PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Happy to see

Discuss SMU recruiting in this forum.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Happy to see

Postby BUS » Wed Oct 24, 2001 1:45 pm

the herd gathering. A couple points that I hold as truths.
If we stockpile players they need to be huge guys. This helps in practice and I believe you win this game at the line. Go to practice and see the small guys standing around. Do not think they will ever play. Get the big boys and maybe half will play by their junior year.

Dickerson and James had an advantage. TWO offensive lines. One for the first and third quarter and another for the second and fourth. Wear the other team down.

Is it time to accept and encourage Coach cavan and staff for next year? If we run off a winning streak are we turning the corner?
Go Mustangs
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Happy to see

Postby SMUguy » Wed Oct 24, 2001 3:59 pm

Let's see that winning streak before we start thinking about next year's staff. But I'm hoping he stays, because these recruits committed to play at SMU with Cavan as the coach. Most of them have said they are committed to the school, not to Cavan personally, but if he got replaced, would we be able to keep them all? This looks like a nice crop of players. Gilmore is a stud if he's able to recover from his knee injury. And all these big fellas: Billups is 295, Cherry is 300, Likio is 312 .... plus the other linemen. And a 6-7 tight end (who might bulk up to an offensive lineman maybe?) This is beautiful. Easily the BIGGEST class we've had since football returned, and maybe before (when 300-pound linemen weren't so common.)

Not ready to vote one way or the other on Cavan for next year. Let's see him reel off 4 or 5 wins in the last 6 games.
"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."
"Hit it."
SMUguy
Heisman

Postby PK » Wed Oct 24, 2001 4:30 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SMUguy:
<B> This is beautiful. Easily the BIGGEST class we've had since football returned, and maybe before (when 300-pound linemen weren't so common.)</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This may be the biggest CLASS, but prior to Cavan getting here and since 1989 we had at least one year in which SMU had one of the largest O-lines in the nation with an average height of 6'-5" and average weight in excess of 300 lbs. This may have been while we were still in the SWC (or maybe not), I can't remember for sure which year it was....any help BUS? I'm pretty sure it was while Rossley was head coach.

[This message has been edited by PK (edited 10-24-2001).]
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK

Postby BUS » Thu Oct 25, 2001 12:19 pm

Recruited as SWC then did some playing in WAC I think 6.41/2 and 314 was the number. Remember the third biggest line in Div I at the time. = Rossley's guys
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS

Postby PK » Thu Oct 25, 2001 1:55 pm

Thanks BUS!
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK

Return to Recruiting