PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Question for Coach Rob

Discuss SMU recruiting in this forum.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Question for Coach Rob

Postby Guest » Thu Aug 02, 2001 4:39 pm

Coach: were your three guys at Saturday's camp? How did they like it? Did they receive any offers? (And most importantly, what do you think the chances are that they'll accept?)

Keep on them, Coach. We need some local talent, and it sounds like your guys fit the bill.

Re: Question for Coach Rob

Postby PonyGirl » Fri Aug 03, 2001 7:29 pm

Check out this link:
<A HREF="http://www.tulsasooner.com/recruiting/prospects/cford.htm" TARGET=_blank>http://www.tulsasooner.com/recruiting/prospects/cford.htm</A>

Says Corey Ford has SMU ranked AHEAD of Texas A&M, OU, Florida State and somebody else.

Stay on him, Coaches!
PonyGirl
Varsity

Postby WildHorse » Sat Aug 04, 2001 7:08 pm

I do like how PonyGirl listed Baylor High as "somebody else." How fitting.

This is HUGE progress, that Corey likes us over those other schools. We need Coach Giles - or whoever's recruiting him - to basically move in at his house, follow him to class, whatever. And we need him to get his test scores up. Come home to SMU, Corey.
Go PONIES!
WildHorse
All-American

Postby Coach Rob » Sun Aug 05, 2001 5:25 pm

Our three top players were there, Jimmy Morris, Corey Ford, and Tim Stone, along with six other players from Skyline. Mario Johnson, 5'10 165lb WR,caught the eye of Coach Wingo and Quinton Scott,6'3 250lb DE, caught the eye of Coach Giles. So now we have five guys that the Mustangs are interested in at this time. I'll continue to do what I can to help the Mustangs.

Coach Rob
Coach Rob
Scout Team

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Aug 05, 2001 6:26 pm

thanks for your interest and support, coach. SMU really needs to keep some local kids home if we are ever going to win support from the Dallas community.
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Horseshoe » Mon Aug 06, 2001 8:32 pm

Hmmm.

How about a couple of Skyline bookends on the defensive line for a few years? Corey Ford on one side and Quinton Scott on the other? Start a little pipeline from Skyline to SMU.
Horseshoe
All-American

Postby DallasDiehard » Wed Aug 08, 2001 10:32 am

Hey Coach: The Morning News did a profile on Skyline in today's paper (good luck this season) and mentioned that Corey Ford is playing DT, not DE. True?

Also mentioned Quinton Coleman, a DT who goes 6-5, 280, according to the paper. So our obvious question is whether Coleman can play, or is he just a huge body? And does he have any interest in SMU? How are his grades? Can he qualify? Would he and Corey Ford and Jimmy Rogers all like to play together, in front of friends and family?
Rise up, Mustang Nation!
Go SMU!
DallasDiehard
Heisman

Postby Coach Rob » Wed Aug 08, 2001 12:28 pm

Yes, Jimmy Morris, Corey Ford and Quinton Scott would like to play together. Steven Coleman will be a junior this year. He is interested in SMU and qualifying won't be a problem for him, he is a great student.
Coach Rob
Scout Team

Postby PonyFan » Wed Aug 08, 2001 1:35 pm

Great! Help get them to the Hilltop, and then Steven Coleman can follow them next year. Is he really 6-5, 280 as a JUNIOR? Coaches must be drooling at this kid already.
"What kind of weirdo school are they running over there in Fort Worth?"
- Randy Galloway
ESPN Radio (103.3 FM)
PonyFan
Heisman

Postby No Cal Pony » Wed Aug 08, 2001 3:55 pm

This is all great news! Let's keep these kids coming form our back yard at home. Or at least put up a good fight doing so. Maybe local alums who have kids playing ball (or those who like to go to hs games) wear SMU shirts and hats, that can help with some free advertising. Let the kids know we are out there, and that we care and are interested. Keeping better recuits at home will also help us get some of those from nearby areas. We can't rely on Texas alone.

Me, I wear my SMU stuff around the Sacto area. Hope you all do the same.

Go Ponies!
No Cal Pony
Varsity

Postby Guest » Thu Aug 09, 2001 1:14 pm

I gotta attend a few Skyline games this year. Sounds like a good team with some future Ponies. No worries Cal Pony, I will sport the Mustang garb proudly.

Postby PonyPride » Thu Aug 09, 2001 3:52 pm

stangster, maybe you can get a group of PonyFans to go together. Maybe post on this board when you're going and where the games are being played. With a little advance notice, I'll grab some SMU gear and join you.
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Guest » Thu Aug 09, 2001 4:38 pm

Sounds good, lets get the Skyline Pipeline going. Need to revive the Kimball Connection in hoops too...or better yet football.

Postby Mickey » Fri Aug 10, 2001 8:42 am

DMN reports that Jimmy Morris has orally committed to Iowa State
Mickey
All-American

Postby HorsePower » Fri Aug 10, 2001 11:06 am

Why? CoachRob, how could this happen? Jimmy would rather live in Ames, Iowa, than Dallas? Now we NEED to get Corey Ford, Quinton Scott and (next year) Steven Coleman. Then Jimmy will transfer home, where he belongs.
HorsePower
Heisman

Next

Return to Recruiting