PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Offensive Linemen????

Discuss SMU recruiting in this forum.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Offensive Linemen????

Postby ponytalk » Tue Nov 07, 2000 3:14 pm

Does anyone know anything about Oline recruits. This has got to be #1 on the list.
ponytalk
Varsity

Re: Offensive Linemen????

Postby PonyPower » Wed Nov 08, 2000 12:29 am

Just what Corso posted below about a kid in Mississippi who's 6-10 and 330 or so. That kid would be the first one off the bus on every trip, if it was up to me.
PonyPower
All-American

Postby HorsePower » Wed Nov 08, 2000 12:30 am

What about Brandon Luter? Will he play next year? Do the coaches see a future for this kid, or is he just a big guy with no talent?
HorsePower
Heisman

Postby WildHorse » Mon Nov 13, 2000 1:12 pm

Think about who's gone after this year and who's back.

Gone: Starting tackle Jeff Erxleben, starting center Rich Nichols, backup linemen Aaron Ladd.

Returning: Starting guards James McCarthy and Thornton Chandler, part-time starter Kevin Gober, starting tackle Joey Slaten; reserves Cory Fross (if he ever plays, we're in trouble), Sterling Harris (teetering dangerously on the line of being labeled a huge bust), Steve Reindl (shows nice promise), Brandon Luter (too big and strong to not be at least decent) and freshman Townsend Hargis (three years away).

Out of that group, McCarthy is not the most talented blocker but may be the most valuable because he is a brawler who will stand in against any linemen out there. Chandler, the coaches feel, will be a star, a player with the talent to get drafted by the NFL in a few years. Gober is a valuable player, preferably coming off the bench. Slaten starts. So if those four (Slaten at tackle, McCarthy and Gober at guard, Chandler at center) who's the other starting tackle? Please don't say Harris -- too slow and soft, until he shows us otherwise. Maybe Luter, if he has the footwork. Maybe Reindl starts at center, Chander at guard and McCarthy or or Gober bumps out to tackle.

What's clear in all this is that we need offensive linemen -- and a lot of them. In THIS recruiting class.
Go PONIES!
WildHorse
All-American

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Nov 16, 2000 11:27 pm

You failed to mention Clay Glockzin, who saw some playing time against Tulsa (hopefully not at the expense of his RS). There is no question OL is our single greatest need in this recruiting class. Let's hope we can attract some studs on the promise of playing time as Frosh!
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby SMUPonyFan » Fri Nov 17, 2000 12:17 am

Are you sure Clay played? I don't think he even suits up for games. Isn't he on the D line also? I think you have the wrong guy. I don't think we have one freshman Olineman that even suits up for games, do we?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Charleston Pony:
<B>You failed to mention Clay Glockzin, who saw some playing time against Tulsa (hopefully not at the expense of his RS). There is no question OL is our single greatest need in this recruiting class. Let's hope we can attract some studs on the promise of playing time as Frosh!</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

------------------
Go Red, Go Blue, Go Mustangs, S M U
SMUPonyFan
Varsity

Postby Corso » Fri Nov 17, 2000 12:09 pm

Charleston Pony-
Are you sure about Glockzin? I wonder if maybe you mistook him for Trent Hrncir....
Corso
Hall of Famer

Postby SMUPonyFan » Fri Nov 17, 2000 3:09 pm

Hrncir is a Redshirt Fresh. He is a DE. I don't think he played at the Tulsa game, but he had a good game against Rice, he recorded his first sack against Rice. Trent should has a great future at DE once KA and Pratt leave.

------------------
SMUPonyFan
Varsity

Postby Corso » Fri Nov 17, 2000 5:55 pm

Not so fast my friend!

Trent Hrncir is a good kid, and I'm sure he works hard, etc. But he runs mych too upright, and appears stiff. He also isn't quick enough to beat bigger O-Linemen on quickness, and he sure isn't going to beat anyone on his strength. A valuable backup, but not a starter with a bright future.
Corso
Hall of Famer

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Nov 18, 2000 10:40 am

I wasn't at the game, but was going from the box score provided on the WAC football site that showed Clay Glockzin as having participated in the Tulsa game. It surprised me and I was looking for some confirmation.

I don't know the rules, but have read that a very limited number of plays are allowed in order to retain a RS.
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Return to Recruiting