PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Recruiting

Discuss SMU recruiting in this forum.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Recruiting

Postby ponytalk » Fri Nov 10, 2000 12:49 am

We need to sign 8 Olinemen and 3 good DB's and the rest a general mix. The O line needs to be the stress of this coming class. WE NEED LINEMEN...BAD Image
ponytalk
Varsity

Re: Recruiting

Postby Corso » Fri Nov 10, 2000 12:58 pm

Not so fast, my friend!

Think about the defensive backs coming back next year: Kevin Garrett, Jonas Rutledge, Ruben Moodley, Wesley Medlock, Rico Harris, Leroy Price, Shane O'Neill, Chris Godfrey, Brent Briggs, Tommy Dorsey, James Orr. They're obviously not all stars, but there's some real talent there, and with another year of experience and growth in the weight room, we'll be significantly better next year. That's not to say we haven't gotten beaten by opponents' passing games this year, and that if a stud player like Dallas (Hillcrest) DB Ryan Gilbert falls into our laps that we shouldn't take him -- that kid will be a major stud in college, and would open a nice pipeline from Hillcrest to SMU.

But our priorities have to be the offensive and defensive lines. I like your idea, ponytalk, of signing 8 offensive linemen (look at Tony Andrews, also of Hillcrest. He's 6-5, 340, and can move.) But we also need defensive linemen desperately. Chase Schavrda is gone, and we're thin with the players coming back.

As far as I'm concerned, sign 8 linemen on each side of the ball and go with the best athletes available with the remaining scholarships.

And make sure to include a quarterback in every class.
Corso
Hall of Famer

Return to Recruiting