PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

New Commit? (Blake Muir)

Discuss SMU recruiting in this forum.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

New Commit? (Blake Muir)

Postby gforce021 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:34 am

(Please do not copy premium information — i.e. information outside of a player's name, position, school, height, weight, stats, etc. — from the sites that charge for their information. Thank you.)

Both premium sites have reported that SMU has received a 2011 commitment from Australian Blake Muir, a 6-foot-5, 245-pound defensive lineman. He also had an offer from the University of Hawaii.

Blake Muir
DT/DE/TE #99
Kirrawee H.S. 2010
(Australia) Sutherland Seahawks
Height: 6'5.5", Weight: 246
40 yd: 4.88, 10 yd split: 1.62
Vertical: 34"
Bench: 185 x 21
Max Bench: 290
Hand Span: 9.5
Arm Length: 33"
COMBINE #81

Other offers: Hawaii

Secondary Sport:
Swimming: Freestyle & Breastroke Champion
Pan-Pacific Rep & National Title Medalist
-------------------------------

2009 Team and Defensive MVP

Camps & Clinics:
PIAA Combine 2009

Holds team records for season tackles and tackles for loss
gforce021
Scout Team

Re: New Commit? (Blake Muir)

Postby couch 'em » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:01 am

Not too surprising, see the other thread. I'm curious what the coaches see in the guy though.
"I think Couchem is right."
-EVERYONE
couch 'em
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PK » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:04 am

couch 'em wrote:Not too surprising, see the other thread. I'm curious what the coaches see in the guy though.

Perhaps...
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK

Postby PK » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:05 am

Wouldn't he be commit #18?
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK

Postby ponyboy » Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:48 pm

PK wrote:[Perhaps...

Not to bag on the guy -- I'm sure he's good -- but how hard can that be on an Australian team?
ponyboy

Postby Garret » Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:22 pm

Here is a *lot* of information from someone who knows Blake well. It looks like if Blake goes to SMU he'll be starting in January instead of August so he'll go through Spring Practice.

In order to provide some clarity to all this, here is the situation as it stands.

* SMU offered Blake back in April and they were interested in bringing him in on a recruiting trip in.

* UH does not have a scholarship available until next August but starting school in January is too good of an opportunity to miss out on.

* Going to UH for the Spring semester will cost around $18,000 for Blake and he has been madly saving money so that it can happen.

* SMU can place him on scholarship in January as they have some available then.

* SMU has more than 15 commits for next year, our advice was that there may not be a scholarship still when he takes an official visit in Sept.

* The verbal commitment is non-binding, it does however allow him to go on the trip, find out more about SMU in person and then make a definite decision on what he wants to do. Both schools are aware of the situation.

* If Blake decides to go to UH, I can say fairly confidently that it will be because of Coach Shaw, his professionalism and candor and that there is some things that you can't put a dollar value on.

* So, as always in the world of recruiting, the story isn't complete until a player is signed and in school. You'll know more in a few weeks.

http://www.sportshawaii.com/sh/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=34963&p=434160#p434160
Garret
All-American

Postby cutter » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:06 pm

ponyboy wrote:
PK wrote:[Perhaps...

Not to bag on the guy -- I'm sure he's good -- but how hard can that be on an Australian team?

I thought the same thing. the parts of his highlight clip that I saw didn't seem as though the competition was that stellar, to my untrained eye. but, as always, I defer to the coaching staff's evaluation skills, which I think is stellar.
cutter
Hall of Famer

Postby SoCal_Pony » Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:30 pm

cutter wrote:the parts of his highlight clip that I saw didn't seem as though the competition was that stellar, to my untrained eye.

at least there were occasional bleachers in E.J Drewery's highlights :lol: :lol: :lol:
SoCal_Pony

Postby cutter » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:45 pm

SoCal_Pony wrote:
cutter wrote:the parts of his highlight clip that I saw didn't seem as though the competition was that stellar, to my untrained eye.

at least there were occasional bleachers in E.J Drewery's highlights :lol: :lol: :lol:

you are correct.
yikes.......
cutter
Hall of Famer

Postby that's great raplh » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:51 pm

and a shotputter blocked 9 fgs?

muffie benson perella

169 black horseshoes - Green Party Activist - I am the Greetest!

Now selling Hope at a price slightly higher than free...
that's great raplh

Postby ozfan » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:27 pm

Guys I have lived in Australia for a long time now and am up on the sports in this country. The guys that make it in american style football come from the state of Victoria where aussie rules is the game and they make it as punters ( three in the NFL now) most go and try out after they have retired from AFL in Australia. Only one came from a high school to the UH and played for JJ that is the Dallas punter and he learned to kick playing asussie rule in HS. The gridiron leagues here are very weak. So do not get your hopes up.
Sent from my KOREAN knockoff using Tapdance 5
ozfan
All-American

Postby cutter » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:49 pm

ozfan wrote:Guys I have lived in Australia for a long time now and am up on the sports in this country. The guys that make it in american style football come from the state of Victoria where aussie rules is the game and they make it as punters ( three in the NFL now) most go and try out after they have retired from AFL in Australia. Only one came from a high school to the UH and played for JJ that is the Dallas punter and he learned to kick playing asussie rule in HS. The gridiron leagues here are very weak. So do not get your hopes up.

the released info says that he is from NSW (Sutherland area, I believe) not Victoria. any chance that might give slightly better hope that he will be a capable enough athlete for us?
cutter
Hall of Famer

Postby ozfan » Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:15 pm

cutter wrote:
ozfan wrote:Guys I have lived in Australia for a long time now and am up on the sports in this country. The guys that make it in american style football come from the state of Victoria where aussie rules is the game and they make it as punters ( three in the NFL now) most go and try out after they have retired from AFL in Australia. Only one came from a high school to the UH and played for JJ that is the Dallas punter and he learned to kick playing asussie rule in HS. The gridiron leagues here are very weak. So do not get your hopes up.

the released info says that he is from NSW (Sutherland area, I believe) not Victoria. any chance that might give slightly better hope that he will be a capable enough athlete for us?

New South Wales is a rugby state, they have two pro AFl teams but the players on then or mostly from other aussie rules states. Hope the kid can cut it but do believe he is a work in progress.
Sent from my KOREAN knockoff using Tapdance 5
ozfan
All-American

Postby cutter » Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:36 pm

ozfan wrote:
New South Wales is a rugby state, they have two pro AFl teams but the players on then or mostly from other aussie rules states. Hope the kid can cut it but do believe he is a work in progress.

thanks.
I guess I'll rely on the coaching staff's outstanding ability to identify excellent players/potential and then to develop them. With only a few 'misses' thus far, I'm not worried.
I'm gonna guess that anyone coming from Australia is already realizing that they have some catching-up to do, so they'll arrive with a very good mindset open to excellent coaching. Besides, rugby is pretty brutal -- some/a few of those brutes should be able to translate well to football, I'm thinking. Maybe, the hope is also to open up a potential 'pipeline' from Down Under?
cutter
Hall of Famer

Postby cutter » Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:29 pm

that's great raplh wrote:and a shotputter blocked 9 fgs?

that's true, but you're talking about an elite athlete that regularly faces international competition, in a sport that requires some degree of strength and agility.
I think, there's a bit of concern when you have another kid playing a 'foreign' game without consistent and challenging competition, and probably less-than-ideal coaching.
just relying on our coaches' eyes in seeing the 'diamond in the rough'.
hope and trust.
Last edited by cutter on Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cutter
Hall of Famer

Next

Return to Recruiting