PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

How do you rate the recruits?

Discuss SMU recruiting in this forum.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

How do you rate the recruits?

Postby Jason » Wed Feb 07, 2001 6:52 pm

Now that the class is official, how do you rate the recruits? I'll start:

A: excellent
B: Above average
C: average
D: Below Average
F: horrible

Bartel: Got a lot of state wide awards, and was recruited by purdue.
Grade: B

ShanDerrick: Listed highly by some people, but not recruited by name institution.
Grade: C+

Scott Dale: All state for prep, no name institutions recruited him.
Grade: D

Russ Davis: all-state, had wisconsin looking at him, good stats
Grade: B+

Dineen: Comes from good program, not a lot of recognition, but looks from ND, South Carolina.
Grade: B-

Griffin: top 15 athelete in texas and on some 100 lists, nobody big went after him though. Small but really fast.

Hunt: has good relatives and is fast. Thats about it.
Grade: D

James: looked at by some decent schools, not much else.
Grade: C

Kieschnick: top 5 center in the state, not looked at by great colleges, but may be more of a student

McMurtray: all-state, decent states, wisconsin and marshall wanted him.

Tommy Miller: Texas A&M looked at him. Also listed somewhere as a top DEFENSIVE linemen.
Grade: B or B+

Earl Morris: Tope 10 fullback, top 20 running back. semi-nice schools looked at him.

Ashton Nixon: nobody good looked at him even though he had good stats.
Grade: C-

Hulsey Smith: earned some nice honor even though nobody looked his way.

Stansbury: all-state and recruited by TCU, some okay schools, rated pretty well

Jay Taylor: rated highly, not recruited by great schools, but maybe due to academics and the fact he committed early.

Matt Terry: second team all state in florida is good, especially on a team that had so many D-1 recruits. No big schools looked at him though.

Cedric Vinson: Second team all state, nooone looked at him.

Marcus Walker: second team all state, 73 in Lousiana, arkansas and LSu were after him, great size.

I would give us a C/C+ average. I think we got a few pretty goodp layers, but noone really sticks out as a great one...
Jason
Recruit

Re: How do you rate the recruits?

Postby Big D » Wed Feb 07, 2001 8:08 pm

I think you probably need to post this on MM. I personally think this is an excellent class. If you want to compare us with U Tx.,you can forget pulling their top recriuts from them, it's not going to ever happen. Or any other top program in the country(Fl. FlSt. aTm Tenn, etc.)
Big D
Scout Team

Postby Jason » Wed Feb 07, 2001 8:41 pm

Did my post sound too negative? I think everyone on the other board is way too down about this class. I give us a C for the class, but I also think it is a decent class. No one sticks out, but it is a bunch of players who will play and be decent, and some will be above average, but just no players that are really over the top. I dont think it was a bad class at all, and I dont think that there were any guys where you look at the size and really question something (for instance, last year we had a d. line recruit that was 200 pounds flat!). The players I gave low marks to could easily prove me wrong, especially the athelete.

All in all, I hope my post wasnt too negative, I just meant to say this is an average class; nothing special, but definately nothing to get down about. It should position us well in the WAC!
Jason
Recruit

Postby Big D » Thu Feb 08, 2001 12:07 am

No, it wasn't too negative. I just know for the last two years anyway, people expect recruits to come in and solidify the team. I, personally think, the last two years groups have contributed some. Most D-1 schools especially, don'tt plan on their recruits to help for at least 2 years. Here, they are expected to come out of high school and dominate at the D-1 level.
Big D
Scout Team

Postby ponytalk » Thu Feb 08, 2001 3:32 am

Your post was not too negative at all. In fact, I think that is one of the better posts I have ever seen. You gave your honest opinion on everything and I think you are pretty on track with it.

I think last year's class was weak, the year before's was the best since the DP, or at least since I have followed SMU, which is not that long. Ford, Hampton, Comet, Freeman, Briggs, some good Olinemen (many of which got hurt) and the list goes on. I do not think this class is as good as 99's but it is better than last years. It looks like we got some decent linemen on both sides, but we needed twice as many at that position. SMU has plenty of athletes on the football team. We seem to bring in too many athletes and not enough horses. That is where we lack and I hope we can change next year.
ponytalk
Varsity

Postby Corso » Mon Feb 12, 2001 12:48 am

Not too harsh, not too soft - check back in three years, and we'll see how accurate these assessments are!
Corso
Hall of Famer

Postby Recruiting Guru » Tue Feb 13, 2001 1:10 pm

Bartel: Bazooka arm, average mobility.

ShanDerrick Charles: Very good athlete, size a major concern. Tough for his size, shifty enough to avoid direct hits, stronger than he appears and versatile enough to help in multiple areas. Probably will switch from RB to DB after a year.

Scott Dale: Size is ideal, but level of competition faced makes him ill-prepared for college game. Not ready for the physical pounding that goes on at college level. Guaranteed redshirt. But massive frame could mean extra weight and strength.

Russ Davis: As good as a K/P can be. Canon of a leg. Accuracy and how quickly he can get ball up high will be crucial. Has perfect mentality for kicker
Grade: A-

Dineen: Project. Serious potential, as Notre Dame/South Carolina looks might suggest.

Griffin: Speed overcomes lack of size and small-school pedigree. Sleeper of class. Could star as kick returner.

Hunt: A case in which speed had better make up for lack of high school productivity
Grade: D+

James: Could be a pleasant surprise, and could make SEC schools angry they let him get away. Above average speed, tremendous instincts and hitting ability

Kieschnick: Centers are invaluable linemen, and he can deep-snap .... which he may be able to do as a true freshman. Needs to add size and strength to contribute on the offensive line.

McMurtray: Insurance policy for Davis.

Tommy Miller: You can't teach 300 pounds, and while he has some extra weight, he's not overly fat by any means. Could lose some weight (undoubtedly will during two-a-days) but will pack it back on in the weight room. When he gets back over 300, look out.

Earl Morris: Highly-regarded, but a classic 'tweener. Not quite big enough to be an overpowering fullback, not quite fast enough to be a game-breaking tailback.

Ashton Nixon: The biggest stretch for a diamond in the rough. Terrific athlete whose high school stats were skewed by the fact that (A) his team was awful and (B) his offensive line was so bad he spent most of the time running for his life. Doesn't have Bartel's arm, but has better wheels. Look for him to move to a different position in a year or two.
Grade: C-

Hulsey Smith: Unknown who will make SMU coaches look like geniuses if he amounts to much at all.
Grade: D+

Stansbury: Terrific all-around player who played many different positions for his HS team -- H-back, safety, linebacker and even defensive end. Coach said he's like another coach on the field, a real student of the game, and he is a sensational hitter. Will be a major contributor early on the Hilltop.

Jay Taylor: Receivers this big and fast are more valuable than currency. Physical tools alone give him the chance to be a huge offensive weapon for the Ponies. Needs to get stronger.

Matt Terry: Another project? Lightly recruited.

Cedric Vinson: Should be the star of this class. Ridiculous athlete whose ankle injury scared off the likes of UCLA, Notre Dame, Nebraska, etc.... Is scoring about 28 ppg in basketball this year, now that his ankle finally has healed.

Marcus Walker: Again, size is an immediate asset, and he has a reputation as a brawler, as having a mean streak. Could contribute right away.
Recruiting Guru
Varsity

Return to Recruiting