PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

New source of recruits?

Discuss SMU recruiting in this forum.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

New source of recruits?

Postby Phil Fan » Fri Dec 21, 2001 12:50 pm

I was looking at a list of state and Dallas area top 100 players, and looked at players who were considering Kansas State, and thought maybe Coach Bennett could convince them to play for him at SMU.

The best choice is Houston Madison QB Vincent Young (6-5, 205), who is considered among the best players in the nation - Bobby Burton has him as the #11 player in the country, and #3 in the state. He's listed as considering Texas, Miami, Florida State, Kansas State and Arkansas.

Others who have considered Kansas State:
- Lewisville RB Michael Sampson (6-2, 190) - Georgia Tech, Kansas State, Mizzou, Louisiana Tech (#68 in the state, #32 in the area)
- San Antonio Madison Anthony Airline (6-2, 175) - SMU, Texas Tech, Kansas State, Oklahoma State, Baylor (#87 in the state)
- Mansfield OL Jeremy Clary (6-7, 277) - Committed to Oklahoma State, but previously considered SMU, Nebraska, Arizona State, A&M and OK State (state #97)
- Arlington (Lamar) LB Sean Lowe (6-3, 215) - Clemson, Kansas State, Stanford, A&M (area #92)
- Dallas (Carter) DB Lance Laurie (6-2, 227) - Alabama, Kansas, K-State, TCU (area #96)
Phil Fan
Junior Varsity

Re: New source of recruits?

Postby PonyTales » Wed Jan 02, 2002 7:27 pm

Clary is now committed to Kansas State. Maybe we can change his mind again. The kid is huge.
PonyTales
Heisman

Postby PonyExpress » Wed Jan 09, 2002 5:58 pm

Last I read, Young has eliminated K-State from his list. I think he's down to Arkansas, Florida State (or maybe it's Miami) and LSU
PonyExpress
Junior Varsity

Postby Fox 7 Sports » Thu Jan 10, 2002 2:59 am

For what it is worth, at the US Army All-America game over the weekend in San Antonio where he was MVP, Vincent Young was saying it was basically down to Texas and Miami. He went onto say if Brock Berlin transferred to the 'Canes, it would likely seal the deal for the Longhorns. He is supposed to be taking his official visit to Austin this weekend and then I believe he heads to Arkansas & Miami the following weekends.

And as for Arline, after waffling a bit the past couple of weeks, he appears to be committed to Tech. He suffered some kind of injury before the US Army All-America game but is expected to make it to Lubbock this fall.

I saw both Young & Arline in person this fall and both are terrific players. Young may be the best high school quarterback I've ever seen. He's that good.

[This message has been edited by Fox 7 Sports (edited 01-10-2002).]
<A HREF=\"http://199.170.228.120/dynamic/story.asp?category=4\" TARGET=_blank>Austin Area Prospects</A>
Fox 7 Sports
Junior Varsity

Return to Recruiting