PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Don't make the same mistake twice

Discuss SMU recruiting in this forum.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Don't make the same mistake twice

Postby Recruiting Guru » Thu Mar 28, 2002 6:24 pm

OK, PonyFans. There's a kid in SMU's back yard that needs to end up in red and blue. Kyle Thornton is an offensive lineman and defensive lineman at Dallas St. Mark's. He's the younger brother of UTexas defensive end Kalen Thornton, and the son of former Dallas Cowboys offensive lineman Bruce Thornton.

When Kalen was a senior at St. Mark's a few years ago, he was told by SMU coaches that just because he was whipping up on private school competition didn't mean he could play Div. I football. Nonetheless, he became the subject of a recruiting war between such football nobodies as Texas, Michigan, Notre Dame, etc. He signed with UT, started as a true freshman, became a freshman All-America and before his sophomore year last year was called by UT's defensive coordinator "the best defensive player on the team" -- a team that included highly-touted DE Cory Redding, DB Quentin Jammer (likely top 10 pick in next month's draft) and a slew of others. In other words, the bloodlines are there and the talent is there. SMU misjudged the fact that he he couldn't play, simply because he was being blocked (barely) by guys half his size.

When Kalen graduated, he was about 6-4, 270. Kyle is ending his junior year of school as the team's best player -- by miles -- a capable basketball player and a champion thrower on the track team. He's 6-4, and at the end of football season he already was in the 290-300 pound range. He's remarkably quick for a player his size, has inherited his father's footwork as a blocker and is a nasty player who is a ferocious blocker, regardless of an opponent's size.

Not only would Kyle be a great addition to the SMU line (offensive or defensive -- he's being recruited mostly as an offensive lineman), but there's a third brother on the way. The youngest is nothing like his very big brothers - he's a slender, lightning-quick athlete who can play DB, WR or RB -- but he's a few years away.

Someone please encourage Coach Bennett to get a recruiter over to St. Mark's immediately. Kyle Thornton can play, and needs to be kept at home.
Recruiting Guru
Varsity

Re: Don't make the same mistake twice

Postby BennettBacker » Mon Apr 08, 2002 1:45 pm

No danger of Coach Bennett overlooking this guy. I found him on the Internet listed at 6-5, 300 and running a 5.1 40-yard dash. That's quick for a player of his size, and it's obvious there's talent in that family (based on Kalen's success at Texas and their dad's pro career.) Believe me, Coach Bennett knows who he is.

How good is Saint Mark's? Do they play teams with any big linemen, or is Kyle just crushing people every week?
BennettBacker
Scout Team

Postby Hoss » Fri Apr 12, 2002 8:13 pm

From what I've read here, give me Jorrie Adams, Kyle Thornton and Steven Coleman and any other 20-22 guys you want, and that would be a nice class. And we know Coach Bennett will do better than 20-22 stiffs.
Hoss
All-American

Postby Hoss » Fri Apr 12, 2002 8:14 pm

Didn't mean to overlook Ricky Joe - he's no stiff. Told you Coach would do better. Now let's get the big fellas committed.
Hoss
All-American

Postby Phil Fan » Mon Apr 15, 2002 5:49 pm

I'd guess that if Mack Brown offers Kyle a scholarship, it might be tough to keep him out of Austin. Kalen says they're really close.
Phil Fan
Junior Varsity

Postby The Q » Tue Apr 16, 2002 12:36 pm

I've never seen Kyle Thornton play, but I've talked to people who have. They tell me he's a monster, and we need him at SMU.
The Q
Varsity

Postby Vitale » Fri Apr 19, 2002 7:45 pm

I hear he went to camp last summer at Georgia Tech, of all places.
Hopefully he makes better decisions than George O'Leary.
Vitale
All-American

Postby Recruiting Guru » Tue Jul 16, 2002 12:48 pm

From what I'm hearing, Texas does not plan to offer Kyle Thornton a scholarship. Maybe they think they have too many top offensive linemen. Maybe they think that because he and Kalen are close, he'll go to UT, anyway, as a walk-on. With their dad's NFL background and based on the fact that the Thorntons all attend one of the most expensive private schools in Texas, the family certainly could afford to pay the UT tuition.

I don't think that's it, though. I don't think they're counting on the Thornton brothers' closeness to essentially land an extra scholarship player without burning a scholarship. The overload of massive, talented blockers in Austin appears to be making things crowded for a player like Kyle. He needs to look elsewhere.
Recruiting Guru
Varsity

Postby SMUFinns » Tue Jul 16, 2002 1:17 pm

I wonder if this is the same player I have been watching him during the private schools 7 on 7 over the last 3-4 weeks.

Now, I'm not a football expert but he sure is big, no! not big, "A Man child in the making" I can see him crushing anyone and anything as he breaks from his stance.

Imagine:- Reggie White or any such player rushing against an average college D-Lineman.
Result = No Contest!

He has quick feet, soft hands and appears to run his assignments well.
He looks much older than all the other players our there and should have started shaving two years ago.

The next 7 on 7 will be at ESD tonight, I'll try to confirm if this is Kyle or just a copy.

"Mustangs are Trotting"
"Mustangs will Gallop"
"Mustangs with Thunder foot"
" Mustang Defense rules "
Power Mustangs "Now is the Time" They will believe in #PonyUp
SMUFinns
Junior Varsity

Postby Pony4Life » Sat Jul 20, 2002 7:01 pm

Kyle and his St. Mark's teammates took part in a team camp at SMU, and I hear he had a great time. And he's every bit as impressive as you thought, Finns. He was clocked at a 4.9 in the 40, which is lightning-quick for a guy in the 300-305 range.
Fountain of youth
Giver of truth
Six parts gin
One part vermouth
Pony4Life
Heisman

Return to Recruiting