PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Midland LEE

Discuss SMU recruiting in this forum.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Midland LEE

Postby DR » Thu Sep 14, 2000 11:16 am

Hey why can't SMU try to recruit players form the best team in Texas? LEE has great players and great coaches
DR

Re: Midland LEE

Postby ALL4SMU » Thu Sep 14, 2000 11:21 am

Good question. I would imagine that the coaches are trying, but just not suceeding that much. If we just started to win some ball games, our recruiting would really open up. That is the key. No one wants to play for a team they don't think are gonna win. We have got to prove that we can win. Plain and simple.
\"Show me a happy and gracious loser, and I'll show you a failure.\"- Knute Rockne
ALL4SMU
Varsity

Postby PonyExpress » Thu Sep 14, 2000 12:06 pm

You also have to factor in whether they can get in to SMU.
PonyExpress
Junior Varsity

Postby DR » Mon Sep 18, 2000 12:48 pm

It is not that hard to get into SMU. PLUS whats wrong with stupid football players. It might help SMU to win if we got some dumb players, whose only goal is to play football none stop and win. Hey all the other good schools do it.
DR

Postby Corso » Mon Sep 18, 2000 4:57 pm

Note to DR -

Not so fast, my friend. There are reasons we are proud to be fans of SMU, and not Texas, Texas A&M, TCU, Houston, Arkansas, etc. Our student-athletes are students who play sports, not athletes who have to suffer through classes. The reason SMU is a great school starts in the classroom. I'd rather have a team full of intelligent young men with bright futures, rather than a bunch of dumb jocks who can bench-press a car but can't spell or hold a job after graduation -- if they graduate at all.

I'm not saying we should abandon the effort to win and become focused exclusively on academics -- this isn't Harvard. But we need both, especially a group of athletes that make us proud on and off the field.
Corso
Hall of Famer

Return to Recruiting