PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

SMU recruit switches commitment

Discuss SMU recruiting in this forum.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

SMU recruit switches commitment

Postby PonyPride » Wed Dec 19, 2001 1:00 pm

Tight end Craig Kuhrt (Bastrop) has changed his commitment from SMU to Iowa State, according to today's Dallas Morning News. Kuhrt (6-7, 240) said it had nothing to do with the switch in coaching staffs at SMU, saying instead that he simply wanted to "play at a Big 12 school."
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: SMU recruit switches commitment

Postby SMUguy » Wed Dec 19, 2001 1:18 pm

Recruiting Guru, can you confirm this? I don't take the DMN as fact, since they're often wrong. Once Recruiting Guru says it, THEN it's fact.

Guru, if this is true, do you know of any story behind the decision? There's got to be more to it than this kid wanting to play at a Big 12 school - I don't think Iowa State counts, anyway
"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."
"Hit it."
SMUguy
Heisman

Postby Recruiting Guru » Wed Dec 19, 2001 4:09 pm

It's true - he's headed to Iowa State.

He's a fine player, and he has great height, obviously. But I'm not sure this is as great a loss as some PonyFans might fear it is. He's a fine player at the level of competition he's facing now, which is not exactly 5A football. He is not fast at all. He's still an imposing figure, and would be fine in short-yardage situations where you could throw the ball up and let him reach over smaller defenders for it, but John Hampton looks like a sprinter next to this guy. He has talent, but he's not a threat downfield. He says Iowa State is going to play him at tight end - count on him switching positions within a year or two, maybe even in August. No matter what school he ends up at.

There was some talk that if he signed with SMU, he'd bulk up and play offensive line because his frame would allow him to add alot of weight. That's a great plan, and a lot of college coaches do that - sign a tall lanky kid and try to stick 50 pounds on him in the hope that he can keep his mobility and be an effective blocker. But there is no way of projecting which players will retain their quickness with added weight and which ones will slow down.

Count on Coach Bennett to get another quality player with the scholarship.
Recruiting Guru
Varsity

Postby Fox 7 Sports » Mon Dec 24, 2001 4:47 pm

I'm sorry that I've been on vacation for the past week so I couldn't confirm. But Craig has in fact switched to Iowa State. The potential to start as a freshman in the Big 12 apparently was a great enticement. I've left messages with him to call me or e-mail me for further details. When I get those, I'll pass on what happened in more detail.
<A HREF=\"http://199.170.228.120/dynamic/story.asp?category=4\" TARGET=_blank>Austin Area Prospects</A>
Fox 7 Sports
Junior Varsity

Return to Recruiting