PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

MUSTANGS RECEIVE VERBAL COMMITMENT from Lufkin WR

Discuss SMU recruiting in this forum.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

MUSTANGS RECEIVE VERBAL COMMITMENT from Lufkin WR

Postby Corso » Sun Nov 26, 2000 8:55 pm

According to the Dallas Morning News:

"Jay Taylor, considered one of the state's top wide receivers, has given a non-bindong oral commitment to SMU. Taylor, 6-4 and 185, is from Lufkin High in East Texas. He chose the Mustangs over Tulsa, he said.

'They have a great facility there,' Taylor said. 'You can get an outstanding education. I also saw a lot of opportunities as far as being able to come there and play soon.'

This year, Taylor has 37 catches for 760 yards through 11 regular season games and one playoff game. He said he took two unofficial visits to SMU before making his decision." — Rana Cash

This is a huge pick-up for the Ponies. He's a big target with really good wheels, and a smart kid. He'll be a nice complement to the Cunningham/Freeman/Ford gang. — Corso
Corso
Hall of Famer

Re: MUSTANGS RECEIVE VERBAL COMMITMENT from Lufkin WR

Postby 91Stang » Mon Nov 27, 2000 1:56 pm

That's great news.

Any word on how fast he is?
HOCKEY'S BACK!
91Stang
Varsity

Postby Corso » Mon Nov 27, 2000 4:33 pm

Courtesy of rivals.com

Name: Jay Taylor
Position: Wide Receiver
Height: 6' 3"
Weight: 184
40-yard dash: 4.6
High School: Lufkin
Hometown: Lufkin, TX

Date: 11/26/2000 22:47:00 PST
Commentary by: Geoff Ketchum of Lone Star Recruiting.com

"With relaxed recruiting restrictions, the SMU football program is hoping that it can take its recruiting to a new level this year. If the Mustangs first commitment is any indication, things are headed in the right direction. Last week, Lufkin, Texas wide receiver Jay Taylor became the first player to give a verbal commitment to the Mustangs. “Basically, this summer they really started to recruit me pretty hard,” Taylor said. “They called and wrote me a lot, letting me know that they really wanted me.” Two weeks ago, the Mustangs finally offered the 6-3, 184-pound Taylor. He committed this past Wednesday.

'It really came down to academics,' Taylor said. 'Some of the other schools matched what SMU offered as a football program, but they couldn’t match the academics. That was big.' "

Rumor has it we're close to getting a commitment from three to four more really good receivers. — Corso

[This message has been edited by Corso (edited 11-27-2000).]
Corso
Hall of Famer

Postby WildHorse » Mon Nov 27, 2000 4:34 pm

Going from the Dallas Morning News to the rivals.com post, Taylor seems to be shrinking.

I realize HS coaches boost their players' numbers to help them in recruiting, but is this going to be like Marcus Carter, who was 6-4 when he was being recruited and now is something like 6-1?
Go PONIES!
WildHorse
All-American

Postby Guest » Mon Nov 27, 2000 10:28 pm

Idle question: I'm thrilled with Jay Taylor, if he's as good as people say he is. But if he's that tall and that fast and that good, why was Tulsa the only other school chasing him?

Return to Recruiting