PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Peruna banned

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Peruna banned

Postby RSine » Tue Sep 25, 2001 4:57 pm

For those of you who didn't notice...
Peruna was banned from the field for the entire second half of the game. 72 years of tradition were sent down the drain by the ACC officials who thought Peruna was a danger to everybody on the field. This happened when he got loose for all of five seconds and stood and started to eat the grass. Security guards told the Peruna Handlers that if Peruna was to step onto the field for the rest of the game all of them would be ejected. Some of you might have noticed the two handlers running with empty lead ropes down the field after the third quarter. Just thought everybody should know about this injustice.
RSine

Re: Peruna banned

Postby PerunaPunch » Tue Sep 25, 2001 5:37 pm

Miniature horses a menace? Golly, makes one wonder what they'll ban next as a potential field hazzard. Grasshoppers??

Since when did refs have that kind of authority? It's not the ACC Ref stadium; it's Gerald J. Ford Stadium. Can they tell the cheerleaders to leave the sidelines? You know there's a very real danger of pom-pom whip.
"It's a couple hundred million dollars. I'm not losing sleep over it." -- David Miller
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Postby MrMustang1965 » Tue Sep 25, 2001 5:41 pm

Are you friggin' kiddin' us? IT'S OUR FIELD! I did see one of the handlers fall at about the 40 yard line after SMU's touchdown and lose his grasp of the lead while the other handler continue running after Peruna who had gotten away from him/her. But Peruna just sauntered into the end zone.

The last time something like this happened was at Kyle Field but that was on someone else's turf!

THIS IS AN OUTRAGE! JUST WHO THE HELL IS IN CHARGE AT SMU THESE DAYS? AM I GONNA HAVE TO COME UP THERE FROM HOUSTON AND OPEN UP A CAN O' WHUP [deleted] ON SOMEONE IN THE ADMINISTRATION? I AM APPALLED!

------------------
"Winning ain't everything...but it's a lot more fun than the alternative!"
MrMustang1965
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PK » Tue Sep 25, 2001 5:51 pm

Excuse me...the security people said what??? I thought they worked for SMU!!! I can understand the officiating staff's concern as they have probably never been around a wild, nasty, bucking bronco shetland pony the size of a great dane before out on the east coast. They probably thought he would rear up, attack them and trample them to death.

I would be more concerned of Peruna being injured by an offensive lineman (or a ref for that matter) running into him accidentally then anything else.

[This message has been edited by PK (edited 09-25-2001).]
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK

Postby stangaholic » Tue Sep 25, 2001 6:26 pm

To the glue factory with Peruna!
Possibly this way we can get a REAL MUSTANG ... one that could do some damage if it got loose.
stangaholic

Postby MrMustang1965 » Tue Sep 25, 2001 6:30 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by stangaholic:
<B>To the glue factory with Peruna!
Possibly this way we can get a REAL MUSTANG ... one that could do some damage if it got loose.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Whoa! That's not nice...besides, Peruna is one of the few animal mascots still allowed in NCAA sports. Show some respect! And, for the record, 'real Mustangs' are an 'endangered species' that are not allowed in captivity unless severely injured or emaciated.

------------------
"Winning ain't everything...but it's a lot more fun than the alternative!"
MrMustang1965

Postby RSine » Tue Sep 25, 2001 7:04 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by stangaholic:
<B>To the glue factory with Peruna!
Possibly this way we can get a REAL MUSTANG ... one that could do some damage if it got loose.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Peruna, like I said earlier, is part of 72 years of tradition. I thought recently we were trying to embrace traditions at SMU. Do we really want a big horse instead and copying Texas Tech and the like? Besides, Peruna is probably the closest thing to a Mustang we could have. Granted he is very tame but he is also somewhat unbroken which by all accounts is part of the requirement of being a mustang. Any horse would have to be broken and therefore no longer be a true mustang. I'm sick and tired of people saying we need a "REAL MUSTANG." Quit complaining and embrace the spirit and tradition of SMU.
RSine

Postby stangaholic » Tue Sep 25, 2001 7:20 pm

I for one think that the MUSTANGS should be represented by a MUSTANG not some little crappy pony. I don't care if the real mustangs are endangered...fine get a horse...so long as it resembles a mustang and not a large dog. And you can be "sick" all you want about the Peruna being replaced...the pony is still inadequate.

If you really feel that bad for Peruna...take him home...let him live in your back yard...take him for walks when you get home form work....
stangaholic

Postby SMU00 » Tue Sep 25, 2001 7:27 pm

That is completely insane.

