PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

SMU is currently #44 on rivals 2016 recruiting ranks

Discuss SMU recruiting in this forum.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: SMU is currently #44 on rivals 2016 recruiting ranks

Postby mavsrage311 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:06 pm

CoxMustangFan wrote:Just love the enthusiasm! Based on some of the comments it looks like several of the guys will be upgraded. I do wonder though, if half of these guys would have been pulled by June, would everyone still be dishing high praise?

I thought the same thing. My answer - I trust these coaches and their evaluations more. They don't just offer low hanging fruit. If they offered, they really like the kid.
Dallas Mavericks - 2011 NBA CHAMPIONS!

Long live the Circle of Champions!
mavsrage311
Heisman

Postby LA_Mustang » Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:49 pm

CoxMustangFan wrote:Just love the enthusiasm! Based on some of the comments it looks like several of the guys will be upgraded. I do wonder though, if half of these guys would have been pulled by June, would everyone still be dishing high praise?

I honestly don't know how good these recruits are but there's no doubt based on some of their star ratings and offers they would've been panned if JJ landed them. I have a lot of faith in Morris and I think he realizes it is going to take a little time. If we can have a .500 season I expect the quality of recruits to go up. BTW, I think David Moore could end up being one of the best recruits in a LONG time.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Digetydog » Wed Jun 10, 2015 5:30 pm

Grant Carter wrote:

Do you really wonder?

The difference is that we know Team Morris is out there doing the hard work and due diligence. Regardless of who we sign, I know that we got the best recruits possible.

With Team Lazy, I knew that results positive/negative were pure dumb luck.
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby East Coast Mustang » Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:01 pm

Our ranking is somewhat inflated by the high number of commits we currently have, but make no mistake, this is a much better effort than we saw under June. Lots of guys with other good options (including several with P5 offers) who are committing to SMU.

Our goal should be to have a top 5 G5 class this year in the top 70 on NSD, in my opinion
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby East Coast Mustang » Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:05 pm

Current recruits with P5 offers (5 of our 10 commits):

QB David Moore (Illinois, Oregon State, Syracuse, Utah, Wake Forest)
DB Christian Davis (Illinois, Northwestern)
OL Braxton Webb (Syracuse)
OL Jacob Todora (Illinois, Kansas)
DL Demerick Gary (Virginia)
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby Pony Boss » Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:17 pm

Dont discount the fact that some of the better kids wait til closer to season so we may get really good recruits. Remember last year we got Castille, Thomas and a few others with 3 stars..
Pony Boss
Hall of Famer

Postby Pony147 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:48 pm

East Coast Mustang wrote:Current recruits with P5 offers (5 of our 10 commits):

QB David Moore (Illinois, Oregon State, Syracuse, Utah, Wake Forest)
DB Christian Davis (Illinois, Northwestern)
OL Braxton Webb (Syracuse)
OL Jacob Todora (Illinois, Kansas)
DL Demerick Gary (Virginia)

Don't forget Joshua Shelmire with Northwestern.

On top of that, all 10 of our commits have multiple FBS offers. At least that is a step in the right direction
"[College] referees couldn't manage a White Castle." -Mark Cuban
Pony147
Heisman

Postby StallionsModelT » Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:39 pm

Almost all of our commitments have 5 to 10 other offers with usually a P5 offer or two mixed in. That is LIGHT YEARS ahead of where we were in the last few years under June where the average recruit had zero other offers or he did they were D1AA or barely D1A like New Mexico.
Back off Warchild seriously.
StallionsModelT

Postby footballdad » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:34 am

Pony Boss wrote:Dont discount the fact that some of the better kids wait til closer to season so we may get really good recruits. Remember last year we got Castille, Thomas and a few others with 3 stars..

Need half of this class to be Castille/Thomas caliber. Unfortunately (at this point) only Moore at that level.
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby StallionsModelT » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:39 am

Its only June. The reason we wre able to land Xavier Castille, Jordan Williams, Ben Hicks, and Kevin Thomas is that the later in the game it gets for these kids the fewer P5 options they really have. We will still be in position to poach some kids that are being slow played by the P5 schools.

BTW, several of those P5 offers for Castille didn't come until halfway through his senior year. I fully expect guys like Shelmire, Webb, and Todora to get more offers as they have more film out there as a senior.
StallionsModelT

Postby StallionsModelT » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:42 am

Also, if you look at the list of kids who are giving us serious interest they almost all have 5-10 offers with at least 2 P5 offers before they've played a down of their senior season. This will end up being one of the two or three best G5 classes in the country. The team was 1-11 last year. How anyone can nitpick what is happening in recruiting given the circumstances Morris walked into is beyond stupid. If we can manage to win 4 or 5 games this year and sign a class that is right around 50th (which is very, very possible) then we will be in great shape moving forward for 2016 and beyond.
StallionsModelT

Postby footballdad » Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:01 am

The class is what it is........(at this point)

Could finish strong again, get upgrades, etc, etc......might not. Way too early to tell, and as many have said, the current 'ranking' of this class is based more on quantity than quality.

The effort and enthusiasm of the staff is definitely there and the camp reviews have been great. Moving in the right direction.
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby StallionsModelT » Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:14 am

Over half of our commitments have P5 offers and the vast majority have a minimum of 5 D1A offers. If you don't see that as a MASSIVE upgrade over the last few years of June Jones then I honestly don't know what to tell you.
StallionsModelT

Postby footballdad » Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:52 am

StallionsModelT wrote:Over half of our commitments have P5 offers and the vast majority have a minimum of 5 D1A offers. If you don't see that as a MASSIVE upgrade over the last few years of June Jones then I honestly don't know what to tell you.

Don't know what you're trying to tell anybody. Everyone universally agrees that Morris & Co are much better at everything than the June regime. Unfortunately, June set the bar extremely LOW.

Love to kick June for eternity, but best to start comparing the new program and recruiting to our peers at UCF, Houston, USF.....

Hopefully the class maintains a Top 50 ranking thru signing day, and grade out among the Top 4 in our own conference. Best to start there.
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby StallionsModelT » Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:26 pm

By whatever metric you choose we are recruiting above grade right now. We signed the third best class in the conference in 2015 and are well on our way to either the best or, at worst, third or fourth best recruiting class in the conference this year.
StallionsModelT

PreviousNext

Return to Recruiting