PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

StangGang 18 (18)

Discuss SMU recruiting in this forum.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: StangGang 18 (19)

Postby Stallion » Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:50 pm

Cameron Phillips Senior highlights-I think he'll be able to help relatively early at Safety-really like his size and acceleration from stop. I know the Coaches love the Dylan Horton kid but I'd be surprised if he didn't grow out of the Safety position at 6-4. Great prospect though-somewhere

https://www.hudl.com/profile/4288413/cameron-phillips
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:14 am

I know we are still months away from national signing day but just curious on people's take with the recruiting numbers. I know some are apples to oranges as some recruits could receive a lot of offers as the day nears but still doesn't look amazing:

Looking at this by Avg rank rather than overall points:

2018 - Ovr Rank: 70 Conf Rank: 5 - Avg. Points 269.99 (Player with largest points: Michael Woods WR 724.23)
2017 - Ovr Rank: 71 Conf Rank: 6 - Avg. Points 278.78 (Player with largest points: Matthew Huhn OL 1,004.63) Also worth mentioning Hayden Howerton OL (1,001.15)
2016 - Ovr Rank: 56 Conf Rank: 4 - Avg. Points 347.33 (Player with largest points: Jordan Carmouche LB 1,403.51)

So it feels a bit degradation but I'm just looking at the numbers and I bet someone can spell out a flaw in all of this.

FWIW, Conference speaking the last 3 years we have had 4 teams at the top of the G5 in recruiting

2018 - (1) Cincy (2) USF (3) Coogs (4) UCF
2017 - (1) UCF (2) USF (3) Coogs (4) ECU
2016 - (1) USF (2) Coogs (3) UCF (4) SMU!
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby flockofseagulls » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:42 am

SMU_Alum11 wrote:I know we are still months away from national signing day but just curious on people's take with the recruiting numbers. I know some are apples to oranges as some recruits could receive a lot of offers as the day nears but still doesn't look amazing:

Looking at this by Avg rank rather than overall points:

2018 - Ovr Rank: 70 Conf Rank: 5 - Avg. Points 269.99 (Player with largest points: Michael Woods WR 724.23)
2017 - Ovr Rank: 71 Conf Rank: 6 - Avg. Points 278.78 (Player with largest points: Matthew Huhn OL 1,004.63) Also worth mentioning Hayden Howerton OL (1,001.15)
2016 - Ovr Rank: 56 Conf Rank: 4 - Avg. Points 347.33 (Player with largest points: Jordan Carmouche LB 1,403.51)

So it feels a bit degradation but I'm just looking at the numbers and I bet someone can spell out a flaw in all of this.

FWIW, Conference speaking the last 3 years we have had 4 teams at the top of the G5 in recruiting

2018 - (1) Cincy (2) USF (3) Coogs (4) UCF
2017 - (1) UCF (2) USF (3) Coogs (4) ECU
2016 - (1) USF (2) Coogs (3) UCF (4) SMU!

you already stated the flaw - the 2018 recruits still have months to aggregate more offers and points. the apples-to-apples comparison would be to try and figure out what Huhn and Howerton's point totals were this time last year. at this point last year, howerton didnt even have his offer from us yet, and he got a baylor offer shortly thereafter too. so that's a big spike in his points.

id be willing to bet that Michael Woods and at least another couple guys receive 1 or 2 more offers as P5 schools look to vulture. its all about holding serve once that happens.

and hopefully another howerton-caliber guy falls out of the sky in november of this year as well.
@seagulls00
flockofseagulls
Junior Varsity

Postby Stallion » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:30 pm

usually 3-4 sometimes more recruits get upgraded after the season_ I think Mike Woods is still a 2 star from the Scout vote on 247 composite (1 out of 4 votes) for example. Gabe Brooks indicated he would get upgraded but they were having transition issues. Its going to be interesting to see how the new early December signing date affects how the services do their Job. We are higher on Rivals I think-almost all our recruits are 3 stars. We were about 50th last time I looked-actually 49th which is 4th among G5. I'm pretty sure that would be the highest finish since DP. I think that June Jones 2011 Class with about 8-9 recruits who were non-qualifiers or never enrolled may have finished about 52nd (from memory). Chad Morris has few if any nonqualifiers
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

Stallion

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:17 pm

Agree that this perspective for the year is like comparing YTD to annualized period which are apples to oranges. There's even weakness in the point system that they assume that BYU offer holds more weight (62.26pts) than a SMU offer (51.41). Heck even Baylor hold heck of a lot of weight (84.15). Nevertheless it's a good metric to see # of offers as it should signal value with a player rather than arbitrarily picking value via star system.

