PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Looking ahead to next year

Discuss SMU recruiting in this forum.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Looking ahead to next year

Postby SMU00 » Fri Feb 22, 2002 7:10 pm

Looking at the SMU roster, this year's senior class looks like a really strong one:
Kris Briggs
Brent Briggs
Warrie Birdwell
Lute Croy
Cody Cardwell
Chris Cunningham
Judson Davis
Billy Ford
Johnnie Freeman
Kevin Garrett
John Hampton
D.D. Johnson
James Orr
Eric Peterson
Vic Viloria
Justin Williams
Billy Jack Williams

Looking at this list, I'd say our top priorities in next year's class should be wide receiver (even with the recent additions of Jay Taylor, Trey Griffin, Cedric Vinson, James Elliott and Daniel Francis), a pass-catching tight end, about four big defensive tackles and a big group of linebackers to try to replace Vic Viloria. He's like Chris Bordano - he'll be really tough to replace.

And of course, if we can find another CB who runs a 4.2 to step in for Garrett, that would help, too.

Your thoughts?
SMU00
Junior Varsity

Re: Looking ahead to next year

Postby PK » Fri Feb 22, 2002 8:12 pm

My first though is I can't beleive these guys are all going to be seniors....already. I hope for their sake that they have a great senior season. Interestingly enough, some posters have seemed to be concerned that it looked like we had too many WR's & possible WR's in this year's class.....maybe not! Next year's class will definately need a replacement for Hampton unless we already have a sleeper on board to step into his place after this year.

Looking at the list of seniors next year, I'm thinking the coaches knew better than us what they really needed to fill out this year's class. It will be interesting to see what Coach Bennett and his staff can do with a full year of recruiting under their belts.
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Mickey » Fri Feb 22, 2002 10:46 pm

Add Thornton Chandler to that list.
Mickey
All-American

Postby SMU00 » Sun Feb 24, 2002 8:22 pm

My mistake - didn't mean to leave off Chandler. What's the word on him? Think he'll have a strong final season?
SMU00
Junior Varsity

Postby PonyTales » Wed Feb 27, 2002 4:41 pm

I'm thinking wide receiver needs to be a major priority for us with Comet, Cardwell, Ford and Freeman graduating.

That, and of course, a few dozen linemen in the 6-6, 320-pound range.
PonyTales
Heisman

Postby Corso » Mon Mar 11, 2002 11:37 pm

With the defense that Coach Bennett teaches, linebackers are at a premium. He sends so many at the QB that they need to be shuttled in and out to stay fresh. Vic is a warrior who may never come off the field, but we will lose several in the next two years, so we need to add a bunch in next year's class.
Corso
Hall of Famer

Postby smu'06 » Sat Mar 16, 2002 1:09 pm

Let's run the Fun and Gun
5 wide-out front and burn the hell out of our WAC opponents. With some of the speed in the wide out corps - there is no reason we can't over ride there defense...our go with a 4 wide out front - have Shan D. in the back - if no one is open run Shan. D. on the screen.

Just an idea.
University of South Carolina Student and Fan
SMU Fan and possible Law Student
smu'06
Junior Varsity

Postby whatasteve » Sun Mar 17, 2002 9:26 pm

And a damn good idea. That's the offense Spurrier is putting in in Washington, and from what I've read, the other teams in the NFC East already are planning to load up on DBs. Remember, when Rossley was our head coach (or offensive coordinator), we ran those sets with 4 or 5 WRs, and we had an exciting, somewhat potent offense - very potent, when you consider the caliber of athlete we had then compared to now. Romo and Freiburger were flinging the ball all over the place, and we were putting up points. I'd love to see Coach Bennett make that his base offense. Don't think it will happen, of course, but it sure would be entertaining. That, plus our defense, and we're a fairly solid team.
whatasteve
Junior Varsity

Return to Recruiting