PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Teammates of Darrian's

Discuss SMU recruiting in this forum.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Teammates of Darrian's

Postby Guest » Tue Sep 11, 2001 2:36 pm

Several of Darrian's teammates were interested in verbally committing to SMU, I don't know about now. You know most players of a descent caliber would like to attend a school with a winning record or a record that can be build upon. But, this is hard to chew and the losing will continue. North Carolina, North Carolina State, and Fresno State. From the prospects view, it's the defense that's suffereing. they were on the field to long and the offense couldn't make any plays. The quarterback is too short !!!!
Most of the potential players and some that are red-shirted are weighing their options and wondering will they still be wanted under a new coach, and believe me there will be a new coach. These youngsters are simply in shock about the team and who can blame them.

Re: Teammates of Darrian's

Postby HorsePower » Tue Sep 11, 2001 9:29 pm

Is Darrian wavering at all? We need him, and he can be a star here. He can help us grow.
HorsePower
Heisman

Postby Vitale » Tue Sep 11, 2001 9:53 pm

Darrian made the right choice committing to SMU. He's going to be awesome in red & blue!
Vitale
All-American

Postby Guest » Wed Sep 12, 2001 8:40 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by HorsePower:
<B>Is Darrian wavering at all? We need him, and he can be a star here. He can help us grow.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Darrian is confused !!!!!!!

Postby Guest » Wed Sep 12, 2001 8:41 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Vitale:
<B>Darrian made the right choice committing to SMU. He's going to be awesome in red & blue!</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE> He truly wants to be ????

Postby Vitale » Wed Sep 12, 2001 4:29 pm

Glad to hear he truly wants to be a Mustang, and a great Mustang. We'd all be happy to talk to him (if that's allowed per NCAA rules) to help underscore the fact that he made the right choice. Confusion is understandable, but he made the right choice. He and SMU will have a great future together.
Vitale
All-American

Postby PK » Wed Sep 12, 2001 5:44 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MOTHEROF:
<B>Most of the potential players and some that are red-shirted are weighing their options and wondering will they still be wanted under a new coach, and believe me there will be a new coach. These youngsters are simply in shock about the team and who can blame them. </B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If these kids are truly Div.-1 quality players, then why would any new coach not want them. Now I do not know any of these kids nor have I seen them play, so I will give them the benefit of the doubt and say that any good coach would want them.

My hope is that if a decision is made to get a new coach, we don't wait until the end of the season to make that announcement. If we do, it will be a lost recruiting season.

I hope your son and these other kids do not make any rash decisions. The only commitment that counts is the one they sign in February. There is still plenty of time to see how these things work out. BTW UNC can be beaten!!!!
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Guest » Wed Sep 12, 2001 6:18 pm

UNC can be beaten - they're no good.
But this game should not be played.
There are more important issues to deal with.

Postby PK » Wed Sep 12, 2001 8:16 pm

You are right SasserRules and the powers that be also agree...the game has been rescheduled for Dec. 1 at which time we will beat them.
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Mickey » Sat Sep 15, 2001 1:04 pm

You mentioned that several of Darrian's high school teammates were interested in verbally committing but they want to attend a school with a winning record. Based on Bowie's game with Tyler John Tyler last night, does Bowie actually have that many D-1 players. Bowie was down 42-0 at the half. It appears that some of the Bowie players have a exaggerated opinion of themselves. I will bet that by the end of recruiting, many of these same players would willingly accept an offer from SMU. Believe me, Bowie does not have that many D-1 players and as far as I know SMU has only offered Darrian a scholarship and he has accepted. Maybe SMU is interested in some other Bowie players, but I don't think they that they are so good that they can discount an offer from SMU.

Most players will never play in the NFL. If they are, they will be discovered despite the record of the D-1 team for whom they may be playing. If they aren't good enough to play in college, I would certainly take a long hard lood at an SMU degree if the player wants to live and work in Dallas after college.
Mickey
All-American

Postby Guest » Sun Sep 16, 2001 9:13 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mickey:
<B>You mentioned that several of Darrian's high school teammates were interested in verbally committing but they want to attend a school with a winning record. Based on Bowie's game with Tyler John Tyler last night, does Bowie actually have that many D-1 players. Bowie was down 42-0 at the half. It appears that some of the Bowie players have a exaggerated opinion of
themselves. I will bet that by the end of recruiting, many of these same players would
willingly accept an offer from SMU. Believe me, Bowie does not have that many D-1
players and as far as I know SMU has only offered Darrian a scholarship and he has
accepted. Maybe SMU is interested in some
other Bowie players, but I don't think they
that they are so good that they can discount an offer from SMU.

