PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Cavan

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Cavan

Postby Pony Up » Sun Sep 23, 2001 12:05 am

Does this performance change the fans' reaction to Coach Cavan? He had a solid gameplan tonight, and despite two lopsided defeats at the beginning of the season, he had the team motivated and inspired to play tonight. He led the team against a team that was favored by more than TCU was two weeks ago, had to endure the distractions we all faced last week from the tragedies in New York and DC and outside Pittsburgh, and had the team focused. For all the heat he takes, I think he should be commended for doing a good job tonight. Whether that changes his future, we'll see.
Proud to be a PonyFan
Pony Up
All-American

Re: Cavan

Postby FWMustang » Sun Sep 23, 2001 12:13 am

Nope. I think he missed an opportunity to show his team how to win at the end of the first half. He just sat on the ball. We could have put them away and made it difficult for them to come back.

Did we get screwed by having ACC refs again. these guys were brutal. They made up call against SMU and missed NCSU penalties that happened in plain view. SMU did make some brutallly stupid penalties, but the officiating was another contributor to this loss tonight.

Call this an indirect Cavan-affected loss. I still think he needs to go ad Kueck with him. we're still throwing dink & dunk passes when we need big plays. this team has to be able to throw the ball deep to win games.
Go RED! Go BLUE! Go MUSTANGS! S-M-U!!
FWMustang
Varsity

Postby BleedingRed+Blue » Sun Sep 23, 2001 1:09 am

Not sure we got screwed by the ACC refs. They made several calls that looked like they went our way. When Luker dove over the line on third-and-1, it looked like he didn't even get close to the line - and they gave us the first down. Don't think we got screwed by the refs. I thought they were fairly neutral. Certainly couldn't blame the outcome on them.
BleedingRed+Blue
All-American

Postby Horseshoe » Sun Sep 23, 2001 2:19 am

Yeah, I didn't like way we got all conservative at the end of the first half. Seemed like we were playing not to lose, rather than playing to win.
Horseshoe
All-American

Postby GrapevineMustang » Sun Sep 23, 2001 4:25 pm

I think if nothing else, he's certainly safe through the end of the season. But wins and losses will determine it from there.
GrapevineMustang
All-American

Postby PerunaPunch » Mon Sep 24, 2001 11:31 am

Yeah, some of the play calling was making me quesy. Luker tends to throw the ball behind the RBs on those swing passes that we see used to exhaustion. I think Luker does much better throwing downfield. Also, we were discussing how many draws could we possibly run in one game -- that was about two draw plays before NC State stuffed Briggs for a loss.

One the other hand, on third and short they called an end-around and I was cussing like crazy (wife told me 'hush' as I was scaring the kids sitting a couple of rows in front of us)... and it went for 15-ish.

It's awfull easy to second guess play calling.
"It's a couple hundred million dollars. I'm not losing sleep over it." -- David Miller
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Postby PerunaPunch » Mon Sep 24, 2001 2:38 pm

Oops, I was, of course referring to that 4th and 1 play.
"It's a couple hundred million dollars. I'm not losing sleep over it." -- David Miller
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Return to Football