PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Way to get offensive linemen

Discuss SMU recruiting in this forum.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Way to get offensive linemen

Postby PonyTales » Tue May 08, 2001 1:16 pm

Coaches: Why not recruit in Nebraska? We all know we're not going to take the top linemen away from the Cornhuskers. But there's an army of kids in that state who grow up wanting to play offensive line for Nebraska. A handful get scholarships to NU. Several more go out of state, and some are part of the Huskers' well-known walk-on program.

But here's the thing. Almost every one of them arrives in Lincoln about 6-4, 290-320 pounds, can bench press the tractor they drove to high school and they eat when the wrestle a steer into the oven. These kids are enormous, and all they've ever wanted to do is farm and play offensive line. Even if we assume that the top few will play for Nebraska, Oklahoma or Kansas State, there are still a hell of a lot of huge offensive linemen up there who can play, and while they might initially be upset that they're not playing in Memorial Stadium, surely there are some who would want a great education at a great school, would enjoy living in a city larger than Wahoo, Neb., would take a liking to southern girls, etc.

BUS, back me up here. We all talk about the need to sign big offensive linemen, and there's a million of them up there. Go get 'em.
PonyTales
Heisman

Re: Way to get offensive linemen

Postby PK » Tue May 08, 2001 1:34 pm

Veeeeeery intertesting concept PonyTales!! Sounds like a no brainer to me. What about it coaches???

[This message has been edited by PK (edited 05-08-2001).]
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby ponytalk » Tue May 08, 2001 2:53 pm

iiiiiiiiiiiitttttt iiiiiiisssss isn't it?
ponytalk
Varsity

Postby PonyFan » Wed May 09, 2001 11:18 am

I like the idea, PonyTales. I'd think Nebraska could be for linemen what Florida is for fast "skill position" players - a gold mine with a limitless stash.
"What kind of weirdo school are they running over there in Fort Worth?"
- Randy Galloway
ESPN Radio (103.3 FM)
PonyFan
Heisman

Postby Ball Boy » Tue May 29, 2001 12:30 pm

We are leaving one little area untapped. In the recent years we have stopped recruiting California heavily. There are some very large lineman out there who wouldn't mind coming to Texas, because they get to go home once a year(Fresno, San Jose). I think that there are some untapped resources out there. Look at the guys San Jose St. had last year. They were much larger than our guys.
All HAIL TEXASTANG
Ball Boy
Recruit

Postby smu'06 » Tue May 29, 2001 4:16 pm

But isn't the competition much greater in California? I think there is plenty up in PA as well, at least with PA, the guys wont have to wallow in the cold and icey conditions that they would have to in PA.
University of South Carolina Student and Fan
SMU Fan and possible Law Student
smu'06
Junior Varsity

Postby Hoofprint » Tue May 29, 2001 5:01 pm

Actually, if you want an untapped source - check out Hawaii. UH always has some monster linemen, and Nebraska has signed at least one from Hawaii in each of the last five years. Dominic Riaola, the center who just got drafted by the Detroit Lions, was a repeat All-America at Nebraska and a finalist for the Lombardi and Outland Trophies, and he went to St. Louis High School in Honolulu. They have maybe another half dozen Hawaiians on the NU roster, and I'd think there are a lot of big linemen out there who'd like a free education at a great school.
Hoofprint
All-American

Postby No Cal Pony » Wed Jul 25, 2001 9:24 pm

California is heavily recruited by schools all across the country. I've long maintained the thought that we could get some good kids from out here. Saw that from when I used to love in Los Angeles, and now see it that I live in the Sacramento area. Plenty of talent that we could use, and probably would consider SMU. I mean, look at the choice, Fresno or Dallas? Heck, nevada is getting kids from here. tennessee got the #1 recruit from the area last year. It just takes some visits to stir the interest.
No Cal Pony
Varsity

Return to Recruiting