PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Recruiting this year!!!

Discuss SMU recruiting in this forum.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Recruiting this year!!!

Postby Jason » Wed Dec 06, 2000 8:21 pm

Our recruiting is much, much better than last year. we have interest from 21 2 star or higher players according to lone star, 8 state top 100 according to the DMN, and 13 all america or all region prospects from prep star. In the past couple of years, we couldnt come close to this at this point in the recruiting season, even when we got the comet, cardwell, etc. in that class. It looks to me like, while we dont have a lot of super studs interested in us (jayme jackson stands out), we have a lot of "good" players that are intersted in us. I think that SMU needs to increase the skill level of the *average* player before its skill players can really perform, so to me this is really good news. I also see 5 well rated offensive linemen are intersted, so that bodes well... of course those two kickers brighten things as well Image.

So, the next question is, do we have a chance to get shawn willis, jayme jackson, Jeremy Madkins, Bret Rayl, Jake Jackson or AJ Hugland?

Also, how good is Jay Taylor? Anyone seen him?

Thanks in advance!!!
Jason
Recruit

Re: Recruiting this year!!!

Postby Houston Pony » Wed Dec 06, 2000 8:57 pm

I don't know about getting those other guys, but I know for sure that Rayl isn't interested in us. I talked with him after the Haltom game, and he's looking at OU, Nebraska and Tech.
Houston Pony
Junior Varsity

Re: Recruiting this year!!!

Postby kangaroo » Wed Dec 06, 2000 11:16 pm

I agree there seems to be more interest. Last year at this time the Morning News showed 5 state 100 and 11 area 100 kids interested. This year it is 8 state and 26 area. The Star Telegram also shows our numbers up but not as much - 5 state kids up from 4 last year and 8 area kids up from 7 last year. Good to see more Dallas area kids - we need to recruit our own back yard.

One other interesting note, there are 8-10 kids that are on both lists which show interest in SMU in one paper but do not have us listed in the other. It will be interesting to see how this pans out. Also, Mercado, who seems interested after his visit last weekend, does not list us in either paper.
kangaroo

Return to Recruiting