PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Neat facts about the football team this year...

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Neat facts about the football team this year...

Postby JasonB » Mon Sep 17, 2001 11:00 pm

- The defense has not given up over 300 yards in a game yet, pretty damn good.

- the other team is 0-14 on third down and seven or greater. They are 2-22 on third and 5 or greater. That is good defense.

- SMU is only 2 for 5 in the redzone, with one missed field goal, one fumble, and one turnover on downs. The opposition is 9 for 9. Wow, that is a telling difference!!!

- Since Cavan came to SMU, We have scored 20 or more points exactly 20 times. We are 16-4 in those games.

- Since Cavan came to SMU, We have scored under 20 points 27 times. We are 2 - 25 in those games.

So, I guess my point is, just open up the offense. Even if we run the ball and score twice and eat up clock, if we are held under 20 points, we are going to lose anyway....
JasonB
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Neat facts about the football team this year...

Postby Guest » Tue Sep 18, 2001 11:50 am

Those are definitely some interesting stats. Seems like most telling of this early season though is turnovers. They always do play a key role in a teams success or failure. If we stop commiting those, we may find ourselves in a few games come the 4th quarter.

Postby PonyExpress » Tue Sep 18, 2001 8:38 pm

JasonB, you've done your homework. Thanks for the info.
PonyExpress
Junior Varsity

Postby stangaholic » Wed Sep 19, 2001 11:32 am

I agree with Swami. Turnovers seem to be the number one problem with the ofense. By turning the ball over your offense can't ever get into a groove...it also makes your D work that much more.
Swami...what's up man. You in town now? Long Live the Fat Kids!
stangaholic

Postby Guest » Wed Sep 19, 2001 12:37 pm

Yes I am in town now stangaholic and will be at the game this weekend. We need to meet up. god i hope we, as a team, show up on Saturday.

Return to Football