PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Effect of UTEP win

Discuss SMU recruiting in this forum.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Effect of UTEP win

Postby HorsePower » Sat Oct 27, 2001 8:11 pm

I'm hoping there were recruits at this game. All season Coach Cavan has been telling fans -- and I assume telling recruits -- that we've been THIS CLOSE to winning a lot of our games. A mistake here or there, and we'd have a couple more W's. But in this game, we made a bunch of penalties, eliminated those and slapped the Miners all the way back to El Paso. This is the first game I can remember that left me thinking SMU's athletic talent was head and shoulders above our opponent's. Maybe Coach Cavan is right. With a couple more playmaking studs on this team, we can put together a really nice team in the next couple of years.

Congratulations, Coaches! Great job getting the team ready and not letting them get down when we were down 14. All PonyFans are proud.
HorsePower
Heisman

Re: Effect of UTEP win

Postby BleedingRed+Blue » Sat Oct 27, 2001 8:23 pm

How would you like to be a running back considering SMU? When you consider the Ponies are bringing back Shan the Man, Keylon Kincade, Derron Brown and Kris Briggs (how far has THIS guy fallen in the coaches' eyes?) Hell, Brown and Pipkins got to run the ball before Briggs did anything but block on extra points. And he was a preseason Doak Walker Award candidate. Somehow I think his chances of winning the award are slim. But what a stable of Horses in the backfield!
BleedingRed+Blue
All-American

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Oct 27, 2001 11:13 pm

don't forget Earl Morris, another RS running back who is listed at 5-10, 203 lbs. He may well be another Briggs down the line. If we can keep these guys here and happy, we obviously have a pretty good stable of running backs and it wont be necessary to recruit that position this year. Running backs get hurt, though, so you need a lot of depth at that position. What we really need are a couple of good sized (220-240 lb) linebackers to go along with all those linemen we are attracting. Just keep getting bigger, stronger & faster. You rarely hear a coach complaining that his team lost because his guys were bigger, stronger & faster than the other team!
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Mickey » Sun Oct 28, 2001 11:09 am

Don't forget Matt Terry, RS from Florida. He and Hulsey Smith will count against the 2002 scholarships. Both Smith and Terry get their ships in January. Terry enrolled in the fall and has been on the team since August. Smith enrolls in Jan which is great as it means he could possibly have 5 spring sessions.

What I would really like to see is for SMU to sign a couple of big FBs to block for some of these guys like Shan Charles.
Mickey
All-American

Postby Mickey » Sun Oct 28, 2001 11:21 am

Mike Brown would be a good FB. That is what he was recruited for. Is he going to take his 5th year? How many players can SMU sign this year?
Mickey
All-American

Return to Recruiting