Mikey,
it is obvious you didn't know that Bowie came back on JT after the ref's got out of the game and even though they lost the came they still came back. The ending score 42-27. Now, I can only speak for Darrian and we do have some questions about the program. Get your head out from what ever
rock it's under. An excellent college degree can come from any university in america. My son never speaks of playing in the NFL that's not his ultimate goal. His ultimate goal is earn his degree in Graphic Arts/Illustrations so that he can design Math computer programs for students with learning disabilities in that subject, and whether his degree comes from SMU or somewhere else he will get one. As stated before they have the right to have questions about the school, the team, the coaches, the record, whether it's a winning or losing one. Obvious you are the one with the attitude. There isn't a young athlete today that don't want to play for a winning team and since playing sports(any sport) is the only way some of these kids can go to school(SMU) ($30,000 or more a year) and unless you can contribute to them attending don't comment on them being selective. We expect the coaches when recruiting, to be honest about their positions, and their program. If the program is in trouble under their leadership, then say that, if the program is undergoing reconstruction then tell the perspective athlete. But, remember that when an perspective athlete commits orally to attend a school to play sports, it is primary because of the he or she has dealt with, the fact that they have been sold on that school. So please don't try to tell me about a degree from SMU and don't get me wrong either, SMU is an excellent school, But we are questioning and will continue to do so whether it's SMU or any where else.

Most players will never play in the NFL. If they are, they will be discovered despite the record of the D-1 team for whom they may be playing. If they aren't good enough to play in college, I would certainly take a long hard lood at an SMU degree if the player wants to live and work in Dallas after college.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Postby Red+BlueDude » Sun Sep 16, 2001 5:04 pm

MOTHEROF, you're right. SMU is an excellent school, and a degree from SMU is invaluable. But as you point out, people can succeed with a degree from many schools across the country. As SMU fans, we all want Darrian to do well and enjoy his college experience, just as we did at SMU.

Just as Bowie's loss does not reflect on the talents of Darrian or any other individual player on that team, SMU's record is not a reflection of the individual talent of every SMU player. Darrian, from what I've heard, is an excellent player. SMU also has many excellent players. What we need is more of them, and hopefully Darrian will be the leader of the new wave of talent at SMU. Remind Darrian that SMU is a great school, and close to home. Whether or not he ever reaches the NFL is irrelevant. As someone posted here earlier, if he's good enough, pro scouts will find him, whether he plays at Nebraska, SMU or a D-3 school. He needs to come to SMU because of the fact that he's a fine young man, by all accounts, and he has a chance to be a part of something special at SMU. I think it was Click who wrote that his son wanted to be a part of building SMU back to the level it should be, and I hope Darrian has that same desire. But wherever he ends up, we all wish him well.
Red+BlueDude
Varsity

Postby Guest » Sun Sep 16, 2001 10:37 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Red+BlueDude:
<B>MOTHEROF, you're right. SMU is an excellent school, and a degree from SMU is invaluable. But as you point out, people can succeed with a degree from many schools across the country. As SMU fans, we all want Darrian to do well and enjoy his college experience, just as we did at SMU.

Just as Bowie's loss does not reflect on the talents of Darrian or any other individual player on that team, SMU's record is not a reflection of the individual talent of every SMU player. Darrian, from what I've heard, is an excellent player. SMU also has many excellent players. What we need is more of them, and hopefully Darrian will be the leader of the new wave of talent at SMU. Remind Darrian that SMU is a great school, and close to home. Whether or not he ever reaches the NFL is irrelevant. As someone posted here earlier, if he's good enough, pro scouts will find him, whether he plays at Nebraska, SMU or a D-3 school. He needs to come to SMU because of the fact that he's a fine young man, by all accounts, and he has a chance to be a part of something special at SMU. I think it was Click who wrote that his son wanted to be a part of building SMU back to the level it should be, and I hope Darrian has that same desire. But wherever he ends up, we all wish him well.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Thank you
Red + BlueDude,
Darrian really wants to attend SMU and be apart the building of the team, and we really hope that Coach Cavan and his assistants will be there. I really like them all. He is still committed to SMU.
We are not swaying.

Postby Vitale » Mon Sep 17, 2001 1:06 pm

That's great news - Awesome with a capital A.

Of course we hope the Ponies turn around their start and win the rest of their games. But regardless of what happens, it's good to hear Darrian is committed to SMU, not just to SMU football. IF there is a change in coaches, SMU is still a great school, and will be a wonderful place for Darrian to join his brother. I hope we win enough that Cavan keeps his job, but if there is a change, I'm looking forward to seeing Darrian suit up next year.

Imagine the idea of Darrian and Marcus Walker lining up together as our defensive tackles for a few years. That's not to take away from Warrie Birdwell and the rest of the DT's. But Darrian and Marcus could be a very impressive pair. Can't wait.
Vitale
All-American

Return to Recruiting