PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Ponies get third commitment!

Discuss SMU recruiting in this forum.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Ponies get third commitment!

Postby Hoofprint » Wed Jul 18, 2001 10:31 am

This was printed in the Dallas Morning News today (7/18/01)

SMU gets commitment from Dayton lineman

Dayton defensive lineman Randy Denman (6-2, 265) has orally committed to SMU. It is the Mustangs' third oral commitment from a member of the class of 2002. Verbal commitments are non-binding.

The first day an athlete can sign a national letter of intent is Feb. 6, 2002.

"It just seems like a great school, and they want to win," Denman said. "I also want to get a good education."

– Richard Durrett
Hoofprint
All-American

Re: Ponies get third commitment!

Postby Recruiting Guru » Wed Jul 18, 2001 10:44 am

This is another great pickup for SMU. Denman is a very strong lineman who is a punishing run blocker and has shown great improvement in pass blocking. He also has a frame that will easily carry another 30 pounds or more.

Before people start complaining about Coach Cavan and his win totals at SMU, let's give him and his staff a big tip of the hat for the start they've made on recruiting. Billups, Gilmore and Denman are three very solid players who all should be major contributors at SMU in the next few years. Congratulations, Coach Cavan. Keep up the good work.
Recruiting Guru
Varsity

Postby Vitale » Wed Jul 18, 2001 10:57 am

BUS, you've got to be digging this. Three commitments already, and two of them are linemen.

Start warming up the pre-game grill. See you on The Boulevard.
Vitale
All-American

Postby SETEXCOACH » Wed Jul 18, 2001 9:02 pm

Congratulations Randy and to SMU. Randy has started for me since he was a sophmore and it has been fun watching him improve. Randy is a hard worker on and off the field. He will be huge factor for us winning this season. I know he will do all of you Pony fans proud.
SETEXCOACH

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Jul 18, 2001 10:14 pm

SETEXCOACH: can you help us out with some more information on Randy? The DMN article says he's a DL, but Recruiting Guru's post above suggests he plays on the OL. Is it true he has a frame that will allow him to bulk up as suggested? What can you tell us about his speed/quickness/footwork? Any additional information would be appreciated. We get pretty excited around here when any well thought of OL/DL says he wants to be a Mustang!
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby SETEXCOACH » Thu Jul 19, 2001 1:20 pm

Randy right now is a light looking 260. HE will be able to handle as much as 25-30 more pounds I think. Randy plays with great hands and balance. Speed to me is not a huge deal unless you are talking about a skill position kid. The reason I say this is, if a D-linemen has to run 40 yds to make a play you are in trouble anyways. Randy will run a 4.9, not bad for a big kid, but is quick in that all important 1st 5-10 yd burst. Randy's strength is coming around. Some kids bloom late with strength and then explode. This is what is happening to Randy right now. He is exploding in the weightroom. He will come to SMU benching over 350lbs and will be ready to play.
SETEXCOACH

Postby Guest » Thu Jul 19, 2001 2:11 pm

Sounds good. Thanks for the info Coach. Good luck on your season.

Postby 50's PONY » Thu Jul 19, 2001 10:40 pm

A sincere note to all of you who are getting excited about football recruiting. Have you thought about taking the time to call or email Mike Cavan and Johnny Ringo to say "Keep up the good work -- we are pulling for you." I hope so! It would certainly let them know that there are people out there who support them.
50's PONY
Heisman

Postby SETEXCOACH » Fri Jul 20, 2001 12:07 pm

In the district we play in there are some big offensive linemen. E play the likes of Nederland, West Orange, and Forest Brook out of Houston. These will all have D-I linemen and Randy is a force that they will have to account for on their blocking schemes.
As far as our team, we are ranked #18 in the state and picked to win our district. Our defense will be led by Randy and another of my d-linemen Joseph Edwards who is on everybody's short list for the top d-linemen in the state. Joseph is being heavily recruited by Texas, LSU, and Oklahoma. We have a great opportunity to make some noise deep in the playoffs this year. WE have been to the playoffs 6 years in a row now, so these kids know how to get it done.
SETEXCOACH

Return to Recruiting