PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Actual student fans? I like it!

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Actual student fans? I like it!

Postby ponytalk » Mon Sep 24, 2001 10:34 pm

At the past two home games, there was a group of guys in the endzone with ties and they had a bell. They are real enthusiastic student fans and they could generate some interest in sports from students. Who are these guys, what are they, are they going to be around for all sports or just football?

I am just confused to see some student interest in SMU sports, football especially.

I think they also got some TV time on Fox. Way to go whomever headed this thing up!

------------------
ponytalk
Varsity

Re: Actual student fans? I like it!

Postby CBD » Tue Sep 25, 2001 5:00 pm

Wow! Thanks for the words of encouragement! Our group is called the Squires. We are a brand new SMU spirit organization for men. Every home game we will be located on the grassy area in the south end zone of Ford Stadium and are in charge of ringing the new spirit bell after SMU touchdowns and field goals. We are also hoping SMU’s Marketing Dept. for athletics will also utilize the Squires to carry out marketing ideas during halftime if need be (i.e. throwing t-shirts and miniature footballs into the crowd, etc.). Our main purpose is to support the SMU football team, help spark interest and spirit in SMU athletics and recognize those students who embody SMU pride. Right now we are focusing on the football season to see how that goes… it is our hope that the Squires will be around for a long time so that a new tradition in SMU athletic fan support is born. We are extremely open to any new ideas or suggestions… so please post any ideas or comments…

Great game on Saturday Mustangs! Both lines were great… you guys played your hearts out!

- The Squires
CBD

Postby MrMustang1965 » Tue Sep 25, 2001 5:34 pm

Way to go, Squires! I also saw you guys in the south end zone and was happy to see you!

If you really want to 'push the envelope' with the SMU marketing dept., look at my posting on 09-10-01 at 4:50 p.m. titled "It's Time For A Change All The Way Around". Maybe you guys could tackle this! If the FCA can get those many kids at a game, imagine what you guys could do! Good luck!

------------------
"Winning ain't everything...but it's a lot more fun than the alternative!"
MrMustang1965
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby NavyCrimson » Tue Sep 25, 2001 10:07 pm

GO SQUIRES GO!!!

GREAT JOB - WE NEED YA!!!!!

KEEP IT UP!!!!!
BRING BACK THE GLORY DAYS OF SMU FOOTBALL!!!

For some strange reason, one of the few universities that REFUSE to use their school colors: Harvard Crimson & Yale Blue.
NavyCrimson
PonyFans.com Legend

Location: Simi Valley-CA (Hm of the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library)

Postby MustangMom » Tue Sep 25, 2001 10:45 pm

SQUIRES, I thought you were great! Keep up the good work and the spirit.

------------------
Go Mustangs!!
-MustangMom
Go Mustangs!!<BR>-MustangMom
MustangMom
Junior Varsity

Postby smu'06 » Tue Sep 25, 2001 11:39 pm

Dear Squires-
Prospective SMU Student - I will be headed down for the Fresno game, if I decide on SMU (my first choice) - how would I join the squires?
University of South Carolina Student and Fan
SMU Fan and possible Law Student
smu'06
Junior Varsity

Return to Football