PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

SMU is currently #44 on rivals 2016 recruiting ranks

Discuss SMU recruiting in this forum.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: SMU is currently #44 on rivals 2016 recruiting ranks

Postby Stallion » Sat Jul 25, 2015 2:13 pm

I'd be love to have classes that compare to Boise, UH, UCF, Cincy, BYU etc. How many wins did they have last year? This is a steppin' stone class to get us out of the 1-11 ditch and get us headed in the right direction. Even if they have better classes on paper, here's the little secret. You see it all the time with a program raising its talent base. SMU will get these last 2 classes on the field earlier in their freshman and sophomore years and in 4-5 years SMU will have the more experienced team which will make up for the difference. Our Class will play-their classes will sit. Our guys in the last 2 classes have a great chance to be 3-4 year starters
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby gostangs » Sat Jul 25, 2015 3:12 pm

It would be interesting to know how many 3 stars are left in this region. Football dad is assuming there is an endless supply. My point is those other ACC schools will be fighting over a dwindling supply as each week passes, so they will have to dip into 2 stars to fill the class. We will end up in the top Two or three. That is fantastic coming off one win.
gostangs

Postby Stallion » Sat Jul 25, 2015 3:31 pm

82 out of 147 Texas 3+ stars on Rivals very restrictive list have committed 6 months prior to signing date although I think Texas is kind of unusual in that recruiting is accelerated here. So 42% of them are uncommitted. Some of these guys likely have qualification issues and a bunch of crème of the crop is waiting for All-Star games and not likely to sign with an G5 school. Also look at what small classes UT, OU, OSU and even A&M still have-they are likely to take most of them
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

Stallion

Postby Lebanese4Life » Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:28 am

Yup, we will probably end up middle of the pack in AAC when it's all said and done. But yeah, I guess that's an improvement and pretty good considering our record last year.
Lebanese4Life
Hall of Famer

Postby Stallion » Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:10 pm

another 300 kids at SMU camp today-500 yesterday-more at the Cookout Friday

homework, roadwork, canvassing and follow through with coaches and recruits pays off

Stallion

Postby gostangs » Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:13 pm

Our staff is Absolutely working their tails off. Now we see how this is a young mans game. Nobody over 55 would put up with this.

Hope we can do something to show them we appreciate their commitment and work ethic (more than just attend).
gostangs

Postby fifty » Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:33 pm

A for effort. Impressed all around so far.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
fifty
Heisman

Postby Chnash318 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:46 am

gostangs wrote:Yes, except you are assuming that Cinn, UCF, Houston can finish out with three stars, which is probably mathematically impossible. We'll finish in the top two or three in our conference,, which should be near 50 June was well below that typically. Plus there is the whole p5 offer thing which is a big improvement

I'd expect us to end up closer to 70 than 50. I'm expecting ~72ish.
Chnash318
Junior Varsity

Postby Stallion » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:53 am

I think we'll end up higher on Scout where we have 9 3 stars and Rau hasn't even been rated for some reason-he should be another. Again, Rivals may depend on whether they upgrade the 3+ stars. We still have plenty of ammunition in the gun to close out the class with highly ranked recruits.

Stallion

Postby Puckhead48E » Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:15 am

Going out on a limb here...precarious as that may be...but, I believe we will have the highest ranked recruiting class for a 1 win team ever.

Phew....feels good to get that off my chest. And to think, I didn't even need to spend $10 to get that info!
Puckhead48E
Heisman

Postby JasonB » Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:31 pm

I've always said I trust coach evaluation more than the recruiting services.

But it is astonishing how undervalued this class is given the quality of player and the number of schools looking at them.
JasonB

Postby Rebel10 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:58 pm

JasonB wrote:I've always said I trust coach evaluation more than the recruiting services.

That is what everybody says, coaches and fans alike. Even the teams that recruit poorly say that, so that statement really means nothing. You said that same thing about JJ and his staff and they recruited so badly that we are now in a mess. At signing day every class in the country is good according to the coach and fans that blindly support the coach, even if they are from schools that do not win.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby ReedFrawg » Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:40 pm

JasonB wrote:I've always said I trust coach evaluation more than the recruiting services.

But it is astonishing how undervalued this class is given the quality of player and the number of schools looking at them.

Yep - just depends on whether or not you can trust your coaches or not...
ReedFrawg
Heisman

Postby ponyinNC » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:12 am

My prediction? PAIN!
ponyinNC
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SMU 86 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:38 am

This class and the last class are all about building relationships. We are getting good AAC level athletes but next year I think we will get upper level AAC athletes. Especially if we have a decent season.
"We will play man to man and we will pick you up at the airport." - Larry Brown

________________________Champion________________________
SMU 86

PreviousNext

Return to Recruiting