PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

SMU is currently #44 on rivals 2016 recruiting ranks

Discuss SMU recruiting in this forum.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: SMU is currently #44 on rivals 2016 recruiting ranks

Postby footballdad » Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:19 pm

uh huh
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby StallionsModelT » Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:35 pm

Quality response. Any evidence to suggest we won't sign one of the two or three best classes in the AAC based on what we did in 2015 and so far towards the 2016 class?
Back off Warchild seriously.
StallionsModelT
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby East Coast Mustang » Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:40 pm

footballdad just has a vendetta against SMU since they're giving his son a free college education.
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby footballdad » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:13 pm

StallionsModelT wrote:Quality response. Any evidence to suggest we won't sign one of the two or three best classes in the AAC based on what we did in 2015 and so far towards the 2016 class?

Because you've made the exact same points 15x.

If our next 14 are similar to our first 11, we'll end up about 4th in the AAC. If we pick it up, could end up anywhere between 2nd and 4th.
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby footballdad » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:16 pm

East Coast Mustang wrote:footballdad just has a vendetta against SMU since they're giving his son a free college education.

'free'.......sure :roll:
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby CoxMustangFan » Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:37 pm

footballdad wrote:
East Coast Mustang wrote:footballdad just has a vendetta against SMU since they're giving his son a free college education.

It's stunning how negative you are about a top 60 school providing your son an education. Let's just hope he has less hate for the school.
Pony up!
CoxMustangFan
Hall of Famer

Postby Pony Boss » Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:41 pm

I take his trolling as a compliment.
Pony Boss
Hall of Famer

Postby footballdad » Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:24 pm

CoxMustangFan wrote:
footballdad wrote:

It's stunning how negative you are about a top 60 school providing your son an education. Let's just hope he has less hate for the school.

I'm stunned that you use the words stunning and negative and hate, because I don't consider his education 'free'. What exactly is negative about my position?

Do the football players put in a ridiculous amount of extra time and effort for the sake of said school? Do the football players put themselves at much greater risk of injury, both long & short term, in return for that scholarship?

Every one of these players MORE than EARN their FREE scholarships. Should they play football for your entertainment, and the benefit of the school, and still pay the outrageous tuition out of their own pockets? Would that make you less stunned?

This would be hilarious, except you're serious.
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby CoxMustangFan » Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:45 pm

You and your son had a choice. I agree there's a physical cost to being a player. Great guys like Dubs have intelligently discussed it over the years.

Point is there are hundreds (perhaps thousands) of kids that would kill for your son's spot, and it's not likely one of them would have a dad constantly on message boards talking crap on the school or the handful of die hard fans...the ones paying for said son's college education. You're worse that Bickle.
Pony up!
CoxMustangFan
Hall of Famer

Postby smusic 00 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:41 am

Bickle was funny, dad is just a sad troll. Lots of us had scholly's to SMU and don't [deleted] and whine about the extra hours and work we put in to DESERVE it.
smusic 00

Postby mrydel » Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:14 am

I am very grateful for the free education provided to me. Yes I worked hard and yes I am in pain this very morning from the toll that work put on me. But I am also in a very nice office, preparing for a nice retirement thanks to that education. Almost everyone that gets that free education has to sacrifice in some way. It is kind of like having a job. I would have loved to have slept in and stayed home today but I have to do something to justify the money I am paid. So I look at a athletic scholarship as preparing a young person for the rest of their life both in character and discipline. And again I am very thankful for having the opportunity to get my diploma with no monetary cost.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby StallionsModelT » Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:40 am

The coaches are aware of what is posted here. Also, our coaches, ESPECIALLY OUR HEAD COACH, are very grateful of our generous alumni that give their energy, passion, and money to ensure that SMU has a competitive football program. Take that for what its worth but they definitely are aware of what's posted here.
StallionsModelT

Postby ojaipony » Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:59 am

I, too, am very grateful for the scholarship. For me, SMU was everything and gave me all the opportunities in the world. I came to SMU from a lower middle class family that couldn't afford 10% of the tuition, and I left after interning at The White House and getting a job in DC immediately upon graduation (started 2 days after). I'd say the hard work to get, and keep, the scholly was very very much worth it and I am indebted to SMU for all of it.

So, unless you're Eric Dickerson (ok maybe that's a bad example) :-), you owe more to SMU than it owes to you (which athlete has been so great at SMU that that person brought thousands into the stadium and therefore direct revenue to the school in, say, the last 30 years?). Now, if we suddenly start getting RGIII types in here, then yes, I think one could argue that SMU should be grateful but until then just be very very happy and pinch yourself that SMU is giving you a free ride and work your tail off to earn it/keep it/make us all proud. Enough said. Moving on.
ojaipony

Postby StallionsModelT » Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:07 am

ojaipony wrote:I, too, am very grateful for the scholarship. For me, SMU was everything and gave me all the opportunities in the world. I came to SMU from a lower middle class family that couldn't afford 10% of the tuition, and I left after interning at The White House and getting a job in DC immediately upon graduation (started 2 days after). I'd say the hard work to get, and keep, the scholly was very very much worth it and I am indebted to SMU for all of it.

So, unless you're Eric Dickerson (ok maybe that's a bad example) :-), you owe more to SMU than it owes to you (which athlete has been so great at SMU that that person brought thousands into the stadium and therefore direct revenue to the school in, say, the last 30 years?). Now, if we suddenly start getting RGIII types in here, then yes, I think one could argue that SMU should be grateful but until then just be very very happy and pinch yourself that SMU is giving you a free ride and work your tail off to earn it/keep it/make us all proud. Enough said. Moving on.

I have a similar story. I came from a lower middle class family in East Texas. Both parents were teachers so attending SMU was a pipe dream without scholarships and a very generous financial aid package. After my four years at SMU I walked into a career that has blessed me with the opportunity to travel the world and make a very nice living for a guy in his early 30's. I feel eternally indebted to SMU for the opportunities it provided me. While I'm certainly no Circle of Champions level guy, I have donated at least $1K to the Mustang Club every year since graduation except last year. I cancelled my yearly donation until we got rid of June Jones. The day after we hired Chad Morris I called the athletic department and doubled my previous MC donation.

When I shared that I gave $$$ to the MC, footballdad replied with "that's all? Give more. The kids need bigger stipends. We need better mannequins."
StallionsModelT

Postby friarwolf » Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:17 am

Thanks to Mrydel, Ojai, and SMT for sharing. You guys make me proud.........
friarwolf
Heisman

PreviousNext

Return to Recruiting