PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

FORD STADIUM P.A. SYSTEM

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

FORD STADIUM P.A. SYSTEM

Postby MrMustang1965 » Mon Sep 24, 2001 12:19 am

Will SOMEONE *PLEASE* get the folks who manage/control the Ford Stadium P.A. system to show RESPECT for the SMU Mustang Band! I am so sick and tired of hearing 'rap' music and other 'crud' when the Mustang Band is trying to play GREAT numbers for EVERYONE'S enjoyment during a time-out or during pre-game!

Another 'clue' for the marketing folks at SMU: FANS do *NOT* want to hear the same stuff they can hear on the radio or on MTV at a football game! They want to hear the college bands! They want to get into the SPIRIT of the game! This 'rap' and 'funk' and 'rock' and whatever else you guys are playing at Ford Stadium is not what the FANS want to hear!

And OMG! You played 'Lady Marmalade' THREE FRIGGIN' TIMES BACK-TO-BACK WITHOUT A BREAK during pre-game! WILL SOMEONE PLEASE DO SOMETHING ABOUT THIS!?????

------------------
"Winning ain't everything...but it's a lot more fun than the alternative!"
MrMustang1965
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: FORD STADIUM P.A. SYSTEM

Postby stangaholic » Mon Sep 24, 2001 11:54 am

Although I can't argue with the complaint against playing "'Lady Marmalade' THREE FRIGGIN' TIMES BACK-TO-BACK WITHOUT A BREAK"
I also can't say that the majority of the fans want to hear the band play. I will also say that while the band has many loyal football supporters....their music leaves much to be desired.
stangaholic

Postby DiamondM » Mon Sep 24, 2001 12:56 pm

1. Stangaholic, whatever.

2. I don't mind the canned music at pregame while the band is getting settled. I do mind the same announcements over and over with the PA at a ridiculously loud volume while the band is playing during timeouts.

3. If we're gonna do the shoe shuffle thing, AT LEAST LEAVE IT ON LONG ENOUGH TO SHOW THE END!!. There were at least 2 times where they cut it off before it was over.

4. So the first game we had the words to the unnecessary new fight song on the jumbotron. Do you think someone could figure out a way to put the words to Pony Battle Cry and Varsity up there?!

5. I still wish the pom squad would figure out that our colors are BLUE and red. The NCState poms actually wear black and red getups, so it seemed particularly ridiculous Saturday.

These are nitpicky. It was a great game, heartbreaking though it was. And the crowd was probably the best I've seen them in a long time, I guess the Kansas game. I thought that the band did one of the best halftimes I've seen in a while.
DiamondM
Heisman

Postby PerunaPunch » Mon Sep 24, 2001 2:45 pm

Actually, I thought the P.A. folks were greatly improved. I only heard them drowning out the band once. Plus, at least from where I was sitting, it seams like they have the volume dialed in a little better (pony hooves really rumbling).

Speaking of the band, I really enjoyed them Saturday. When they're not being totally drowned out by TCU's band, they're really sounding good!

Also, loved the way the north endzone was filled up with FCA kids. First of all, those are great student prospects, and secondly, did anyone else notice the frenzy the cheerleaders whipped them into. I wish the rest of us were that LOUD!!
"It's a couple hundred million dollars. I'm not losing sleep over it." -- David Miller
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Postby stangaholic » Mon Sep 24, 2001 3:55 pm

Diamond M:
1. I didn't mean to down grade you flute playing capabilities, but my opinion still stands.
stangaholic

Postby DiamondM » Mon Sep 24, 2001 4:40 pm

Shows how much you know. The Mustang Band does not have flutes (although they may have a few piccolos for brightness) or clarinets, which is partially why the band looks small compared to other bands yet sound pretty much as loud.

I guess all I can say is that you don't know what you've got til its gone. IMO, Canned PA music with no band is a big reason why professional sports venues are generally boring, lifeless, and altogether undesirable as compared to college venues. And if you don't like the repertoire, the number for suggestions is 214-SMU-BAND. Just don't expect NSYNC or Snoop, or whatever crap the local top 40 station is playing these days. Would you like it better if they played "Who let the dogs out?"
DiamondM
Heisman

Postby PK » Mon Sep 24, 2001 4:56 pm

DiamondM: Puleeezz...anything but "Who let the dogs out?"

