PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Conversation with Former Commit Craig Kuhrt

Discuss SMU recruiting in this forum.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Conversation with Former Commit Craig Kuhrt

Postby Fox 7 Sports » Wed Dec 26, 2001 2:35 am

Bastrop (TX) TE Craig Kurht recently switched his verbal commitment from SMU to Iowa State. He has offers from Wyoming, SWT, SMU, Sam Houston and strong interest from scores of other schools. Here's our conversation with him:

Fox 7 - What made you choose SMU earlier this year?

Craig - Really, it that time it was my only scholarship offer. And I knew it was a good school academically and I originally wanted to play Division I-A football in the state of Texas.

Fox 7 - Did the coaching change play a significant role in you reassessing your decision?

Craig - Defeinitely. After the coavhing change, I was still talking with my recruiting coach. Two months went by without hearing from a head coach. That made me feel uneasy about going three hours away from home to school and I didn't even know the head coach.

Fox 7 - When did Iowa State come into the picture recruiting you?

Craig - Iowa State probably offered me a scholarship about two weeks after I committed to SMU. But it didn't get real serious until I took my visit up there. Then it was just too much and I committed.

Fox 7 - When did you make the official visit up there?

Craig - I went up there on December 15th, I believe. The city was beautiful. There's no traffic. Its just like Austin without the traffic, and that's a major plus. I went to UT this summer, and their facilities were just as good as UT's if not better. The coaching staff is a young coaching staff and it seemed like they were liked real well by the players from what I could hear from my host (QB Cris Love out of Round Rock) and others up there. There were a lot of guys from Texas up there.

Fox 7 - What really sealed the deal for you with the Cyclones?

Craig - What really got me was when the equipmewnt manager brought me into the lockerroom and they had my name and number on a jersey with that Big XII logo on it. It really [deleted] away. I committed later that night at the dinner. It was pretty big deal.

Fox 7 - And they want you to play tight end, correct?

Craig - Yeah. The most important part was that all of the other schools were recruiting me as either an offensive tackle or an offensive tackle/tight end. But they only had one tight end on scholarship and he's graduating to go to the NFL. So if that's not enticement, I don't know what is.

Fox 7 - So are you through with the recruiting process?

Craig - The next day when I got back, I called everybody that I had been dealing with on the phone that I was appreciative. I have hefty bags full of letters and I'm throwing them away. This is a real stress reliever. The only way I won't go to Iowa State is if UT called my house before February 6th. It was good enough for me to go out of state, so it had to be something special.

------------------
<A HREF="http://199.170.228.120/dynamic/story.asp?category=4" TARGET=_blank>Austin Area Prospects</A>
<A HREF=\"http://199.170.228.120/dynamic/story.asp?category=4\" TARGET=_blank>Austin Area Prospects</A>
Fox 7 Sports
Junior Varsity

Re: Conversation with Former Commit Craig Kuhrt

Postby ProudPonyPa » Wed Dec 26, 2001 6:45 pm

Craig,

Congratulations on your decision. I was looking forward to seeing you play tight end at SMU. Good luck on the Cyclones.

SMU Coaches,

His decision process certainly is food for thought.
ProudPonyPa
Varsity

Return to Recruiting