PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

FAN SPIRIT

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

FAN SPIRIT

Postby MrMustang1965 » Mon Sep 24, 2001 12:04 am

Yeah...I'm THAT guy! The one who was at mid-field on the press box side, standing up in the bleachers in the red & blue shirt, that TRIED(!) to get the fans on that side of the field yelling for the Mustangs! There were a few who did...but most just looked at me like: who is THIS guy? (Read my previous posting about 'Memories' to understand why I did it!)

How sad it was to actually see THE SMU TEAM MEMBERS(!) turning around to get the fans behind them when they needed it the most!

I think I've figured out what part of the problem with SMU football is...it's become a 'social event' for lots of folks in Dallas! Not a football game where the fans actually go CRAZY for their team but where lots of folks just come to 'socialize' with their neighbors and friends. Here's a clue, folks: socialize at the tailgate parties but GET READY TO YELL AND GO CRAZY FOR THE MUSTANGS ONCE YOUR IN FORD STADIUM!

The game against NC State was the most competitive I've seen the Mustangs in a long time. With a little help from the fans to intimidate the opposition, they *might* have been able to pull a win out of this one!

------------------
"Winning ain't everything...but it's a lot more fun than the alternative!"
MrMustang1965
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: FAN SPIRIT

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Sep 24, 2001 8:19 am

Well said. That's been one of my biggest disappointments as a Mustang fan...lack of fanatical support for our teams. I always feel like I'm at a golf tournament rather than a football/basketball game. I keep hoping that when we start winning, it might just become the thing to do (SMU folks are just SO trendy!

Hang in there. We need more like you. And...long live the fifteen hundred!
Charleston Pony

Postby PK » Mon Sep 24, 2001 12:03 pm

Actually, I thought the fans were doing a pretty good job of yelling for the team, but then I sit in section 103 right next to where the team's parents sit. All in all, the crowd seemed pretty loud to me and I was pleased to look across the field and see a fairly nice turnout of students who were appropriately loud too.

Most amazing of all is that there was not an exodus of fans until the last minute of the game when it was obvious there was no way to overcome a 9 point deficit. It seemed everyone was really into the game. I know I was...it was a joy to see the TEAM playing so well.
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK

Postby Guest » Mon Sep 24, 2001 12:34 pm

While fan attendance and participation was good, we still need to know when to make the noise. There were times when we had NC State in tough 3rd down situations, and no noise was made. Also, when we had the ball and needed a big play, the crowd decides to get up and yell. I know everyone on this board knows how to cheer at a game. Sure wish the rest of ponyfans did too.

Postby DiamondM » Mon Sep 24, 2001 12:48 pm

Section 103 was only loud because I was in it. Image

Actually I think it is good for the team to try to rev up the fans, not a negative statement. What was surprising this game though, is that the fans, for the most part, actually responded.

Now if we could only get the crowd to figure out to yell on an opponent's 3rd down, especially 3rd and long, spontaneously.
DiamondM
Heisman

Postby graypony » Mon Sep 24, 2001 1:28 pm

I was in section 103. I was told by a person in front of me that she bet that I would be hoarse Sunday morning. I didn't care. I was yelling at the refs all night.

Two plays that I thought were back breakers. Had either one of them gone our way, it might have made a big difference. I thought that the possession by each team just after half would tell the tale. Woody Hayes said that the first and last 5 minutes of each half would generally go to the winner. They are critical.

After half, NCS gets the ball on our 45 yd line after numerous penalities, including kicking off out of bounds which is like a 15 yd penality to start the half. On a 3rd and long, they throw down the field, close to our sideline. We do a great job defensively and the ball is knocked up into the air. Another reciever, not the intended reciever, catches it for a crucial 3rd down conversion putting the ball inside our 25. Usually, that ball is icomplete or picked off. They go on to score instead of punting to us. On our next possession, still inside the first 5 minutes of the half, Briggs catches a pass and rambles to the one yd line. We get flagged for holding (probably was a good call and probably wasn't even critical for the play to make big yardage)and do not score until the last quarter. A 14 point turnaround in the first 5 minutes of the second half. Close games are usually decided on such plays and they made them when they had to. After making us look like a junior high team last year, surely NCS realizes that they were very fortunate (lucky) to come away with a victory this year.
graypony
Junior Varsity

