PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Dallas Quarterbacks

Discuss SMU recruiting in this forum.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Dallas Quarterbacks

Postby Hoofprint » Tue Jul 25, 2000 10:24 pm

If ever there was a time to go hard after a local kid or two, this is it. We all know Josh McCown is the man at QB for the Mustangs, and that Kelan Luker and David Page are supposed to push him to greater heights. But we also know that top national programs often have four and sometimes five stud QB's on the roster. With that having been said, there are two high school quarterbacks here in Dallas who would look GREAT in the Red and Blue of SMU.

Dallas Roosevelt's Robert Timmons is one of the most impressive QB prospects I've seen in a long time. He's a legit 6-5, 210, VERY fast and has a cannon of an arm -- an arm that's not just strong, it's also very accurate. I saw him play three times last year, and in each game, he threw for more than 200 yards (playing for a team that really doesn't throw that often) and ran for more than 100. As a runner, he's elusive (has a great ability to make people miss), has breakaway speed and is strong enough to run over fairly large defenders. This kid is a blue-chip, can't-miss kind of player.

The other local QB star is Barrick Nealy of Dallas Adamson. He also is in the 6-4 or 6-5 range, and has a strong arm. To my eye, he's maybe a half-step slower than Timmons, and his arm may not be quite as strong ... but it's close. His problem is that he plays on such a ridiculously untalented team, it's hard to tell what he can do with no blocking in front of him and receivers who couldn't catch a cold. He's a fine athlete -- easily the best player on the Leopards' (stop laughing) basketball team -- and will make a nice college player for someone, hopefully for us.

In short, both of these kids will play college football. If they go to a school with too many QB's, there will be another position on the field for them.

Now ... there are two problems:
1. The word is out, especially on Timmons, who already is being recruited by the likes of Texas, Florida State, USC, etc. Nealy's coach says he also is getting national attention from college football's big boys, but he probably will not have quite the collection of choices Timmons will have. But both will have a lot of choices available.
2. I know nothing about either kid's academics, and whether they can qualify (academically) for SMU.

All I know is that we NEED to get one or both of these guys to stay home, and use them as the beginning of a pipeline back into the Dallas schools.
Hoofprint
All-American

Return to Recruiting