PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Recruiting 02

Discuss SMU recruiting in this forum.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Recruiting 02

Postby Mickey » Sat Dec 22, 2001 10:16 am

I count that we will have 20 scholarships available this year including the two that will be awarded this next semester (Smith and Terry) and Pratt and Mike Brown coming back. We currently have 14 commitments as follows:
4OL,1WR, 1QB, 1RB, 4DL, 1LB, and 2DB. Wish list on the next 6: OL's Darrin Johnson and/or Taylor Schuster recommit to SMU from their verbals to TAM, DE Corey Ford who has committed to BU. If we can't get these guys back, the 6 needs rank as follows: 1TE,1LB,1OL,1DL,1WR,1CB.
Mickey
All-American

Re: Recruiting 02

Postby MustangFan » Mon Dec 24, 2001 1:20 am

Mickey, are you sure Brown and Pratt are coming back? Sure hope so.
I was under the impression Brown was done and heading to graduate school - not true?
MustangFan
All-American

Postby Mickey » Mon Dec 24, 2001 10:20 am

MustangFan, Not sure that either Brown OR Pratt will be back, but the rumor is both want to return. Brown will have to take some graduate courses as he is scheduled to graduate in May.
We could use both of them. We lost 2 DE's (Aldreidge and Patman) and we need a pass rush and that is what Pratt does best. Brown is a great HBack and tremendous blocker as TE or as lead blocker out of 2 back set. Hope they both return.
Mickey
All-American

Postby Mickey » Mon Dec 24, 2001 10:25 am

MustangFan, Re-read your post and wanted to make sure I answered your question. I have also heard that Brown will graduate, so that is probably true. However, he still has a year of elgibility so he can take some graduate courses while still playing his final year. This is a great deal for both SMU and Brown. SMU gets a 3 year letterman back, and Brown gets to start working on a graduate degree on SMU's tab. Heard that he is a great kid and will do us proud.
Mickey
All-American

Postby MustangFan » Tue Dec 25, 2001 12:29 am

Mickey, your sources are right -- M. Brown is as fine a young man as SMU could hope for. He's bright, hard-working, he has his priorities in order, he's extremely ambitious, etc. I've also seen him interact with kids (at a Red/Blue scrimmage a couple of years ago) and he charmed a bunch of young PonyFans, too. We'll all benefit if he comes back for another year. Either way, he's one Mustang we can all root for in the future.
MustangFan
All-American

Postby MustangMan » Tue Dec 25, 2001 1:03 am

Has anyone got an update on new commitments or players who have jumped ship? Recruiting Guru? Peruna Punch? Corso? Mickey? PonyFan?
Anyone?
MustangMan
Junior Varsity

Return to Recruiting