PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Q&A with Donnie Gilray

Discuss SMU recruiting in this forum.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Q&A with Donnie Gilray

Postby Recruiting Guru » Wed Nov 21, 2001 7:48 pm

SMU has received commitments from what appears to be the school's strongest recruiting class in years. Below is a Q&A with Rowlett quarterback Donnie Gilray.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Donnie Gilray
Quarterback
Rowlett High School

Height: 6'3"
Weight: 215
40-yard dash: 4.9
Bench press: 280
Squat: 370

Q: Tell us about your team (record, finish in the district, progress in the playoffs, etc.)
A: We were tied with N. Garland for district standings. Our loss to them gave them the playoff berth. The second half of that game was played on a Saturday due to huge storm on Friday. From that half, our offense really opened up with Coach Hardin started showing confidence. We won three of our last four games. The only loss in that run was Mesquite, who was No. 4 or No. 3 in the state. They went ahead after we did not go for a 4th-and-inches on Mesquite's 35 with less than two minutes to go.. A fumble in the fourth quarter started their comeback.

Q: What kind of offense does your school run?
A: Rowlett does a 1-back spread, which is new to Rowlett. Our juniors should lead a powerful team next year since they got a chance to see it in action. We started gelling late in the season. Progressionary reads were new to most of the receivers and myself. My high number of INT's (9) can be attributed to miscues between myself and the receiver.

Q: What were your statistics this year?
A: Dallas Morning News totals are incorrect. Even using their numbers for each game, the totals do not add up to the totals they reported. Final (unofficial) stats: 77-for-132, 904 yds, 6 touchdown passes, 9 interceptions.

Q: Tell us about some of the honors and awards you won this year.
A: New passing yardage record for school, Rowlett's first win against Garland, first win in Williams Stadium, 2-0 in overtime games. Player of the week several times. (Team football banquet on Dec. 3 is when any awards are announced.)

Q: What other sports do you play for your school?
A: I played tennis at Radford High School in Hawaii. I will be playing tennis and baseball here at Rowlett.

PonyFans.com: What are your strengths as a quarterback?
Gilray: Ball velocity and accuracy. I was told not to let up on my throws, even when receivers couldn't always handle them. I read well, don't panic on blitzes (burned several teams on the late screen).

Q: What were your favorite college/pro teams growing up?
A: Dallas Cowboys.

Q: Your dad mentioned something on <A HREF="http://www.PonyFans.com" TARGET=_blank>www.PonyFans.com</A> about you switching positions a few times. What other positions did you play? What was your reaction to moving to quarterback? What was the hardest adjustment to learning the new position?
A: Started as quarterback in seventh grade in Hawaii (city league). Hawaii doesn't have middle school football .... Freshman year starting quarterback, moved to varsity in the post season .... Sophomore - moved to offensive line (because of size: 6-2, 230). Halfway through the season Matt Manuma (now plays DB for Hawaii) broke his collarbone. My first snap as a varsity QB was as #77 and I was wearing a horse-collar .... Junior - moved to Copperas Cove, Texas when my dad retired from the Navy. After playing spring ball at the close of my sophomore year with Copperas Cove, my dad got a job in Garland. At Rowlett, I was played at DE, RB, and ended up as starting TE. I had only had one catch for 39 yards as TE. Their QB was Toby Speights, and I didn't have time to learn the offense .... Senior - starting QB. Wasn't foreign to me. I have always felt comfortable at QB. Playing TE was fun. DE was the hardest to adjust to at that stage in my career, but all those positions have helped me get a well-rounded football education.

Q: Did you want to play quarterback only in college, or did you consider any other schools that considered recruiting you at other positions?
A: Always wanted to play QB. My dad calls my arm a gift. He taught me how to throw and we were working timing patterns when I was 7. I moved to other positions intermittently just to play the game. I love football.

Q: What players (college or pro) you patterned yourself after or particularly admire?
A: John Elway. I watched the Pro Bowl where he made is last appearance in a uniform.

Q: What other schools recruited you?
A: Since I only had one year in Texas as a QB, I didn't have a lot of exposure. I went to SMU football camp and that's when the ball started rolling to play there. I also attended a one day camp at TCU.

