PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

3 WORDS FOR CAVAN: RUN THE BALL!

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

3 WORDS FOR CAVAN: RUN THE BALL!

Postby MrMustang1965 » Mon Sep 24, 2001 2:55 am

What bonehead decided to pass so deep in Wolfpack territory especially when the running game was working well? Is this another page from Cavan's "Comedy of Errors"?

From "The Dallas Morning News", 9-23-01

Down by two points with 3:39 left in the game and deep in SMU territory, Mustangs quarterback Kelan Luker threw a lateral pass that hit the referee and was recovered in the end zone by North Carolina State.

Final score: North Carolina State 26, SMU 17.

"It's the worst way to lose, coming so close, playing a really good team," Luker said.
Luker said he was trying to throw the ball out of bounds as defensive end Corey Smith was
dragging him down. The pass was supposed to go to running back Keylon Kincade.

"The quarterback, No. 7, was chased straight back and let the ball go at about the 2," referee Jack Childress said. "I was straddling the goal line, and when he threw the ball, I immediately motioned that it was a lateral. The ball hit me on the left thigh, and it is still a live ball after it hit me."

The play wasn't the sole reason SMU lost. But given that the team was running the ball
almost at will and the defense was playing well, the turnover played a big part in the loss. It was a crushing defeat for the Mustangs, who have desperately been looking for a positive note in this 0-3 start to the season.

------------------
"Winning ain't everything...but it's a lot more fun than the alternative!"
MrMustang1965
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Return to Football