PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Player of the game?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Player of the game?

Postby MustangFan » Sat Sep 22, 2001 11:47 pm

Comet was great - five catches, including that unbelievable touchdown grab, and the fourth-down run that kept our chances alive. But my vote goes to Jonas Rutledge -- his kickoff return was unbelievable, and he had several nice defensive plays, including the pass he broke up at the goal line that (had he been able to hold on) would have been a 100-yard INT return for a touchdown. He is a true athlete in the purest definition of the word.

Honarable mention: Kevin Aldridge. Had one series where we stuffed NCState on three straight plays and he was in on all three. Played like a warrior tonight.
MustangFan
All-American

Re: Player of the game?

Postby PonyFan » Sat Sep 22, 2001 11:55 pm

Keylon Kincade was the difference maker. Briggs wore them down, KK ran all over the place. He's our Player of the Game.

What about John Hampton? Had a few nice catches, including the first score as he was falling out of bounds. Came into the game tied for the NATIONAL LEAD in receptions by tight ends. I predict he'll lead the nation's TE's for the season.
"What kind of weirdo school are they running over there in Fort Worth?"
- Randy Galloway
ESPN Radio (103.3 FM)
PonyFan
Heisman

Postby SMUguy » Sun Sep 23, 2001 12:17 am

I vote for the offensive line as co-Players of the Game
"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."
"Hit it."
SMUguy
Heisman

Postby GrapevineMustang » Sun Sep 23, 2001 2:10 am

JONAS!
JONAS!
JONAS!
GrapevineMustang
All-American

Postby WildHorse » Sun Sep 23, 2001 4:06 pm

Cunningham was amazing. I was sitting in the southeast corner of the stadium, closest to where he caught that touchdown. How he went over or between those defenders and got that ball is unknown. Those two guys were a lot bigger than he is, and seemed to have good position. Comet plays with heart and guts. And he had to be pretty fearless on that reverse they called on fourth down in the fourth quarter. Not only was he running without a blocker, running unprotected into the defense, but he also had to have in his mind that fumble on a reverse against LaTech. Whether it was his fault or Luker's doesn't matter - it happened, and got returned for a touchdown. Comet plays like he's the biggest man on the field.
Go PONIES!
WildHorse
All-American

Postby PK » Sun Sep 23, 2001 4:31 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SMUguy:
<B>I vote for the offensive line as co-Players of the Game</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The offensive line did play a great game. They created good holes for the running backs and protected Luker well 98% of the time. In fact, on several occasions, Luker had all the time in the world back there. One area though that the line needs to work on is what its response should be on an interception. It almost seemed that they were immobilized by the interception...they sort of became spectators rather than players on the field. They need to learn to switch to a defensive mode immediately when there is a turnover.

Although we did lose this game, I saw so much to be proud of that unlike previous losses, this one didn't depress me. I saw the making of a D-1 football team last night.
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby GrapevineMustang » Sun Sep 23, 2001 4:39 pm

Well said, PK. I was more proud of the team last night than I've been in a long time, and left Ford Stadium with a huge sense of optimism.

And you're right about the offense switching into a defensive mode. One of the greatest hits I've ever seen was when someone picked off Romo in the first or second year back, and as the guy came back upfield with the ball, Andy Bergfeld (or maybe it was Michael Bowen) lined him up from across the field, raced across and absolutely knocked the snot out of him. Hit him on the sideline, and I don't think the guy even saw him coming. His helmet flew off, and he was crumpled in a heap under the bench, looking to see if all his limbs were still attached. That's the kind of nasty attitude we need. (Then again, we're not throwing any more interceptions this year, so ....)
GrapevineMustang
All-American

Postby MustangMom » Sun Sep 23, 2001 7:07 pm

I saw Chris Post in a number of plays. Comet was incredible, Luker made some perfect passes, Briggs and Kincade strong, and Rutledge super!

But, I say WAY TO PLAY to the entire team! You played great, and made every fan proud. You HAVE turned the corner. Great focus and great effort! North Carolina State has a strong, strong team and you dominated this team most of the game. Way to go Mustangs.

------------------
Go Mustangs!!
-MustangMom
Go Mustangs!!<BR>-MustangMom
MustangMom
Junior Varsity

Return to Football