PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

This year's class

Discuss SMU recruiting in this forum.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

This year's class

Postby Corso » Fri Oct 26, 2001 5:22 pm

Love the way the class is shaping up thus far. However ....

There's a general rule of thumb that every recruiting class should have a quarterback (unless the previous class had two stud QBs) and at least one running back. I'm not as concerned about running backs, because we seem to be well stocked there.

So, as much as I like the size and numbers we've added in the trenches, we need a QB, a couple of linebackers (inlding at least one big thick guy to stick inside, grooming him to replace Corey Riley and eventually Vic Viloria) and a strong defensive end (HELLO COREY FORD) to go along with the DT's. Another wide receiver maybe, and the rest should be more linemen. Can't get enough big guys.
Corso
Hall of Famer

Re: This year's class

Postby SMURecruiting » Fri Oct 26, 2001 6:53 pm

I agree with you. Except I dont think we should waste our time at QB. Bartel is the man, period. Ashton Nixon is a quality backup who is fast for his size and his position(4.5 i believe). I think we need to break it down like this:

Corey Ford- WE NEED THIS GUY
Taylor Schuster- Same as Ford
Another tall(6'3 plus) WR with good hands to
go along with Jay Taylor
Another LB, maybe 2. If we can get another
LB or two to go along with Don Stansbury,
that is a solid unit.
A full back. I know Cavan does not run a full
back but think about this. Shanderick
Charles has loads of talentbut is
undersized. If we could get a good blocking
full back, imagine what Charles could do.

That is what I think we who I think we should go after with our remaining 'ships. Of course I would take any quality player, but it would be nice to fill the above positions up.
SMURecruiting
Scout Team

Postby Corso » Sat Oct 27, 2001 1:08 am

Not so fast my friend!
I wouldn't go throwing away the chance to land a quarterback. I agree that Bartel has the tools to be excellent (although at practice the other day, he was throwing the ball almost sidearm, releasing the ball about shoulder-high. For someone 6-4 and with long arms, he should be coming over the top, which would be much more difficult to knock down.) And Nixon is a good-looking kid, but he's gotten a little run in practice at WR and DB, from what I hear. Is he even going to stay at QB?
If the Cavan/Kueck regime doesn't run a fullback, signing one would be a waste of a scholarship, and we can't afford to sign a player hoping we can turn him into a linebacker or a tight end or something else.
As for your other assessments:
Needing Corey Ford: Definitely
Needing Taylor Schuster: Definitely
Needing another tall WR: Doesn't everyone?
And let's not annoint ShanDerrick Charles to Dickerson status just yet. He had a great game against San Jose State, but a LOT of RBs have had great games against SJSU - their defense is pathetic. Put up another 200 tomorrow and then we can start talking more about the kid.
Corso
Hall of Famer

Postby click » Mon Oct 29, 2001 10:50 pm

Hey Corso,He put up another 200. Lets start talking about him
click
Scout Team

Postby Corso » Tue Oct 30, 2001 11:47 am

Ha! Hey click, allow me to dive face-first into this plate full of crow soufflé. I can talk all I want about how San Jose State and UTEP have ridiculous defenses -- which they do -- but the fact of the matter is that ShanDerrick Charles is on one hell of a hot streak. The young man can flat-out run. Having not made the trip to San Jose, that obviously was the first time I've seen him play. Wow. What an impressive showing for a freshman.

Now since it worked last time, I'll try it again: Let's see him put up another 200 and then we'll talk about him - some more!

GO PONIES! BEAT THE HELL OUT OF NEVADA
Corso
Hall of Famer

Postby click » Tue Oct 30, 2001 9:09 pm

Corso, I'm making the trip to Reno, I will e-mail as soon as the game is over.
click
Scout Team

Postby Corso » Tue Oct 30, 2001 10:03 pm

click - have a great trip to Reno, and I hope you have every reason to call me out again when you get back, because that means ShanD is putting up another 200+ yards and the Ponies are coming home winners.
Corso
Hall of Famer

Return to Recruiting