BTW, at the TCU game, their band was much bigger, but the Mustang Band was MUCH louder with all our brass. Although we don't have any clarinets, we do have saxaphones (it's a brass band, right?).

[This message has been edited by PK (edited 09-24-2001).]
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK

Postby PerunaPunch » Mon Sep 24, 2001 5:40 pm

PK,

Bro, you must either sit right in front of the Mustang Band or your ears are on crack! TCU totally drowned out our band. Pissed me off to no end. To make matters worse, they did it on purpose.

Every time our band would pick up a tune, there's would come in and overpower it.

Give me Souzaphones!! Also, for consideration is reloating the band to the northeast corner. I think being 'inside' the bowl (in the closed end)would be accoustically advantageous. Also, then our band would be situated between the student section and the opponent's section (hehe!).
"It's a couple hundred million dollars. I'm not losing sleep over it." -- David Miller
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Postby DiamondM » Mon Sep 24, 2001 6:15 pm

Yes we need tubas. Anyone want to learn to play and join? It's really not that hard. I did it in high school when I was playing basoon symphonically and picked up both trombone and tuba. I keep trying to tell Tommy and Dave that they need to get some of the flutes and clarinets who want to be in the band to play tuba instead of cymbals or piccolo. Trust me, it can be done. How cool is our current TWIRLER plays tuba in the basketball season?!!
DiamondM
Heisman

Postby PK » Mon Sep 24, 2001 7:44 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by PerunaPunch:
<B>PK,

Bro, you must either sit right in front of the Mustang Band or your ears are on crack! TCU totally drowned out our band. Pissed me off to no end. To make matters worse, they did it on purpose.

Every time our band would pick up a tune, there's would come in and overpower it.

Give me Souzaphones!! Also, for consideration is reloating the band to the northeast corner. I think being 'inside' the bowl (in the closed end)would be accoustically advantageous. Also, then our band would be situated between the student section and the opponent's section (hehe!).</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

As a matter of fact, section 103 where I sit, is directly across from the band, but I was actually refering to the half time performances. Maybe the TCU band didn't sound so loud to me at half time because they were spread out so much across the field and the Mustang band was more concentrated. Who knows.

I like your idea of getting the band in next to the opposing team fans (hehe!).
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK

Postby Mustang Marketing » Mon Sep 24, 2001 7:46 pm

The complaints regarding Lady Marmalade being played three times are justified. That will not happen again. I do apologize for that.

It is agreed that the Mustang Band is a vital part of the gameday atmosphere, and we rarely play any canned music once the game begins. We do, however, have to make announcements throughout the game. We try to limit them during timeouts so that the band can play.

Please remember that we are trying to make the game atmosphere enjoyable for all fans -- students and alums, kids and adults. We appreciate your support and comments. Please keep them coming and GO MUSTANGS!
Mustang Marketing

Postby NavyCrimson » Mon Sep 24, 2001 8:45 pm

'canned-music' in general is OUT!!!! OUT!!!! OUT!!!!

i've never heard it before in any of the games here in the west - that includes usc, ucla, stanford & on & on & on...

& its obvious they've known what they've been doing long before smu ever thought about it & that includes this ...

i give away my tickets every yr since i live out here & the recipient of my tickets (this yr) told me about it & i was embarrassed that smu would even do anything like 'canned-music' - especially this kind of music....he said it was a joke, plus way too loud, the wrong kind of music & then everyone around him were complaining...

no one wonder our marketing dept is in trouble!!!

come on guys...its college football!!!

that type of music doesn't belong!!!!
BRING BACK THE GLORY DAYS OF SMU FOOTBALL!!!

For some strange reason, one of the few universities that REFUSE to use their school colors: Harvard Crimson & Yale Blue.
NavyCrimson
PonyFans.com Legend

Location: Simi Valley-CA (Hm of the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library)

Postby Rambo » Mon Sep 24, 2001 11:00 pm

Alright fellas,

Some of you don't seem to understand a few things.

