PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Johnathon Palmer

Discuss SMU recruiting in this forum.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Johnathon Palmer

Postby Big Cat » Wed Jun 06, 2001 8:06 pm

As I have mentioned before, Bob Wheeler, from Longhornfanzone.com does an <B>great</B> job with interviewing recruits. He puts at a newsletter, which you can subscribe to at <A HREF="http://www.longhornfanzone.com," TARGET=_blank>http://www.longhornfanzone.com,</A> and it is a great piece of information. Is is 100% free, and all he asks is that you click on his ads. Not a bad price to pay, if you ask me. He puts a lot of money into this stuff. Anyway, here is the info on Johnathon Palmer

Here are three more updates from the Tyler Lee players I interviewed late last week. Two of them are well known but one is maybe a little bit of a sleeper. He won't be after this year. As a matter of fact, I'll say that he's probably Top 100 type material now. Sadly, he'll probably go to A&M but those are the breaks. You gotta tell the truth even when it makes you ill.
Here we go:

Jonathan Palmer, TE/DT, Tyler Lee, 6'4", 250, 4.7

Yes that's right, he was a TE and a defensive tackle, not defensive end. Palmer really didn't play a lot of pass catching tight end tough, mostly was used in a blocking role. Remember that Lee ran the ball all the time with Derek Farmer and didn't throw much. That will change this year. Lee is going back to its 65-35 pass run offense and Palmer will be a primary target along with Womble.
Though J.P. (as he's called by the team) only caught 4 regular season passes his athleticism is what's drawing crowds. He was the only player on Lee's playoff team to play both sides of the ball. He played slot back when they needed a big fast blocker, tight end in the one and two tight end sets, and started at DT. Hell, he didn't just start at DT, he was First Team All-District. Remember that means he was 1st team All-District in the group with state runner-up John Tyler and traditional powers Longview, Lufkin, and Marshall.
At tight end he was used a little more in the playoffs, scoring twice on tight end screens.
Physically Palmer can end up being one of the top tight ends in the state. He's awful strong with a 275 pound bench, but what's more impressive than that is that he tested the day I was there with a vertical leap of 30 inches, a number you usually only see from wideouts. He also runs a 4.7 40 at 250 pounds. That's impressive.
And he's already fully qualified. Hell I think he could drop out now and be qualified by the clearing house. If you haven't heard much about Palmer, just wait. You will. Here's his questionnaire:

Jonathan "J.P." Palmer
Tyler Lee, TE/DT, #48
6'4", 250, 4.7
Bench: 275
Vertical leap: 30

Receptions: 4
Yards: 95
TDs: 0 regular season, 2 post-season

1st Team All-District 2001

Your current favorite colleges ( 4/4/01)

1. Texas A&M (Letters)
2. Texas (Letters)
3. Southern Miss (Letters)
4. SMU (Letters)
5. UL Lafayette (Letters, has offered scholarship)

Which colleges do your parents like best?

1. Texas A&M
2. Southern Miss
3. Texas

Do you plan to commit early or wait? commit early

Which camps will you attend this summer?

1. Southern Miss
2. Texas A&M
3. SMU

Which other sports did you letter in? Track

Do you plan to play any other sports in college? No

Which position do you want to play in college? either DT or DE

Have you taken the ACT or SAT? Both. ACT = 23, SAT = 980

What is your current high school GPA? 4.0

Folks, that's a tight end. And a real nice fella. Right now if I had to guess I'd say A&M. Of course you know how these things go. A lot will depend on his senior season. Also I don't know if they'll offer him, or if he'll change his mind and look elsewhere. Just an impression. Good kid though. Here's a picture of him:

======

Wheeler
======
<A HREF="http://www.longhornfanzone.com" TARGET=_blank>www.longhornfanzone.com</A>

[This message has been edited by Big Cat (edited 06-06-2001).]
Big Cat
Scout Team

Re: Johnathon Palmer

Postby PK » Wed Jun 06, 2001 9:08 pm

Forget the letters man, offer this kid a scholarship now...he would make a nice early commit!!
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Return to Recruiting