PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Outgoing Seniors

Discuss SMU recruiting in this forum.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Outgoing Seniors

Postby Guest » Wed Oct 31, 2001 6:47 pm

Maybe we should look at this year's class based on what players we're losing. As I see it, the biggest losses after this year will be: James McCarthy, Joey Slaten, Kevin Aldridge, Corey Riley and Bryan McDearman (don't laugh - all it takes is a holder who can't catch to make you realize how valuable he is. He's as important as almost anyone on the team.)
We're painfully thin on the offensive line, but I think we'll be OK at LB. Who'll take over as holder on placekicks?

Re: Outgoing Seniors

Postby Vitale » Sun Nov 04, 2001 10:15 pm

I'm betting the holder next year will be David Page, Cody Cardwell, John Hampton (kind of evokes memories of Jay Novacek, doesn't it?) or maybe Russ Davis.
Vitale
All-American

Re: Outgoing Seniors

Postby PerunaPunch » Tue Nov 06, 2001 7:15 pm

Funny, I was just looking at the depth chart to see what kind of team we'd field next year.

Loosing Slaten and McCarthy makes me quesy. Does this mean that Harris will crack the starting lineup by default? We're going to need some beef to be successful next year!

Loosing Aldridge is going to hurt bad too. But what about Markus Pratt? What's the word on him? Will Melvin Williams pack on another 20 or 30 lbs.?

Except for the O-line, I'm pretty excited. Will Bartel make a bid for the starting QB job? How will ShanDerrick and Keylon Kincade look with a few more pounds? Hampton, Cunningham, Ford, Cardwell and Freeman all have another year, as does Villoria and Garrett on the other side of the ball. Rutledge will be giving opposing coaches something to cuss about while reviewing game film for another couple of years too.

I'm pleased as punch (Peruna Punch of course) with the skill positions. Hopefully we can grab a few more Ws this year and get some momentum. Next year very well could be a breakout year for the club. It's the year when all those "young players" that Cavan has been blaming his failures on, become seniors.

IF (and that's a couple of BIG 330 lb. ifs) we can get a couple of the young brawlers step in for departing seniors on the O-line, we could have a hell of a team. If not, it'll look like the Nevada game every week.
"It's a couple hundred million dollars. I'm not losing sleep over it." -- David Miller
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Return to Recruiting