I think the important part is that we are recruiting above average in our conference (which is obviously much harder than b4 CM). We are getting top guys in the top 500 (arguably better if the point system didn't discount G5 teams). It's also extremely difficult to recruit with our attendance problems, but hopefully if/when Chad changes the culture to a 8-4 and 9-3 team that we will hopefully see an improvement in attendance which hopefully continues driving better recruiting classes.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Stallion » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:28 pm

oh you are looking at RankbyOffers.com-I thought it was 247.com. Honestly, I don't know what's going to happen with this early signing date-I hope it gives less time for P5s (some from out of state) to snoop around our recruits. Last year really screwed us too because UT and Baylor had so many late offers late due to Coaching changes. That left about 40 spaces to fill so that SMU and UH classes became late targets. Pretty unusual situation. Of course this year we will likely have to deal with coaching rumors too

Stallion

Postby Stallion » Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:56 pm

SMU commit TaMerik Williams ran for 152 yards on 17 carries. He now has 300+ yards rushing more than big time UT 4 star teammate B.J. Foster

Stallion

Postby Stallion » Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:35 pm

SMU commit Keitha Jones had a breakout game for Port Arthur Memorial accounting for 426 yards Total Offense including 12 carries for 230 yards rushing and 9-12 passing for 196 yards. Accounted for 5 TDs. Keitha is an athlete that probably projects to receiver at SMU but moved to QB as a Senior for the good of the team. He's been pretty consistently good all season but since he's playing out of position I really haven't noted it here.

http://www.panews.com/2017/10/28/field- ... f-ganders/

Stallion

Postby Stallion » Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:43 pm

SMU commit DT Kemon Smith had I believe his 2nd turnover of the season resulting in a defensive TD in a 44-15 victory. West Jeff threatened to score from 3 yards out on fourth down late in the third quarter. But Kemon Smith intercepted a pass and raced up the left sideline before lateralling to the ball to a teammate to complete a 97-yard touchdown return

Stallion

Postby Stallion » Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:52 pm

SMU LB commit Tre Allison has 3 TDs rushing in last 2 weeks. Coming into this weeks game, Allison had 67 tackles an INT and Fumble recovered

Stallion

Postby Stallion » Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:56 pm

Looks like SMU WR recruit Mike Woods is being used in running game too, He had 6 carries for 63 yards rushing with a long of 45 yards and a TD and added 5 receptions for 53 yards recieving

Stallion

Postby Stallion » Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:05 pm

SMU NT commit Terrance Newman is having a great year spotlighted just about every week as a star.. This week in the big matchup with Desoto Newman and Duncanville Defense shut down the Eagles for a 24-15 victory after destroying Cedar Hill a few weeks ago. Duncanville is back as king of South Dallas County area. Its been awhile. Newman is about 5-11, 285 but can really run for a Defensive Lineman

Stallion

Postby Stallion » Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:13 pm

SMU LB/Safety commit Jimmy Phillips had a monster game against Highland Park in the week prior to this weekend. Jimmy Phillips had 14 tackles, one sack and recovered a pair of fumbles.

Stallion

Postby Stallion » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:10 pm

Giving some more love to some more lineman who rarely get the high school pub

OLM Jake Syptak at The Woodlands is 8-0
OLM Jaylon Thomas at Lubbock Coronado is 8-0
TE David Priebe at Waco Midway is 8-0

Other undefeated teams with SMU recruits include Angleton (Tamerik Williams) and FW All Saints(J.C Rispress)

Stallion

Postby indianmustang » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:12 am

so we have to deal with lot of poachers at the end of the seaon
Mustang from India
indianmustang

PreviousNext

Return to Recruiting