PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Pre-game tribute

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Pre-game tribute

Postby SMUguy » Sun Sep 23, 2001 4:46 pm

We may not have had a military fly-over, or a 100-foot flag stretched across the field, but the pre-game tribute the school offered for the tragedy victims and their families was as powerful as any I've seen.

Special kudos to the Mustang band: Your version of "god bless America" and the national anthem were sensational, and for the first time in my life, gave me goosebumps. The crowd showed great respect, remaining absolutely silent throughout the proceedings (including the moment of silence), before giving the band the ovation it deserved last night.

I've always enjoyed watching the Mustang Band, but last night's performance was one I won't soon forget.
"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."
"Hit it."
SMUguy
Heisman

Re: Pre-game tribute

Postby DallasDiehard » Sun Sep 23, 2001 9:34 pm

Right - the Mustang Band was great. You all did a great job!
Rise up, Mustang Nation!
Go SMU!
DallasDiehard
Heisman

Postby MrMustang1965 » Sun Sep 23, 2001 11:52 pm

Once again, I made the trip up from Houston to see the game. I was in Ford Stadium during warm-ups and then when the Mustang Band took the field for the pre-game observance to the victims of 9-11-01. THIS IS THE MUSTANG BAND I REMEMBER FROM THE 'OLD DAYS' (60s,70s & 80s!) and it was great to hear that 'Mustang Sound' both during the patriotic numbers as well as during half-time and post-game! KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK! (Oh, yeah...is there still a 'Pigskin Revue' show on Homecoming weekend like in the 'old days'? If so, good...if not, shame, shame, shame. Get it back on the schedule!) Only the Mustang Band could pull off two uniform changes in one game! I still love the blue blazers and the white pants as well as the "Mr. Peppermint" red & white jackets! (Only Dallasites will know who Mr. Peppermint is!) And only the Mustang Band could pull off "Pennsylvania 6-5000" just as well as the Glenn Miller Orchestra! WAY TO GO, 99 GUYS AND A DOLL! Image

------------------
"Winning ain't everything...but it's a lot more fun than the alternative!"
MrMustang1965
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby DiamondM » Mon Sep 24, 2001 1:02 pm

Yes. There is still a Pigskin Revue. However, it is only 1 night now, Friday, and is in a more intimate setting with a dinner and a show. Last year was the first time for the new format. It's still great, and now you can have beer while you're watching.
DiamondM
Heisman

Return to Football