PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

VERY IMPORTANT — PLEASE READ

Discuss SMU recruiting in this forum.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Postby PonyPride » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:39 am

As a reminder, Mustang fans are NOT permitted to communicate with prospective student-athletes. This includes any contact via Facebook, Twitter, e-mail or any similar site or method. NCAA bylaws state that all in-person, on- and off-campus recruiting contacts, as well as correspondence and telephone calls, with a prospective student-athlete shall be made only by authorized institutional staff members. SMU is alerting you to the applicable NCAA legislation. Any current or future recruiting contact, as well as correspondence and/or telephone calls must cease immediately.
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: VERY IMPORTANT — PLEASE READ

Postby Billy Joe » Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:10 pm

Just to be clear - I should not take a bunch of prospective football recruits to the Men's Club tonight and pay for drinks and dances? I want to be sure and follow the rules. Thanks in advance.
Billy Joe
All-American

Postby No Quarter » Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:49 am

I have never done anything like the NCAA rules violations mentioned and ten times over am not one of those fans with deep pockets who got SMU in trouble in the eightys. More than that I live eight hundred miles away, well outside the area most SMU recruiting targets reside. But I have to say that at some point this seems very close to a free speech issue.
No Quarter
Heisman

Postby mustangxc » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:55 pm

It's pretty simple, don't contact recruits in person or by any other means including facebook, email, fax, snail mail, etc!!!
mustangxc

Postby BUS » Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:00 pm

A-men
When they become Mustangs you can talk all the football you want but for now... Do not even text Hello.
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS

Postby Dutch » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:18 pm

BUS wrote:A-men
When they become Mustangs you can talk all the football you want but for now... Do not even text Hello.

even when they're on the team, it's a pretty gray area regarding alumni contact with student athletes. best to stay out of contact. nothing to gain from it.
Ok this is getting ridiculous...I agree with Dutch on THIS ONE POST by him totally
Dutch
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby 2ndandlong » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:43 pm

as a matter of fact, the grey area can actually extend beyond their active days as a student. even if they are an alumnus, if they are still within their eligibility period, check with your contact in the athletic department to make sure what you are doing is on the level.
"This is . . . dedication to distraction by fans. Is that what I'm going to go with Jay?"
"That poor kid has to be wondering what is dad doing."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XknLDwj0dSo
2ndandlong
Hall of Famer

Postby papawppc1 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:37 pm

So one of my hunting buddy's grandson can't talk to another buddy that is a SMU alumni when we go hunting or have a get together?
papawppc1
Recruit

Postby 2ndandlong » Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:58 pm

don't think we should play through every one-off scenario on here, but if you're alumni friend donates a lot of money to the program, and the kid is a senior in high school, star quarterback, you should probably talk to the school before you take the kid on a vacation where the alumnus pays for all his food, buys his shotgun shells, etc. regardless of the other circumstances.

if you're not sure, ask or don't do it.
"This is . . . dedication to distraction by fans. Is that what I'm going to go with Jay?"
"That poor kid has to be wondering what is dad doing."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XknLDwj0dSo
2ndandlong
Hall of Famer

Postby papawppc1 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:19 pm

We've been together as a group for at least 20yrs. The alumni did not pick us out 20yrs ago knowing we would have a football playing Grandson. Everybody pays their own part. The young man's Grandpaw has plenty of funds to take care of his Grandson. The kid will play college football somewhere and I have not a clue where.
papawppc1
Recruit

Postby ojaipony » Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:59 pm

Interesting, as I see this being violated daily on Twitter ("come here!" etc).

I guess, since we're SMU, we have to be HYPER vigilant. I have no problem with that. But once the kid signs and plays, I'm going to congratulate him on a great game (a comment is not a gold TransAm). Is the comment allowed to a kid that signs and plays? We're certainly yelling that from the stands/as they walk out/if we get down onto the field after a huge win ala TCU. Seems like a free speech issue as long as it doesn't happen during recruiting process and no gifts are provided. Just a simple comment?
ojaipony

Postby mrydel » Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:48 pm

Recruits. After that just do not be giving them stuff.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby redpony » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:27 pm

papawppc1 wrote:So one of my hunting buddy's grandson can't talk to another buddy that is a SMU alumni when we go hunting or have a get together?

Interesting that is mentioned. IIRC there were a lot of complaints/stories about whorens alums taking players on hunting/fishing trips with expenses paid. However, the austin branch of the ncaa (aka whorens AD) investigated and said all was within 'their' set of rules.
redpony

Return to Recruiting