PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

O-line information

Discuss SMU recruiting in this forum.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

O-line information

Postby Guest » Mon Dec 04, 2000 2:22 pm

Being a former o-lineman at this wonderful school, I would really like some information on some possible recruits. I believe this is the most needed position for the mustangs right now. I know I am not saying anything you do not already know. So, any information would be nice.

Re: O-line information

Postby Guest » Tue Dec 05, 2000 6:31 pm

Stanglover,

You know no matter what info comes about with a prospect, they will never live up to the abilities of old number 70. I don't know if SMU will ever be the same without him in the line up.

Postby Guest » Tue Dec 05, 2000 8:33 pm

BHo78 isn't it the truth. 70 was so great and hard to replace. I still haven't seen flaring, bulging arms like that before in my life. 70 please come back HaHa. 63 and 78 were mere peons compared to Adonas. Long live the fat!!!

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Dec 06, 2000 9:19 am

Someone posted on the other site all the OL who have turned up on various lists as "considering" SMU
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Corso » Wed Dec 06, 2000 12:47 pm

Here are the names from other boards and some info on those I've gotten reports on.

Blake Burns - 6-3 - 290 - Kansas JUCO
- JUCO O-linemen were instrumental in lifting K-State from traditional doormat to national power. Got their running game untracked.

Chris Gocke 6-4 250 Calif. JUCO
- Same analysis, although with (probably) two years left to play, I like the first kid's weight a lot more.

David Jungbauer 6-4 270 Navaro J.C.
- I see a theme here. Nice height, hit the weight room and the buffet line.

Kyle Jackson 6-3 320 Texarkana H.S.
- Sign him. A friend has seen him play, and says he's pretty mobile for his size and has a serious mean streak.

Coy Miller 6-2 285 Louisiana H.S.
- Sign him. Sign him. Supposed to be very quick for an offensive lineman, sort of in the Thornton Chandler mold.

Joe Woods 6-3 240 Crandal H.S.
- Supposed to be a very good player, but 240? Let's check out his family history to see how much more he can grow.

Ryan Carlock 6-3 290 F.W. Country Day
- Private school kid, and I hear he's a little soft, because he's always bigger than everyone he plays against. I'd say stay away.

Scott Dale 6-4 290 Arlington Grace Prep
- Supposed to break the stereotype of soft private school players. Could bulk up to 320-330.

Craig Jones 6-1 270 Garland H.S.
- VERY smart player who uses leverage very well, much like Mark Stepnoski does.

Jason May 6-4 275 Graham H.S.
- Described as a Nebraska-type of lineman. Country kid with a big appetite and raw strength.

Victor Mercado 6-4 310 Irving H.S.
- Big. Strong. Nasty run blocker. A real player.

Quentin Holman 6-2 300 Jacksonville H.S.
- Jacksonville traditionally has a very gool offensive line. Let's hope McCown's departure doesn't seal off that pipeline. Sign this kid.

Derek Warehime 6-3 276 Oklahoma H.S.
- See Jason May analysis. Big meaty kid who brawls. It will be tough to land him, but well worth the effort.

Jay Biedenharn 6-1 318 Vicksburg MS. H.S.
- There are some reports out there saying this kid is 6-foot-10. Either way, it will be very hard to keep him from the three Mississippi schools.

David Douglas 6-3 276 Klein Forest 5.1
- Don't know anything about him.

Tommy Miller 6-4 291 Permian 4.9
- Permian is a factory, and if Cavan is going to pull this "have to establish the run first" offensive scheme theory again, we may as well get linemen who can run-block.

Kurt Falke 6-7 280 Bellville 5.3
- Look at his height. Could easily carry 340 and add considerable strength. Supposedly overpowers opponents with brute strength. Needs to work on quickness and pass-blocking.
Corso
Hall of Famer

Postby Recruiting Guru » Wed Dec 06, 2000 1:04 pm

In a dream world, SMU should sign the following:

Kyle Jackson
Coy Miller
Craig Jones
Jason May
Victor Mercado
Quentin Holman
Derek Warehime
Kurt Falke

That's a lot of offensive linemen, but we need them. Get those kids and the rest of the class almost doesn't matter. We've got a couple of good athletes already committed, and these guys can lay the foundation for a nice line in the future. Whoever else we would sign would be gravy.
Recruiting Guru
Varsity

Postby Guest » Wed Dec 06, 2000 2:46 pm

I like like the information Corso and I like the way you think Recruiting Guru. You can have all the athelets you want but if you don't have any big meaty guys up front, these fast kids are worthless. In my opinion, we recruit no less than six offensive and six defensive lineman. This might seem a little excessive to some of you but we have a solid supply of "skilled players" for a while. This does not mean don't recruit any, but bring in much more linemen that are huge. I remember when Rossley was here, he told myself and the other linemen I came in with that we would all play at 310-330. Maybe a little much but would have been nice. Now, nothing against Cavan, I like the guy, but when he came in he told us to lose down to 280-295. This is not Georgia football in the 60's. I want more weight.

Long live the fat kids!!!

Postby Guest » Wed Dec 06, 2000 3:18 pm

Couldn't agree with you more stanglover, and that is where the training table comes into play. If you put on the right kind of weight, you can be dangerous at 300lbs. None of this 260-270 stuff. If anybody knows this, it is us.

Postby Guest » Wed Dec 06, 2000 4:25 pm

Preach on BHo, ain't it the truth.

Long live the fat kids!!!

Postby Recruiting Guru » Wed Dec 06, 2000 6:35 pm

Stanglover -

Thanks for the kind words -- I really enjoy following this stuff, and Corso REALLY knows what he's talking about.

You're absolutely right .... we can have a track team for our skill players, but without some big Hogs up front, they're going to get killed. I really want those eight offensive linemen, and at least five defensive linemen. That still leaves eight places or so for "athletic" guys (not that the big fellas aren't great athletes -- they are.)
Recruiting Guru
Varsity

Postby BUS » Tue Dec 12, 2000 4:24 pm

This is the best line of posts that have been put on the board. If SMU does not get some BIG MEN to play on the line, the future is not so bright.

Come on CAVAN and Coaches - You can bring in the herd!!!!
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby BleedingRed+Blue » Mon Dec 18, 2000 2:37 am

Stanglover & Corso -- You're right about needing the big guys up front before our fast skill players can do anything. How many times did Chris Cunningham get damn-near get killed because our linemen couldn't get out there to block?
BleedingRed+Blue
All-American

Postby Corso » Tue Jan 02, 2001 3:07 pm

There are many reports circulating in several different sources that Falke committed to Duke.
Corso
Hall of Famer

Return to Recruiting