The band plays the same songs over and over and over and over and over....Don't get me wrong, the band is the maybe most dedicated and probably least appreciated spirit group on campus, but its not the only way to get people pumped.

The music played over the PA is not just for the blue-haired U.P. and HPers. It is for the students and players as well. Several times before and during the game I witnessed the students and players getting into the music. As a former athlete, I know that music with a good beat, and that I like to listen to, even off the field, helps get you hyped. Am I the only one who noticed Comet dancing on the sidekine to the music after he scored? He did, to a rap song.

What's wrong with canned music? Do you want the actual bands to go in the PA booth to play. The SMU band can't play the whole time, plus that would get very old.

The marketing department has maybe one of the most difficult jobs on campus. As much as I love SMU's teams, they aren't the easiest to promote, especially with no money. Give them a little credit. How do you think the dept gets its money, from selling sponsorships, which include PAs. If you don't want them to read so many, give some money to 'em!

Why is that music not appropriate at a college football game? Are you saying that Frank Sinatra would be better, Bing Crosby perhaps? That would only make the old fogies fall asleep faster. Do you not enjoy the Rolling Stones? I do. But I also enjoy 80's rock, rap and just about any other kind of music. Not everyone is like you. When you get verification from more than 50% of a crowd at a game to say that they are there for the band, and that they don't like the music coming from upstairs, THEN you can say that the majority of the people agree with you. I personally do not. Your opinion is yours, mine is mine. However, I do not assume the innocent agree with me, nor do I project my opinion upon them. Assumption is the mother of all screw-ups.

USC, UCLA and Stanford we are not. I don't think people go to games at USC, UCLA, Stanford and the like for the friggin' music! They go watch some good football, which, much to my chagrin, we do not have.

When it boils down to it, you can't be pleased all of the time. Be happy that people ever consider your feelings. I'm sure that the entire athletic department does what it can to please as many people as possible, as often as it can. Get your panties out of their wad and get over your petty complaints. Just come out and enjoy then game. If you don't want to listent to the music, bring a walkman and listen to the game on 1310. And everyone knows that if you are there to listen to the band, you will still be able to hear them over the radio.

DiamondM, I see you up, cheering all the time, especially in Moody, and thanks a million. You rock!

Cheers.....
Viva Ponyball!!!!!
Rambo
Junior Varsity

Postby ponystudent » Mon Sep 24, 2001 11:11 pm

Ford Stadium is modern facility. We paid a million plus for the view board. Who knows how much we spent on the sound system. The sound system and view board are there for a reason, and that is not to just sit there and let the band play peruna 6500 times.

This is the 21st century. Every young fan goer I have talked to agrees with me, the music is great. There is a great balance between the band and the audio/video effects. It is a hell of a lot better than the Cotton Bowl. I like the band but they get old, and by no means do I mean disrespect, without them it would suck, but I think the effects people are doing one hell of a tough job and they are doing it well.

Not everyone can have their way…and relize we are not in the 1913’s anymore, music has changed, there is a reason why snoop diggity dawg is in the top 40, BECAUSE A LARGE MAJORITY LIKES HIS MUSIC!

And shutup when it comes to complaining about announcements and ads…that is called capitalism, we need the money bad. I would not complain if they ran ads the whole game, hey, maybe then our team could stay in the hotel the night before a game!

------------------
Go Ponies!
Go Ponies!
ponystudent
Junior Varsity

Postby MrMustang1965 » Tue Sep 25, 2001 6:23 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Rambo:
<B>Alright fellas,

Some of you don't seem to understand a few things.

(Trust me, 'Rambo'...I understand a LOT these days!)

The band plays the same songs over and over and over and over and over....Don't get me wrong, the band is the maybe most dedicated and probably least appreciated spirit group on campus, but its not the only way to get people pumped.

(I agree that the Mustang Band is not the only way to 'get people pumped'...how about having the 'yell leaders' do that?)

The music played over the PA is not just for the blue-haired U.P. and HPers.