Q: What made you decide to choose SMU?
A: When I first saw the campus. That's funny. I first saw the campus when I attended my sister's high school graduation at Moody Coliseum. Even before we got out of the van, I said "I want to go here". Two weeks later, Coach Cavan and Kueck told my parents that I can do everything they want a QB to do. Since Cavan played QB in college, that was a real compliment.

Q: SMU has four quarterbacks coming back next year in David Page, Kelan Luker, Richard Bartel and Ashton Nixon - have the coaches said anything to you about what it will take to earn playing time?
A: The original plan was to redshirt me for one year. Luker and Page would be gone before I actually played. I was told that my first year of training would be very rigorous.

Q: Does the forthcoming change in coaches at SMU affect your commitment to SMU?
A: No. I want to play at SMU. I will have to re-impress the new coaches, so I am starting a more focused weight lifting program.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks to Donnie for taking the time for this Q&A.
— Recruiting Guru

[This message has been edited by Recruiting Guru (edited 11-21-2001).]
Recruiting Guru
Varsity

Re: Q&A with Donnie Gilray

Postby Mickey » Wed Nov 21, 2001 8:35 pm

Who else was recruiting Donnie? If other schools were recruiting him then his decision to stay at SMU, in light of Cavan being fired, carries more weight. If SMU was the only school recruiting him then his firm commitment to the school doesn't mean as much.
Mickey
All-American

Postby Mickey » Fri Nov 23, 2001 10:32 am

I accept his word. I just wondered if he had other alternatives and offers from other schools. If he had other offers and is still committed to SMU, then he truly has made a choice of schools. I suspect, however, that many of the other commitments are not reaffriming their verbals until the coaching siutation is revolved. My post was not meant to be negative, just curious if Donnie had other offers. For that matter, I am still curious.

By the way, I saw Donnie in camp, and he caught my eye as well.
Mickey
All-American

Postby PonyTales » Sat Nov 24, 2001 9:15 pm

Can't wait to see Donnie suit up for the Ponies. Sounds like a great kid.
PonyTales
Heisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Nov 24, 2001 9:50 pm

I like to hear we are bringing in a guy who is not afraid of competition at the QB position. It will only make us better at a position we need to continue improving on.
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Pony Up » Mon Nov 26, 2001 7:53 pm

Right you are. Every good player at a position makes the others competing for the spot better. They can only push each other into better performances. Here's hoping we have a five-way battle in August, and that whoever starts benefits from the competition.
Proud to be a PonyFan
Pony Up
All-American

Postby stang_nm » Thu Nov 29, 2001 8:42 pm

who is Gilray. I have never heard of him. I was counting on Ricky Lay, or Kendrick Dozier, I don't see Gilray anywhere on the top recruits list. Not to say that he isn't good because i have never seen hime play but, is he any good. Is he going to bring competition to page and luker? someone fill me in...
stang_nm

Postby ProudPonyPa » Sun Dec 02, 2001 2:25 pm

Stang,

I am Donnie's dad. Before this season, Donnie didn't even play QB in Texas. He wouldn't be on the charts. He has played for 4 head coaches at 3 high schools because of my military career. His scholarship is based on what SMU saw during their summer camp. His story in on the recruiting board in different messages. I would call him the best kept secret in Texas high schools. Donnie wanted to play at SMU, so we started marketing him. University of Hawaii also knew about him since he played QB in high school in Hawaii (that's where he made his debut as QB). On our first attempt at marketing him, there was a match, so there was no need to look further. Here are some quotes from his three Texas high school head coaches:

Jack Welch (Copperas Cove - frequently in top 10 5A in Texas): "We don't want to lose Donnie" said to me when he was looking for a job for me in the area (I had just retired from the Navy and Copperas Cove is my hometown). Donnie played Spring ball with CC while I was looking for my new career.

Tommy Watkins (Rowlett - one of Texas top 5 winningest high school coaches who retired last year):
Said to Donnie: "You don't belong in high school football. You throw like a pro." and "Who taught you how to throw a football" [answer] "Well, he taught you right!" Donnie ended up at TE/DE that year because of his late arrival.

Kiff Hardin (New head coach at Rowlett, took Gatesville to 3A championship in 2000): "I wish I had known Donnie as a sophomore..." when discussing his offense and the chance to teach Donnie more about it.
ProudPonyPa
Varsity

Return to Recruiting