By peering into my crystal ball, I predict the following decisions:
~ It will be determined that the grass at Ford Stadium is too slippery for the lazy officials as they chug up and down the sidelines (after choking down their pre-game platter of BBQ, washing that down with a couple liters of Dr Pepper and puffing their pre-game smokes). Ford's beautiful playing surface will be replaced with a synthetic surface made from some material that resembles a blend of Velcro and sandpaper.
~ The game balls will be deflated by 50 percent after a visiting official determines that Kelan Luker just throws too hard, and if you're not careful, those things can hurt the way he throws it. Kicking game will noticeably.
~ Officials decree that the goalposts must be sawed off, with each side being shortened by at least 10 feet. The fear, the crew chief announces, is that Dallas sometimes is the site of inclement weather, and it would just be a shame if one of the goalposts got struck by lightning, snapped in half and fell on the back judge's noggin. That, the official release said, would leave a mark on his head would require an aspirin or two.
~ All placekickers and punters will be required to wear shinguards. This decision is reached when the umpire shows up late at a game after watching his daughter's youth soccer game, and those little rascals looked really cute in them. Why, the umpire figures, shouldn't Adam Walterscheid, Jacob Crowley and the rest also look cute? Besides, the shinguards reduce bruises.
~ After an all-night slumber party the night before the game at which the game officials ate s'mores, drank chocolate milk and watched "Ghostbusters" all night, the officials put their heads together and determined that players would be much safer from potential injury if they scrapped the traditional football uniforms in favor of an inflated suit designed along the lines of the "Stay-Puff Marshamallow Man" character's costume in "Ghostbusters." Nobody notices the change until some of the thinner wide receivers and defensive backs come out for pre-game warm-ups and float away in a light northeasterly breeze.
~ Another menace to society, carbonated beverages, are banned from Ford Stadium because game officials rule that a strong belch from that balding guy in the seventh row can be pretty durn distracting. Soft drinks are no longer sold in the stadium, meaning folks who want to sneak in some cocktails (never, not at SMU) have to smuggle in TWO flasks, one in each boot. Because of the new proportions, the self-made cocktails seem a lot stronger than in years past.
~ All cheerleaders and members of the pom squad are instructed never to raise their arms during the game. The theory is that after they've been out there sweating a while, the stench will draw a swarm of flies to the field. Fans will be unable to see through the buzzing cloud, players will be unable to see the ball and one of those little suckers just might fly into someone's eye. Cheerleaders no longer lead cheers with lifts or actual arm movements, foregoing their traditional gymnastic routines in favor of a series of oversized flashcards they can aim at the crowd with nothing more than a flick of their wrists.

---------------------

Come on, Mr. Copeland, crack down on these officials. Peruna's a menace? Puh-leeze!!!!
SMU00
Junior Varsity

Postby PK » Tue Sep 25, 2001 9:25 pm

If you want to get rid of a Peruna....get rid of the one that walks around in the stands. The only things that looks worse is Tulsa's Golden Huricane (looks like a tornado to me) and TCU's Frog.

Yes, the real Peruna is just a cute Shetland pony and not a macho real Mustang, but it is just a Mascot. A real horse in order to be manageable would have to be ridden and then you would just be a Texas Tech and would most certainly not be allowed on the playing field itself. I would rather our team be the macho "Mustangs" and let Peruna be the traditional symbol that it has always been for school spirit. Tradition is not by definition bad....so few organizations other than college football teams have any real tradition anymore. We should cherish the ones we have and add to them when possible.
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK

Postby NavyCrimson » Tue Sep 25, 2001 9:30 pm

this is nuts....every time i read something on this board or the other one smu has either screwed up something or given it away - & now PERUNA!!!!!!!!

MY GOSH - when is this $%## school going to do something right???!!! I MEAN - EVEN STAND FOR SOMETHING RIGHT???!!!

AND I'M SERIOUS, TOO!!!!

WE'VE GIVEN AWAY EVERYTHING BUT THE KITCHEN SINK & THAT'S PROBABLY NEXT!!!! & WHEN YOU GIVE-IN EVEN ON YOUR OWN TURF!!!! FORGET IT!!!! ITS TIME TO GO HOME!!!!
BRING BACK THE GLORY DAYS OF SMU FOOTBALL!!!

For some strange reason, one of the few universities that REFUSE to use their school colors: Harvard Crimson & Yale Blue.
NavyCrimson
PonyFans.com Legend

Location: Simi Valley-CA (Hm of the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library)

Postby smu'06 » Tue Sep 25, 2001 11:46 pm

What part of a screwed up home and home deal did Copeland or Cavan/schedule allow for ACC refs at Ford Stadium? Were there WAC Refs last year in Raleigh?
That is a screwed up way to get the home and home - SMU and its scheduling dept. should be able to do better.
If we have to use other refs - might as well be Big 12 for Texas, aTm, Oklahoma, or even Texas Tech - we need to start playing the big boys - one of these days the mighty mustang will return - and revive the ponies of old.
I say play Texas - if we have to - twice in Austin once in Dallas - may show some commitment to a return to the big time and help with recruits.
Start playing the Big 12- if they're too tough - shock some Pac 10 or Big East school - they're both over-rated with one or two exceptions.
University of South Carolina Student and Fan
SMU Fan and possible Law Student
smu'06
Junior Varsity

Postby SMUPonyFan » Wed Sep 26, 2001 1:25 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by smu'06:
<B>What part of a screwed up home and home deal did Copeland or Cavan/schedule allow for ACC refs at Ford Stadium? Were there WAC Refs last year in Raleigh?
</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My understanding is that the visiting team has their conference refs...so that would mean there were WAC refs last year. There were BIG XII refs for the Kansas opener on 9-2-2000.

------------------
Go Red, Go Blue, Go Mustangs, S M U
Go Red, Go Blue, Go Mustangs, S M U
SMUPonyFan
Varsity

Postby RSine » Wed Sep 26, 2001 3:42 pm

Just to defend some of the people you are bashing. I'm not sure who was on the other end of the headsets that the security guys were talking to but there were several people who thought it was wrong to have Peruna banned from the field. They were willing to take the blame for it if he did take a step on the field. Those people need to have our thanks. Don't blame them and other people at SMU. The only people I blame for the whole fiasco are the ACC refs who made a bad calls against SMU including that one.
RSine

Return to Football