(Hmmm...seems we're beginning to show our prejudices now, aren't we, 'Rambo'? For the record, I'm *not* a blue-haired UP or HPer...far from it at this point in my life!)

It is for the students and players as well.
Several times before and during the game I witnessed the students and players getting into the music.

(Oh, I'm sorry...I thought we were supposed to be at a FOOTBALL GAME! *NOT* a rock, rap or pop concert! And if there were football players 'getting into the music' instead of 'the game', then Cavan has more troubles ahead than I've already outlined in previous messages on this board!)

As a former athlete, I know that music with a good beat, and that I like to listen to, even off the field, helps get you hyped.

(No argument that 'music with a good beat' helps you get hyped but I would sincerely hope that your coach monitored the appropriate times to listen to it and not. Maybe that's another one of the problems at SMU football...not enough discipline!)

Am I the only one who noticed Comet dancing on the sidekine to the music after he scored? He did, to a rap song.

(Once again...lack of discipline by the coaches. 'Comet' can do this when, and if, he gets to the pro leagues. This isn't the time or place for it!)

What's wrong with canned music? Do you want the actual bands to go in the PA booth to play. The SMU band can't play the whole time, plus that would get very old.

(See Navy & Crimson's post about 'canned music' at other collegiate games. I agree with him. You'd be surprised how long the SMU band can play! I heard 'em play "Peruna" once for about 10 minutes to outpsyche the UT Longhorns for a victory!)

The marketing department has maybe one of the most difficult jobs on campus. As much as I love SMU's teams, they aren't the easiest to promote, especially with no money. Give them a little credit. How do you think the dept gets its money, from selling sponsorships, which include PAs. If you don't want them to read so many, give some money to 'em!

(I give 'em money and so do other members of my family...who are seriously considering withdrawing their cash and/or contributions if this kind of crud continues!)

Why is that music not appropriate at a college football game? Are you saying that Frank Sinatra would be better, Bing Crosby perhaps?
That would only make the old fogies fall asleep faster.

(Oops! There's that prejudice again against the Greatest Generation.)

Do you not enjoy the Rolling Stones? I do. But I also enjoy 80's rock, rap and just about any other kind of music. Not everyone is like you.

(As a matter of fact, I'm pretty diverse in my music selections. I like the Stones (to a degree) and other rock/pop/funk/rap/jazz, etc. But, again, I would like to point out...this is a FOOTBALL GAME not a musical event.)

When you get verification from more than 50% of a crowd at a game to say that they are there for the band, and that they don't like the music coming from upstairs, THEN you can say that the majority of the people agree with you. I personally do not. Your opinion is yours, mine is mine. However, I do not assume the innocent agree with me, nor do I project my opinion upon them. Assumption is the mother of all screw-ups.

(Alright. If the SMU marketing folks are monitoring this board, as I suspect they are since they responded to this post, why not poll the crowd at the next game to see what they prefer?)

USC, UCLA and Stanford we are not. I don't think people go to games at USC, UCLA, Stanford and the like for the friggin' music! They go watch some good football, which, much to my chagrin, we do not have.

(And you've hit the nail on the head! We should strive to emulate those programs! You're a former athlete from SMU, correct? I would hope you feel the same way!)

When it boils down to it, you can't be pleased all of the time. Be happy that people ever consider your feelings. I'm sure that the entire athletic department does what it can to please as many people as possible, as often as it can. Get your panties out of their wad and get over your petty complaints.

(Sorry, don't wear panties. Never have, never will. Not my *style* Image. Petty complaints? Maybe to you but to me they're valid points that I feel I'm entitled to voice as a ticket-buying fan of SMU football)

Just come out and enjoy then game. If you don't want to listent to the music, bring a walkman and listen to the game on 1310. And everyone knows that if you are there to listen to the band, you will still be able to hear them over the radio.

(I'm not there to 'hear the band'...I'm there to show 100% support for SMU football and that includes supporting the band and other 'spirit-minded' folks who want to see them succeed!)

DiamondM, I see you up, cheering all the time, especially in Moody, and thanks a million. You rock!

Cheers.....</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
MrMustang1965

Next

Return to Football