PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Some credit to the coaches

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Some credit to the coaches

Postby SMUPonyFan » Mon Sep 24, 2001 3:34 am

It was a great game. I think the play calling was better than past games, but still not up to potential. Errors did cost us the game, but I think better play calling might have also helped. Someone already said it, but Freeman and Taylor never had chances. I would have liked to see Freeman line up behind the line of scrimmage for a big run or even a misdirection play to him.

Everyone is saying the play calling was better, and I think it was, but it wasn't better enough(does that make sense?) It seemed a lot better because the running game was working--I was very surprised. In most games we run the same plays, they just don't work. Last night we ran mostly the same plays and they worked...so fans say it was better calling. I do want to give the coaches credit for that 4th and 1 play. That was awesome. I was one of the fans that wanted to go for it...the coaches and team really had nothing to lose, and they lost nothing. Good job on that coaches.

Any way...my opinions are, using all of our passing game targets, mixing the calling up a little more, some decent refs, fans that know what is going on and when to yell and how long to yell for, and we might just win some games.

<B>PS: I think the big TD pass from Luker to Comet was a broken play, just like most of our big TD plays are. Maybe we should just send the receivers deep on free style routes...hey it couldn't hurt could it?</B>

------------------
Go Red, Go Blue, Go Mustangs, S M U

[This message has been edited by SMUPonyFan (edited 09-24-2001).]
Go Red, Go Blue, Go Mustangs, S M U
SMUPonyFan
Varsity

Return to Football