Postby PK » Mon Sep 24, 2001 1:41 pm

If you ask me, it sounds like section 103 is a hotbed of fan support...now if we can just get all the other sections to join in... Image

BTW graypony, are you the father of our glorious number 17? If not, then he is probably pretty hoarse today also. He was sitting two rows below me and had a few choice words for the refs on a number of occasions. I loved it!
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK

Postby stangaholic » Mon Sep 24, 2001 4:16 pm

SMU football games have long been a social event for the students. I agree that most of the students there are interested in being seen and not to cheer on the team. What do you expect ... it is SMU after all, but for now...just having people at the games is a good thing. I think that Mustang1965 has the right idea about getting the crowd to cheer.
stangaholic

Postby graypony » Mon Sep 24, 2001 4:50 pm

Actually, 103 is filled with a bunch of us old guys. I think section 102 has most of the other parents. I know #17's parents and they are super people, as is #17.
graypony
Junior Varsity

Postby MrMustang1965 » Mon Sep 24, 2001 6:37 pm

FYI: Mustang spirit is in my blood! My father was a yell leader on The Hilltop during the Walker era and ran Peruna across the field at Ownby and the Cotton Bowl! He still attends the games with one of his yell leader buddies. You should hear them 'hold court' during the games! I think they sit in the same section!

------------------
"Winning ain't everything...but it's a lot more fun than the alternative!"
MrMustang1965

Postby stangfan » Thu Sep 27, 2001 6:25 pm

MrMustang,
I know exactly how you feel. I didn't sit in the student section, but right near it at the 50. People were complaining about their seats being taken but they didn't even come to watch the game or cheer. One girl covered her ears every time I cheered. Although I was overjoyed about our team's play I was let down about fan support. So many people think football games are fashion shows. I say loose the skirts and heels and throw on your fav SMU T-shirt!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MrMustang1965:
<B>Yeah...I'm THAT guy! The one who was at mid-field on the press box side, standing up in the bleachers in the red & blue shirt, that TRIED(!) to get the fans on that side of the field yelling for the Mustangs! There were a few who did...but most just looked at me like: who is THIS guy? (Read my previous posting about 'Memories' to understand why I did it!)

How sad it was to actually see THE SMU TEAM MEMBERS(!) turning around to get the fans behind them when they needed it the most!

I think I've figured out what part of the problem with SMU football is...it's become a 'social event' for lots of folks in Dallas! Not a football game where the fans actually go CRAZY for their team but where lots of folks just come to 'socialize' with their neighbors and friends. Here's a clue, folks: socialize at the tailgate parties but GET READY TO YELL AND GO CRAZY FOR THE MUSTANGS ONCE YOUR IN FORD STADIUM!

The game against NC State was the most competitive I've seen the Mustangs in a long time. With a little help from the fans to intimidate the opposition, they *might* have been able to pull a win out of this one!

</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

------------------
stangfan
stangfan
stangfan
Recruit

Postby stangfan » Thu Sep 27, 2001 6:25 pm

MrMustang,
I know exactly how you feel. I didn't sit in the student section, but right near it at the 50. People were complaining about their seats being taken but they didn't even come to watch the game or cheer. One girl covered her ears every time I cheered. Although I was overjoyed about our team's play I was let down about fan support. So many people think football games are fashion shows. I say loose the skirts and heels and throw on your fav SMU T-shirt!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MrMustang1965:
<B>Yeah...I'm THAT guy! The one who was at mid-field on the press box side, standing up in the bleachers in the red & blue shirt, that TRIED(!) to get the fans on that side of the field yelling for the Mustangs! There were a few who did...but most just looked at me like: who is THIS guy? (Read my previous posting about 'Memories' to understand why I did it!)

</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

------------------
stangfan
stangfan
stangfan
Recruit

Return to Football