PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

FORD STADIUM P.A. SYSTEM

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: FORD STADIUM P.A. SYSTEM

Postby MrMustang1965 » Tue Sep 25, 2001 6:38 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ponystudent:
<B>Ford Stadium is modern facility. We paid a million plus for the view board. Who knows how much we spent on the sound system. The sound system and view board are there for a reason, and that is not to just sit there and let the band play peruna 6500 times.

This is the 21st century. Every young fan goer I have talked to agrees with me, the music is great. There is a great balance between the band and the audio/video effects. It is a hell of a lot better than the Cotton Bowl. I like the band but they get old, and by no means do I mean disrespect, without them it would suck, but I think the effects people are doing one hell of a tough job and they are doing it well.

Not everyone can have their way…and relize we are not in the 1913’s anymore, music has changed, there is a reason why snoop diggity dawg is in the top 40, BECAUSE A LARGE MAJORITY LIKES HIS MUSIC!

And shutup when it comes to complaining about announcements and ads…that is called capitalism, we need the money bad. I would not complain if they ran ads the whole game, hey, maybe then our team could stay in the hotel the night before a game!
</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the show of 'respect', "PonyStudent", by telling me to 'shutup'. Your parents must be proud! Image But you're entitled to your opinions as am I.

The team "staying in a hotel the night before a game"??? We're *not* the visiting team at Ford Stadium! OMG! Where are your priorities!?

------------------
"Winning ain't everything...but it's a lot more fun than the alternative!"
MrMustang1965
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby stangaholic » Tue Sep 25, 2001 6:56 pm

Mustang1965:
FYI The team does normally stay in a hotel the night before home games. It enables the players to concentrate on the game. It also allows the coaches to control diet and know where there players are.
stangaholic

Postby Rambo » Tue Sep 25, 2001 7:18 pm

OK 1965, You have many points, many of which have nothing to do with the music. Discipline etc. etc.

As far as I'm concerned Comet can dance whenever the hack he wants to. I saw more fire in that team Saturday than I have in years.

Yell leaders would work, if people would pay attention to them. Most of the time the fans just sit there. You couldn't get alot of the fans up if you lit an fire under 'em! Should much of the attacks about the emotion in the stadium be directed at the fans instead of the people busting their butts at the game.

Youare right, it is not a rock concert, it is a football game, in the freakin year 2001! Football is not static, it moves and changes with society. Do football players still wear the same uniforms they did 10 years ago? No they change with the times, as does the atmosphere. Learn to adapt!

Hearing Peruna that much would make many people's ears bleed. I like that song, but some on, moderation.

I bet you do give alot of money to SMU, but not to the marketing office. I would guess that you are Mustang Club member. That money does not go as far as you'd think into the marketing office, if at all. It goes to the programs for the most part. All you give is apprectiated though.

It is not realistic to poll 20,000 people at a football game. That remark reminds me of the movie "Back to School." You remember, Robert Downey Jr. tells the butthead that he has to get a note from everyone in line to cut into the line. Get real. I would imagine that mostly (and this is not ment to be slandering) older fans would complain that the music is not fun and/or appropriate. I know that alot of the music they play is *top 40* (whats with the stars instead of quotation marks, just wondering, no biggy) but many people like it. Much of the music played is from when people ages 25-40 were in high school and college. They love that music. You cannot deny that there are many young and middle-aged adults in the crowd, even in the beloved mustang club section.

SMU should strive to emulate those other schools, but on the field. Since we don't have a program like USC or UCLA we have to try and tap into outside fanbases. I know people in LA that played for USC in the 70s and still go to every game. They have a team that is always exciting to watch. And God bless us, we don't. We have to compete with the Cowboys, the Stars, the Rangers and the rest of the "Dallas scene." If you go to any of those teams' games, they rock the house, big time. People, that give a heck of alot more money to those clubs than anyone (sans GJF, LH and the like) gives SMU, enjoy the atmosphere there.

It sounds like your big beef is with the program and the team, not the marketing office.

One last thing, in no way would I call what you do 100% support of SMU Football. I am a spirit-minded person, you don't support me. Pah-leeze.

-End-
Viva Ponyball!!!!!
Rambo
Junior Varsity

Postby PK » Tue Sep 25, 2001 9:37 pm

I enjoy a lot of different kinds of music, but have to admit that rap is one I have no affinity for at all. It's rather sad to me that we feel we have to emulate the pro sports venues to attract fans....but so be it. If blaring out amplified music will get more fans in the stands, then I'll tolerate it, but I go to the game to see the GAME not to be intertained with music. When I watch a game on TV, I don't have the stereo blaring away in the back ground....but then I'm begining to ramble on....sorry.

Before the game -- OK. During the second half of half time when the other team does not have a band there -- OK. During the game itself -- THUMBS DOWN.
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK

Postby ponystudent » Tue Sep 25, 2001 11:22 pm

<B>The team "staying in a hotel the night before a game"??? We're *not* the visiting team at Ford Stadium! OMG! Where are your priorities!?</B>

My priorities are with the SMU Mustangs being a Division I, NCAA, competitive team. Due to budget issues, the team doesn't stay in hotels before home games. This is something that SMU has always done in the past and we are the only D-I school that I have heard of that doesn't. Someone posted the reasons for staying in the hotel in a previous post, but if you want me to list some more or repeat them I would be happy to.

And MrMustang1965, I did not mean to insult you by saying shutup, I was merely trying to get a pretty clear point across that income is a good thing, especially for our program. I also get tired of people bashing the marketing department. I know these guys and they bust their butts at what they do. They have no money and they lose sleep over how to get these students to support their school. Unfortunatly, the administration has trouble compling with a lot of their ideas.

------------------
Go Ponies!
Go Ponies!
ponystudent
Junior Varsity

Postby Joyous » Tue Sep 25, 2001 11:37 pm

This topic is 2 pages long. Mr. Mustang1965 this is 2001. If Comet wanted to celebrate after his touchdown I don't think he had to be in the NFL to do it. The touchdown put SMU ahead and I do not think he even heard music playing if it was. If you were cheering as loud as I was and the people around me I don't think you would have heard music either. In fact I didn't even see the dance but wish I had. Are you a person that is just looking for something to complain about? Be happy that the team played hard and was very competitive. I personally could care less what type of music they play. Apparently someone likes it. Focus on the game and you will have a better time. I even have some pompoms you can borrow. Have a great day. And, some people call me JACK!
Joyous
Varsity

Postby MrMustang1965 » Tue Sep 25, 2001 11:46 pm

Alright. I've had my say. Hopefully, the folks in the marketing dept. are listening/reading this thread. I'm sure their job is not an easy one. Do I just want to 'complain'? No. I want SMU football to be the best it can be! That goes all the way from the coaches to the players to the fans to the band to the PA system, etc. And I agree with one of the other 'posters' on this site: use that jumbotron to post the lyrics to "Varsity" and "Hail to the Red and the Blue" and "The Star Spangled Banner". It amazes me how many people don't know the words to any of these songs! As always...GO MUSTANGS!

------------------
"Winning ain't everything...but it's a lot more fun than the alternative!"
MrMustang1965

Previous

Return to Football