PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Football this Weekend

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Football this Weekend

Postby PerunaPunch » Wed Sep 26, 2001 3:12 pm

A lovely fall weekend without Mustang football is a crime against humanity!

I must be the only person in the office who is in town this week... and there's no football.
"It's a couple hundred million dollars. I'm not losing sleep over it." -- David Miller
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Re: Football this Weekend

Postby PK » Wed Sep 26, 2001 3:32 pm

Not only is there no football, there are no home games/meets/matches of any of our sports this weekend. Maybe I'll go to a sports bar and see if I can watch NC State beat up on UNC (that would make me feel even better about last Saturdays game) or whoever is playing TCU beat up on TCU.

This will be a long weekend.
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby RedRiverPony » Wed Sep 26, 2001 4:47 pm

<<I must be the only person in the office who is in town this week... and there's no football. >>

And that includes, of course, the Cowboys, who also don't play football. Here's hoping they go 0-16.
RedRiverPony
All-American

Postby PerunaPunch » Wed Sep 26, 2001 4:59 pm

RedRiverPony,

As much as I dislike the not so subtle implication of your e-mail, unfortunately, I am forced to agree with you.

So what's the deal, not supporting the CBoys now that your Henrietta kid (Troy) is gone?
"It's a couple hundred million dollars. I'm not losing sleep over it." -- David Miller
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Postby PerunaPunch » Wed Sep 26, 2001 5:02 pm

Common the Cowboys aren't THAT bad. Looking at our women's volleyball team last Saturday, I'm pretty sure THEY could whip the stinkin' Redskins. Try 2-14, with the two being a sweep of the Skins.

Ain't that right, Whatasteve?
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Postby RedRiverPony » Wed Sep 26, 2001 6:37 pm

DOn't know who would win - they're both terrible. Somehow I just think Tony Banks will be a little bit less incompetant than Quincy Carter. Neither one is good, though.

What's whatasteve mean?
RedRiverPony
All-American

Postby PerunaPunch » Thu Sep 27, 2001 1:07 pm

'Whatasteve' is a highly sarcastic nickname for a certain Redskins fanatic that frequents ponyfans.com.

You see, Whatasteve considers himself to be something of a burger connoisseur. However, he's from up north where they consider White Castle to be gourmet dining. Anyway, one day after giving myself and some others his longwinded diatribe about the pros and cons of various burger establishments, he was asked how he rated Whataburger, at which point, he admitted he'd never been there.

So we promptly christened the nincompoop 'Whatasteve'.

Although we must concede that First
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Postby PerunaPunch » Thu Sep 27, 2001 1:09 pm

As I was saying...

Although we must admit that not only is First & 10 (on Mockingbird at Abrams) a good Mustang sports fan hangout, they also whip up one heck of an amazing burger.
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Postby PK » Thu Sep 27, 2001 1:32 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by PerunaPunch:
<B>As I was saying...

Although we must admit that not only is First & 10 (on Mockingbird at Abrams) a good Mustang sports fan hangout, they also whip up one heck of an amazing burger.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Have you ever had a hamburger or cheeseburger at Campisi's? Yes, I said Campisi's...I've had burgers at First & 10 and they are good, but I'll take a burger at Campisi's anyday over a First & 10 burger. Plus the cottage fries at Campisi's are fantastic...not greasy and limp like the ones at First & 10. Unfortunately, Campisi's is not a sports bar and as such they don't have the large screen TVs like First & 10, but if SMU is on TV, there is a very good chance Campisi's will have it on their smaller sets.

[This message has been edited by PK (edited 09-27-2001).]
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK

Postby PerunaPunch » Thu Sep 27, 2001 3:50 pm

No kidding? Looks like my lunch plans for tomorrow just changed!

Hey, anyplace with a Mustang's helmet over the bar counts as a Mustang's sports bar in my book. And since they've expanded, no waiting!!

Whatasteve, how about it? Campisi's for the great cheeseburger cookoff?
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Postby PK » Thu Sep 27, 2001 4:54 pm

PerunaPunch, Let me know if you agree with me. Campisi's uses hand made patties using real ground beef and not flaked beef compressed into a round or square patty. The waiters/waitresses may give you a strange look when you order it because not too many people do, but it is on the menu and they are like you use to get before Mac burgers were invented. BTW, they also have a fantastic 16oz strip steak that most people don't seem to know about either.
PK

Postby whatasteve » Fri Sep 28, 2001 5:11 pm

PK, I hate to disagree with you, but I must. Had lunch at Campisi's with PerunaPunch, and we each took your advice and went with the cheesburger. Not bad, but nowhere near as good as 1st and 10. Tasty, but nothing special. And the fries, although not as greasy as 1st and 10's, aren't as tasty. Better service at 1st and 10.

All in all, it's decent, but 1st and 10 is the place to go. Best burger in Dallas. Without question.
whatasteve
Junior Varsity

Postby PK » Fri Sep 28, 2001 5:36 pm

Whatasteve, I'm glad you tried it and I'll give First & 10 another try, but different tastes is what makes the world go round. Go back some evening and try the steak...that I think you will like.
PK

Postby MrMustang1965 » Fri Sep 28, 2001 11:54 pm

What? You mean no one nominated Burger House on Hillcrest (just south of Lovers Lane) in Snider Plaza as the BEST burger in Dallas? And it's within walking distance of the SMU campus! I grew up on Mr. Koustabardis' hamburgers! Ain't none better in Big D OR Houston, for that matter!

------------------
"Winning ain't everything...but it's a lot more fun than the alternative!"
MrMustang1965

Postby whatasteve » Sat Sep 29, 2001 7:23 pm

PK - I will go back and try the steak. Always up for a good steak. (And I couldn't agree more about the "different tastes" comment - you're right on with that one.)

And MrMustang 1965, I don't know if you heard, but I heard Mr. Koustabardis, the former owner of Burger House, passed away a couple of months ago. He was a good man and a loyal supporter of SMU - he'll be missed.
whatasteve
Junior Varsity

Next

Return to Football