PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

New Bennett target?

Discuss SMU recruiting in this forum.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

New Bennett target?

Postby Recruiting Guru » Wed Jan 09, 2002 2:03 pm

Coach Phil Bennett has gotten the Ponies in on the race for Oklahoma City (McGuinness) DB Campbell Black (6-4, 195, 4.53).

Widely considered to be among the top 50 players at any position in Oklahoma and among the top 10 DB prospects in the nation, he's choosing between SMU, Northwestern, Kansas and Rice.

He's very tall for a defensive back, and could add weight to become a linebacker. Exceptional speed for a player of his size. Would be a very nice addition to the SMU defense. He was thought to have turned his attention elsewhere, but recently has started thinking about SMU again.

[This message has been edited by Recruiting Guru (edited 01-09-2002).]
Recruiting Guru
Varsity

Re: New Bennett target?

Postby RedRiverPony » Wed Jan 09, 2002 3:09 pm

Campbell is looking at SMU? That's awesome. Hardest-hitting DB I've ever seen, fast and real smooth. Looking at the schools he's considering, I guess he's a great student, too.
RedRiverPony
All-American

Postby ShanDtheMan » Wed Jan 09, 2002 6:49 pm

Sounds too good to be true. Hope he ends up with the Ponies
ShanDtheMan
Scout Team

Postby PonyTales » Thu Jan 10, 2002 12:45 pm

How many safeties is SMU going to carry on its roster? As I see it (and I don't have a roster in front of me), we have Leroy Price, Rico Harris, Matt Rushbrook, Alvin Nnabuife, T.J. James, Matt Terry, Chris Godfrey, Travis Hunt and Ruben Moodley coming back, plus however many of the committed DBs for next year - doesn't that Kelvin Cox kid play safety?

If Campbell Black is as good as they say he is, bring him and we'll find a place for him. Just wondering if there are other positions that should be higher priority.
PonyTales
Heisman

Postby smu'06 » Sat Jan 12, 2002 12:23 am

Hell -
At 6.4 with his speed - we can put him in as another Wide Out, on Special Teams, at DB, or wherever he fits into the system.
University of South Carolina Student and Fan
SMU Fan and possible Law Student
smu'06
Junior Varsity

Return to Recruiting