PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Talent Pool

Discuss SMU recruiting in this forum.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Talent Pool

Postby 91Stang » Fri Jan 12, 2001 7:42 pm

With the recent commitment of athlete ShanDerrick Charles ATH (as reported in three media outlets), we now have commitments from such football hotbeds as Port Arthur (Lincoln), Richland, Lockhart, Rowlett, Bellaire, Lufkin and Diboll .... not exactly the regular football factories like Plano, Austin, DISD, Houston, etc. Are we reaching or are we better at pulling guys from little towns because our coaches somehow relate to them?
HOCKEY'S BACK!
91Stang
Varsity

Re: Talent Pool

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Jan 12, 2001 9:05 pm

I'm hoping this is what coach Ringo is bringing to the table as our new recruiting coordinator. Remember, he was President of the TX HS Coaches Association and undoubtedly has a lot of contacts. I'm sure Cavan was hopeful those contacts would net us some "diamonds in the rough". Time will tell!
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby HorsePower » Sun Jan 14, 2001 2:25 am

What about all the areas around Houston, like Katy, The Woodlands, etc.? There are some big-time football players down there. We need to be getting them.
HorsePower
Heisman

Postby Boston Pony » Sun Jan 14, 2001 10:25 am

Getting to the door via the high school coach and getting through it are two different things (except at Alabama). Coach Ringo can help, however the kid makes the decision about where to go. It seems as if we are going to some smaller schools to pick up kids, which is okay. Generally, the kids from smaller schools miss out on some of the sophisticated systems the big schools have the luxury to use. Alot of great players come from small schools. The key is the coaching they will get once they are here. They also will need time to develop, which may cut down on early playing time... Lets hope we get some big guys, who can take the first year to learn.
Boston Pony
Varsity

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Jan 14, 2001 10:44 am

I did'nt mean to suggest Ringo's presence was going to help us land "big name" kids. Everyone knows about the studs coming out of H.S. and the big schools from the BCS conferences are there reeling them in. I was hopeful coach Ringo would be using his contacts to learn from H.S. coaches around the state about that next tier of kid who gets overlooked by the big boys. I'm talking about the late bloomers, the kid that is still growing, the kid with the big heart, the kid that might be slightly weaker, slower, smaller but has great football instincts and is a tireless worker. That's our rung on the recruiting ladder...unless or until we turn this thing around to the point where our football team is winning WAC championships and playing to sellout crowds.
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Return to Recruiting