PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

SMU is currently #44 on rivals 2016 recruiting ranks

Discuss SMU recruiting in this forum.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: SMU is currently #44 on rivals 2016 recruiting ranks

Postby ericdickerson4life » Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:46 am

SoCal_Pony wrote:Well I've been following SMU fb for some 45 years and the only coaching staff I remember being as excited about was Ron Meyer.

But there's also nothing wrong with putting some perspective on all this.

USF has not had a winning season since 2010 and no real fb tradition, so the argument that 'we stink, therefore it hinders our recruiting' certainly doesn't apply to USF. They are currently ranked #60 on Rivals while SMU is ranked #39.

SMU has 18 commits, USF has 9.

On average, each USF commit has 8 other offers besides their USF offer.

In total, USF commits have 21 P5 offers. This includes offers from Miami FL (2 players), Nebraska (their QB), Wisconsin, Florida, Missouri and LSU. Remember, we have twice as many commits so for SMU to be on par with P5 offers, our commits would need to currently have 42 P5 offers in total.

And one of their 5.4 ranked players has offers from Miami FL and Pitt.

Again, this is no criticism of CM, I think he's going to be great. Just comparing us to our real competition, those schools like us who are G5 teams serious about moving up to P5.

Just to add some complexity to this discussion. I suspect regions mean a lot. I'm not an expert recruiter, not on any other boards or know much about stars or points (that's my disclosure), but I would think some northern schools focus more on specific regions (Florida/SE, Texas/SW, Cali/W). So a school like Pitt may not really do major recruiting in Texas and spend most of their time in Florida. It just adds a wrinkle into the mix when even comparing offers. I know this, I'd take the HS kids in Texas over any other state. HCCM locking down commits from top notch DFW schools speaks volumes. If they are ranked 0.2 points lower, I don't care. I think you'd have to be blind to not see this is a great class for us at this time in our program's history.
ericdickerson4life
Heisman

Postby Lebanese4Life » Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:46 am

Pony Boss wrote: In Quarterbacks alone, SMU's commit is better than any other in the AAC, by number and quality of offers.

Please verify your info before you pull stuff from your [deleted]. Check out Houston's QB: http://sports.yahoo.com/houston/footbal ... lls-148511
Lebanese4Life
Hall of Famer

Postby Stallion » Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:49 am

Last time I looked Scout had ranked David Moore over Bowman Sells and Moore definitely has more than 3 times as many offers-most of Sells offers weren't committable. Ohio St. for example-not since Tristan Wallace committed etc. I don't think Sells could have committed to a F5 schools if he wanted to but he might have got a committable offer sooner or later. He fell to UH because those other schools were slow playing him for insurance. Rivals has Sells with 6 offers. Moore has at least 21 offers. QB recruiting is best thought of as a game of musical chairs. Most teams only sign 1 QB and QBs are the first to commit. The decision of the top QBs reduces the chairs available for the others and it quickly cascades down. QB recruiting is for the most part over unless somebody decommits. The Top 13 and 27 of the Top 30 QBs have already committed 7 months before signing date

yep Moore ranked No. 42 QB and Sells No. 45
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby gostangs » Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:15 am

Lebanese I can speed this up for you and save you some embarrassment. Based on years of watching the show, If you are on the other side of a recruiting argument from Stallion (in football) you will lose. Just stop now and minimize the damage.

And by the way - he was the first to complain when it we were doing nothing - so he is not one to pump sunshine. He just knows more than you or anyone else on this site about football recruiting. If stallion is happy with our recruiting (which I have never seen until now) than I am happy.
gostangs

Postby East Coast Mustang » Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:53 pm

Sells' SMU offer wasn't even committable. He wanted to commit to us 2 days before Moore did and we slow played him
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby Pony Boss » Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:11 pm

Lebanese4Life wrote:
Pony Boss wrote: In Quarterbacks alone, SMU's commit is better than any other in the AAC, by number and quality of offers.

Please verify your info before you pull stuff from your [deleted]. Check out Houston's QB: http://sports.yahoo.com/houston/footbal ... lls-148511

What a jokester...if you knew anything about what has been going on in SMU recruiting, you would know that SMU chose Moore over Sells, and as others have said in this topic before, his "great" offers were not committable. So no, I am not pulling stuff out of my [deleted], and I know what I am talking about.
Pony Boss
Hall of Famer

Postby smusic 00 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:03 pm

Popcorn!
smusic 00

Postby Lebanese4Life » Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:39 pm

i know that stallion knows his stuff but u can't look at the recruiting site that favors your argument.

Cool, Sells is ranked 3 spots lower than Moore on Scout. On Rivals, Sells is the 12th ranked QB on Rivals while Moore is NR.

Yeah, Moore has a buttload of offers - 20 of them. Majority of them are from weak programs like Charlotte, East Michigan, Georgia St., South Alabama, Southern Illinois, etc. They mean squat.

Moore's P5 offers are Utah, Wake, Syracuse, Oregon St., Illinois, Colorado St. Compare that to Sells P5 offers: Iowa, Ohio St., Texas, Clemson. Sells wins the battle of 'quality offers.' Screw uncommitable/commitable. Fact is, those schools were interested and extended an offer. Pick a metric and stick to it. There needs to be consistency when comparing two players.

It's all subjective - Since SMU was looking for a dual-threat QB they took Moore over Sells. Sells is the better pro-style QB.

My point is you can't just say Moore is the best QB recruit in the AAC - you just sound biased.
Lebanese4Life
Hall of Famer

Postby CoxMustangFan » Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:52 pm

Pony up!
CoxMustangFan
Hall of Famer

Postby gostangs » Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:59 pm

you can't just say "screw committable non-committable. For a QB - that is everything. Bottom line - our staff had their choice and they chose Moore. That means he is better.

UH got our left over. He dropped from having interest from UT and Ohio state to have to grab UH on the way down. Must have been a rough month.
gostangs

Postby East Coast Mustang » Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:12 am

Lebanese4Life wrote:Screw uncommitable/commitable.

Actually in the grand scheme of things I'd say it's pretty important. Schools will "offer" and try and get you to visit while they do their due diligence and wait to see if better options emerge. You'll see coaches slow play guys all the time and tell them to wait and visit with their parents and talk it over before "committing" if it's someone they're not sure they want. I can think of several uncommitted 2016 guys with SMU "offers" right now that aren't committable- it's all a numbers/waiting game.

Lebanese4Life wrote:Pick a metric and stick to it. There needs to be consistency when comparing two players.

Ok, one player had a committable offer from SMU and the other one didn't. Hey, that was pretty easy!
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby smusic 00 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:28 am

Haha, love you guys! We got the one we wanted, bottom line. Houston got sloppy seconds.
smusic 00

Postby Lebanese4Life » Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:03 am

an uncommitable offer shouldnt be listed as an offer in the first place. if a uni is slowplaying a recruit and just keeping him on the reel, that shouldnt be considered an offer. not sure how the recruiting sites see it
Lebanese4Life
Hall of Famer

Postby ponyboy » Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:25 am

I like the critical stance, but did we or didn't we get the better quarterback, L4L?
ponyboy

Postby Lebanese4Life » Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:33 am

depends on if u want a dual-threat or a pro-style QB
Lebanese4Life
Hall of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Recruiting