PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Recruits today

Discuss SMU recruiting in this forum.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Recruits today

Postby ponytalk » Sun Dec 03, 2000 2:06 am

I have heard we had a kicker, QB, and O-lineman with a linebacker or two and your general athletes. I think Victer Mercado was the o-lineman from El Paso. I think he is about 6-2ish weighing in at 270-280? Sound familar anyone? I think a guy named Dansbury was there, first name Don maybe. I think he is a linebacker seriously thinking SMU. We might be close to getting him. My friend who knows a lot about recruits in Texas tells me that Mercado is visiting La. Tech next week and we are high on his list. Anyone else got any insight.
I like the fact that we had a kicker. I think we might have a punter visiting soon also. Not too bad of an idea to have some special teamers on the list.
Cavan was at the game this afternoon with the recruits and some other coaches. Cavan did no talking with the guys and seemed to not be enjoying the basketball game. Was his disinterest due to us winning? Not sure, but a tip to coaches, talk to the recruits and at least make them think you care and want them to come here!
ponytalk
Varsity

Re: Recruits today

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Dec 03, 2000 10:20 am

Or, is it possible Cavan was thinking to himself: "how impressed must these kids be watching what is obviously a quality, winning bball team play in front of less than 3,000 fans"? Doesn't exactly make for the exciting atmosphere you'd like to be able to show a kid.
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PonyFan » Sun Dec 03, 2000 7:10 pm

The coaches may have seemed uninterested, but the recruits and the players (I know I recognized Johnnie Freeman in the group) seemed to be enjoying themselves. Also, the crowd traditionally is smaller in November and December than it is after the New Year.

The crowds will be there in January, especially when we beat Tennessee and enter 2001 undefeated!
"What kind of weirdo school are they running over there in Fort Worth?"
- Randy Galloway
ESPN Radio (103.3 FM)
PonyFan
Heisman

Postby Recruiting Guru » Sun Dec 03, 2000 7:40 pm

The kid you mentioned is actually Don Stansbury from El Paso Irvin, which is a school that has produced some decent college players (Baylor High quarterback-turned-safety Odell James, for one.) He's a safety/linebacker prospect, 6-1, 198, 4.7 in the 40.

His list includes SMU, Oklahoma, A&M, UCLA, Kentucky, Arkansas and Baylor. But we probably won't have to beat out all those schools -- OU, among others, won't touch a linebacker that size, and won't touch a safety with that kind of speed (or lack thereof).

As for the others, the offensive lineman, Victor Mercado of Irving, is 6-3 and reportedly over 300 pounds. Trey Griffin, being widely recruited as an "athlete" plays at Lockhart, Texas, and is said to be one of the fastest players in the state. He will have a LOT of coaches at his door before recruiting season is over, but the word is that he likes SMU a lot.

Quarterback Richard Bartel was at Saturday's basketball game against Tulane. Don't know a great deal about him, other than the fact that he's very tall (6-4-ish) and has a lively arm -- he throws a very nice deep ball. No idea who his other choices are, but I'm working on it.

Earl Morris is a running back at Klein, where fellow SMU recruit Yamar Washington plays. Both are talented players who could find a home on the Hilltop, although Washington is said to be leaning toward Rice.
Recruiting Guru
Varsity

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Dec 03, 2000 11:26 pm

Bartel is apparently looking at La Tech, Purdue & Houston, among others. The other board is reporting that he verbally committed following this weekend's visit.

We had a few guys who changed their minds last year (remember Mewelde Moore?). If he does come, I certainly like his height.
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Return to Recruiting