PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Ryan Gilbert

Discuss SMU recruiting in this forum.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Ryan Gilbert

Postby Recruiting Guru » Fri Dec 01, 2000 2:05 pm

The Dallas (Hillcrest) QB -- an incredible athlete who can stay home by going to SMU or can play big-time college ball at schools like Nebraska and Miami, which already have offered him scholarships -- is in Lubbock this weekend visiting Texas Tech.

WHY ?!?!?!?!?
Recruiting Guru
Varsity

Re: Ryan Gilbert

Postby Corso » Fri Dec 01, 2000 2:33 pm

Not so fast my friends.

Gilbert may be enjoying a free trip, and a little wining and dining, but he already has given an oral (non-binding) commitment to Miami.
Corso
Hall of Famer

Postby Houston Pony » Fri Dec 01, 2000 4:26 pm

I think Gilbert's a tad overhyped. Don't get me wrong: he'd be the feather in our cap if we ever got him, but I don't think he'll stand out as much at Miami or Nebraska, etc. He's put up great numbers in arguably one of the weakest 4A districts in Texas. It's one thing to return kicks and punts for touchdowns, and look great on offense against players from Thomas Jefferson, Adamson and Roosevelt, but it's another thing to do it against even an HP, or some good 5A schools. They were knocked out in the first round this season, and only got out of the first round last season on some fluke plays.
Houston Pony
Junior Varsity

Postby SMUFan » Mon Dec 04, 2000 2:45 pm

As of today, he's switched his commitment from Miami to Texas Tech, where he'll play wide receiver. Why anyone would choose Tech over Miami is a mystery that never will be solved....
SMUFan
All-American

Return to Recruiting