PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

2 Private School Recruits

Discuss SMU recruiting in this forum.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

2 Private School Recruits

Postby SMUguy » Mon Jul 30, 2001 11:15 am

Dallas Jesuit has two guys we should be looking at.

Rocco Milazzotto, is the Rangers' star WR/DB, and he attended SMU's first camp. SMU did not offer, but reportedly is interested. Rocco is 5-foot-10 and runs in the 4.55 range, but had great games against the speedy players at Dallas Carter and Dallas Hillcrest. Apparently he has a real interest in staying home, and would love to play for SMU, if given the chance.

Patrick Burns is a DT in the 6-4, 260 range. Considered Jesuit's top D-1 recruit. Patrick has been offered by Texas Tech, Indiana, Oklahoma State, and Wyoming. He also is considering some Ivy League schools. Word is he has not been heavily recruited by SMU.

Not sure why SMU doesn't recruit Jesuit. We showed little interest in WR Omar Jenkins (who ended up accepting a scholarship from Notre Dame) and DT Thomas Derricks, who signed with Northwestern and was recruited by just about every national power in the country. There's a little bit of talent up the road at Jesuit.
"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."
"Hit it."
SMUguy
Heisman

Re: 2 Private School Recruits

Postby WildHorse » Wed Aug 01, 2001 10:50 am

I don't know -- Milazzotto just doesn't sound like a football name.

But a DT who's 6-4, 260 entering his final year of high school is pretty appealing. And look at the schools that have offered him -- two Big 12 schools, one Big 10 team and a Mountain West team. I dare say we'd be happy to play in any of those conferences. Offer this kid a 'ship.
Go PONIES!
WildHorse
All-American

Postby No Cal Pony » Wed Aug 01, 2001 2:34 pm

They both sound good to me SMUguy. As to recruiting at Jesuit, put in a word to Coach Ringo. I know it is tough going for him, but these are guys in our back yard and should be given looks. As for dismissing a player out of hand because of his name...lame!

A local kid up here is headed to Cal. He was overlooked because his team was winless and not given attention, but this kid, a tough, hard worker, was scooped up by cal. Another, local player of the year, Richard Watson, is headed to utah st. Another, Adam Jennings, speedy, tough player, is headed to fresno st. Local kid, Dallas Sartz, a 6'5", 205 lb. saftey has committed to usc. Two big prospects from the area, Matt Traverso (a 6-6, 245lb. te/de) is still unsigned as is Tom Hoffart (a 6-3, 240 lb. dl) of Davis, CA. I know it is tough to recruit out west, but by golly, couldn't a kid named Dallas end up in the city? If a kid is gonna consider utah st., why not SMU? Let us not let the local kids get away, but let us use the visits out west to get some great talent. Let's beat fresno, sjsu, and nevada!

Go Ponies!
No Cal Pony
Varsity

Postby WildHorse » Wed Aug 01, 2001 5:26 pm

"As for dismissing a player out of hand because of his name...lame!"
I know - It was a joke. And apparently not a good one.
Go PONIES!
WildHorse
All-American

Return to Recruiting