PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Can someone explain to me

Discuss SMU recruiting in this forum.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Can someone explain to me

Postby Guest » Sat Dec 29, 2001 10:03 pm

The schedule, in terms of "dead periods" and "quiet periods"?
And what's the difference between the two?
thanks

Re: Can someone explain to me

Postby SMUFinns » Sun Dec 30, 2001 3:01 am

This link should help out
<A HREF="http://www.dallasnews.com/sports_day/colleges/recruiting/STORY.eafc959784.b0.af.0.a4.431f7.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.dallasnews.com/sports_day/colleges/recruiting/STORY.eafc959784.b0.af.0.a4.431f7.html</A>

if not, visit " ncaa.org "

or see this quick out line :--

"Quiet and dead periods aren't very different. A quiet period means that a coach can talk to an athlete but only on the college campus. The coach can't show up for an in-home visit. The dead period means no phone calls, visits or anything by a college coach.

"But a kid can call a coach any time during any period," recruiting expert Bobby Burton said. "The coach can talk to the kid only if the kid calls."

The dead period during the recruiting season occurs during the bowl season. This year, that dead period began the day before North Texas and Colorado State competed in the New Orleans Bowl, the first college football bowl game of the season.

The NCAA started the dead period to level the playing field. If a college were preparing for a bowl game, it wouldn't have as good a chance to visit players as a school that wasn't in a bowl. So to avoid penalizing the bowl teams, the NCAA doesn't allow any visits or calls during the bowl season. "

Go Mustangs Go
Power Mustangs "Now is the Time" They will believe in #PonyUp
SMUFinns
Junior Varsity

Postby smudad » Sun Dec 30, 2001 11:48 am

The NCAA started the dead period to level the playing field. If a college were preparing for a bowl game, it wouldn't have as good a chance to visit players as a school that wasn't in a bowl. So to avoid penalizing the bowl teams, the NCAA doesn't allow any visits or calls during the bowl season. "

Talk about a bias!?
The ultimate visit a coach can pay is via the tube in a kid's living room during bowl season. And the NCAA can't or won't recognize that? That organization remains the most intentionally out-of-touch group in the world - worse than the UN. At least those delegates are sworn to protect their own interests.

[This message has been edited by smudad (edited 12-30-2001).]
Long live Thomas Sowell!
smudad
Varsity

Postby SMUFinns » Sun Dec 30, 2001 6:35 pm

Lets consider this novel idea ( Ha Ha ) :-
"If you do not go to a Bowl Game you have a chance of recruiting high caliber players "

Why is this so terrible ?? What's the history of the NCAA trying to have a level playing field with this rule ?

Does this type of level playing field ensure that the best players have a better chance of going to the better / best FB - Colleges !!

Good players will always shine no matter where they are, it is understandable that certain colleges produce prominent players, some of whom are portrayed due to the program rather than individual ability but this is not an exact science.

Here's wishing the new head coach and all his staff along with the New and existing Mustangs the very best for the new year.

Go Mustangs Go
Power Mustangs "Now is the Time" They will believe in #PonyUp
SMUFinns
Junior Varsity

Postby ProudPonyPa » Mon Dec 31, 2001 4:07 am

I can tell you about a LONG period if you have a recruit in your house. Between now and February 6th!
ProudPonyPa
Varsity

Postby MustangMan » Mon Dec 31, 2001 12:46 pm

So when do the quiet/dead periods end? Read in the DMN (on-line) that Texas Tech got a couple of commitments yesterday. Are we not in a dead period?

Need some new commitments for the Ponies.
MustangMan
Junior Varsity

Postby Fox 7 Sports » Mon Dec 31, 2001 1:46 pm

For what it is worth, there have been a flurry of verbal commitments during the dead period. One of the big reasons why is prospects finally get a break from all of the hassle and can honestly think about what they are looking for without the pressure. Starting this coming week, the recruiting pressure intensifies and many players want to get it over with as soon as possible.

As the prior articles state, prospects can call coaches and announce their intentions. And of course, reporters who cover recruiting (like us) have no restrictions during the dead period so the flow of information doesn't stop. In fact, I find it much easier to reach players now than during the season or January. Of course, I leave the kids alone during the holidays ... who wants to be the Grinch that stole Christmas?
<A HREF=\"http://199.170.228.120/dynamic/story.asp?category=4\" TARGET=_blank>Austin Area Prospects</A>
Fox 7 Sports
Junior Varsity

Postby ProudPonyPa » Tue Jan 01, 2002 4:49 am

Fox 7 - did you ever post messages on an old forum from [deleted] Butkus' site? I think it was called High School Honor Roll. That Grinch phrase as associated with recruiting rang a bell.
ProudPonyPa
Varsity

Postby Fox 7 Sports » Tue Jan 01, 2002 5:37 pm

We post on a bunch of sites, but not [deleted]'s.
<A HREF=\"http://199.170.228.120/dynamic/story.asp?category=4\" TARGET=_blank>Austin Area Prospects</A>
Fox 7 Sports
Junior Varsity

Postby ProudPonyPa » Tue Jan 08, 2002 12:22 am

Coach Edmundson told Donnie the dead period ends on January 14th. That is the only source from which I have heard an actual date.
ProudPonyPa
Varsity

Return to Recruiting