PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

We NEED this guy!

Discuss SMU recruiting in this forum.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

We NEED this guy!

Postby Corso » Tue Jan 16, 2001 12:17 am

I had heard we were struggling to get him into school academically, but if he's coming for a visit, that must have changed. He is a terrific player - a tough run stopped with deceptive quickness who can really get after the quarterback. Non-stop motor reminds some of former SMU star Jerry Ball.

Courtesy of Lone Star Recruiting:

Fred Thwreat
Position: Defensive Tackle
Height: 6' 2"
Weight: 275
High School: Lee
Hometown: Midland, TX
Ranking: #31

Choices:
Texas Tech - High Interest - Jan. 12 visit
SMU - Medium Interest - Jan. 19 visit
Texas A&M - Medium Interest - Jan. 16 visit

Commentary by: Geoff Ketchum of Rivals100.com

One of the top defensive linemen in the Lone Star State took an official visit to Texas Tech this weekend. “It was decent,” Midland (Texas) Lee defensive tackle Fred Thwreat said. “I liked it a lot. Right now I am really feeling Tech. Coach McMackin has coached great players before at my position. I’ve looked up to Warren Sapp since my ninth grade year and if I can learn the stuff that he taught him that would be great.” Thwreat added that he is scheduled to visit Texas A&M and SMU this week. “I leave for A&M on Tuesday and then visit SMU on January 19th,” Thwreat said. “A&M offered me the Saturday before last and SMU was actually the first to offer. I could have a decision by next Tuesday. Like I said, I am really feeling Tech right now.”
Corso
Hall of Famer

Re: We NEED this guy!

Postby PonyGirl » Sat Jan 20, 2001 8:00 pm

I hear he's in town this weekend. Get him signed! Still not enough big guys for BUS's taste, but this guy would be a nice addition. How many big guys do we have committed? Scott Dale, Brad Kieschnick, Marcus Walker -- we're on the right track.
PonyGirl
Varsity

Return to Recruiting